MS180 - cracked head/cylinder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steved

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Came across something the other day. Father has an MS180 that has cut a lot of wood...it is his primary saw these days that he is 75, that 029 Super is just a little too heavy.

He said it was running funny, but only acted up when it got hot. He thought it was a fuel issue, but looking into it further, he found carbon around the spark plug (which was tight), a broken fin, and what appears to be a crack running through the spark plug hole. Sorry, no pictures as he relayed this over the phone.

He ordered a new cylinder and piston from Stens to repair it. This is the first major issue we have ever ran into with any of our Stihls, I assume it's not common? He was going to buy a new saw until he found the kit from Stens.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I know there was a recall on some of the MS391s for a flywheel...mine's not one.

Yeah, just haven't had a Stihl issue before...his 029 has cut a lot of wood over the years. He takes good care of he stuff.

I'm going to chock it up to a one-off failure...it happens.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back