Carb adjustment laws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoesnsocks

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I know this may sound weird to pretty much everyone but just as a disclaimer, I am not interested in breaking any of the laws concerning Carb adjustments.

I have an old Echo 302s that is not running right and I was going to start by adjusting the carb. All it needs is a small flathead screwdriver for adjustments. I have looked at the service manual in the past and there are not any fancy specs in there for the carb to meet any EPA requirements.

Am I allowed to adjust it, being just a consumer? Are there even any requirements for a saw this old or does it come from an age with very minimal to none regulations?

I know this may sound weird to pretty much everyone but just as a disclaimer, I am not interested in breaking any of the laws concerning Carb adjustments.

I have an old Echo 302s that is not running right and I was going to start by adjusting the carb. All it needs is a small flathead screwdriver for adjustments. I have looked at the service manual in the past and there are not any fancy specs in there for the carb to meet any EPA requirements.

Am I allowed to adjust it, being just a consumer? Are there even any requirements for a saw this old or does it come from an age with very minimal to none regulations?
Adjust away without any fear of jail time!:)

The newer saws have plastic limiting attachments. The purpose of the limit on adjusters is to keep motor operation on the lean side to limit excess smoke and pollution and thus you have EPA involvement. Most saws that I have messed with are easy to remove plastic limiters so I would have to think that is by design anyway. I will not debate the effectiveness of saw operations with pollution. I prefer older saw or older designs because older saw designs are easy to work on. The older design have a little more available HP. A good example is the Husky 372 kit which runs a little stronger than the over the counter Husky 372. If your saw are not tuned to a proper spectrum it will fail. Or keep it well tuned so you can cut another day. Thanks

“Just a consumer”??

That stuff is yours, do what you want with it. Make damn sure it is blowing some smoke, especially on startup. That’ll get the Environmental Nazis going..

The adjuster holes would be fixed and sealed up if you weren't expected to work on them. Some early 80's carbs were this way on vehicles. Dealers have tools that let them bypass the limiters and then put them back.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I am not scared of getting in trouble for it. There's just no way that would ever happen. I just believe in following man's laws so long as it does not require me to break my moral code.

I used to work in a small engine shop for about a year, so I am familiar with adjusting carbs. Most of what I worked on were newer models with limiter caps and fancy screwdrivers. Mostly Echo saws, and I would adjust them exactly how the service manual called for, with a tachometer and everything.

I never did get too great at adjusting the older ones just by ear, but I'm sure I could get mine better than it currently is if I tried.

The adjuster holes would be fixed and sealed up if you weren't expected to work on them. Some early 80's carbs were this way on vehicles. Dealers have tools that let them bypass the limiters and then put them back.
We use to have to pull those duel and quadrajets at the dealership, cut a small notch under the carb near the mix plugs, then tap them out. Reinstalled carb and start setting them up. Never did put those plugs back in, pita to get out the first time.

Steve Sidwell

In most states this is not as big an issue. In California however, it may be. By law anyway. Many saws cannot be sold in California now for smog reasons. California has another level of small engine smog requirements under CARB. I take my ported saws to California and cut. I work independently there though. No one has busted me for doing that. I keep the spark screens in place in the mufflers though for fire regulations. I also do all my own work and repairs on my saws. I never take them to dealers for servicing. No need, and that would be prohibitive cost wise.

Note that EPA and CARB laws state:
.... ....
Older equipment that was produced before emission regulations took effect is not required to be retrofitted with emissions equipment when brought in for servicing.

Tampering with an Emission-Certified Engine
Tampering with an emission-certified engine may reduce the life span and performance of the engine. Tampering, which is against the law and subject to a civil penalty/fine, includes the following:
  • Knowingly disabling an emission control component of a certified saw,
  • Adjusting the fuel or exhaust system,
  • Changing the engine’s performance so it no longer meets the engine specifications,
  • Improperly venting crankcase emissions,
  • Installing a replacement part of a different configuration, or
  • Adding a part that was not originally certified with the engine.
Some manufacturers have equipped engines with special caps or plugs that limit or prevent adjusting the fuel mixture or engine timing. Removal of these special plugs and adjustments beyond the manufacturers’ specified limits is considered tampering.

In servicing an engine that has been tampered with, the EPA encourages repair technicians to restore the engine to the original certified configuration. This is required only if the repair is specific to the tampered with component/system.

The above is from:

https://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/html/02511204/02511204.htm

It is far easier to adjust an old saw by ear than to set a new saw with whatever means available.

Old saws/carbs respond appropriately to adjustments. New saws/carbs not so much. At least that’s how it seems to me. :surprised3:

I've been told most newer saws have semi fixed jets. The needles only do about 20% what they use to.
Another reason I luv M-Tronic. No agonizing if they're set too fat, or worse, too lean.

We use to have to pull those duel and quadrajets at the dealership, cut a small notch under the carb near the mix plugs, then tap them out. Reinstalled carb and start setting them up. Never did put those plugs back in, pita to get out the first time.

Steve Sidwell
Yup I remember those Quadrajets.

In most states this is not as big an issue. In California however, it may be. By law anyway. Many saws cannot be sold in California now for smog reasons. California has another level of small engine smog requirements under CARB. I take my ported saws to California and cut. I work independently there though. No one has busted me for doing that. I keep the spark screens in place in the mufflers though for fire regulations. I also do all my own work and repairs on my saws. I never take them to dealers for servicing. No need, and that would be prohibitive cost wise.

Note that EPA and CARB laws state:
.... ....
Older equipment that was produced before emission regulations took effect is not required to be retrofitted with emissions equipment when brought in for servicing.

Tampering with an Emission-Certified Engine
Tampering with an emission-certified engine may reduce the life span and performance of the engine. Tampering, which is against the law and subject to a civil penalty/fine, includes the following:
  • Knowingly disabling an emission control component of a certified saw,
  • Adjusting the fuel or exhaust system,
  • Changing the engine’s performance so it no longer meets the engine specifications,
  • Improperly venting crankcase emissions,
  • Installing a replacement part of a different configuration, or
  • Adding a part that was not originally certified with the engine.
Some manufacturers have equipped engines with special caps or plugs that limit or prevent adjusting the fuel mixture or engine timing. Removal of these special plugs and adjustments beyond the manufacturers’ specified limits is considered tampering.

In servicing an engine that has been tampered with, the EPA encourages repair technicians to restore the engine to the original certified configuration. This is required only if the repair is specific to the tampered with component/system.

The above is from:

https://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/html/02511204/02511204.htm
Glad I don't live in Cadiforna

Steve Sidwell

Back