Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had to make a small fire every day over the weekend , 55 and rain so a fire of kindling and 1 stick of spruce took the chill and dampness away :) No saws were run this weekend but I did come across an awesome bacon video !

I think you are right! quite interesting. bit off the wall, imo... but quite engaging. helps to be a gearhead! lol what sold me on it all was the flow test! I think bacon grease is just what I need for loose bearing on crank/rod!! :yes: after all, in the '30s they tightened up poured babbit Ford bearing with bacon rinds! ... sure did! I like my morning breakfast spuds a bit on the well done side. crispy n dark, ok. so think I could use the old 10-30w in fry pan to speed things up a bit. prob do eggs well, too.

anybody want to come over for some breakfast?

:drinkingcoffee:

I stopped in at my next house building site to meet with the owners again today. He has been cutting some small softwood trees down using his new from Home Depot Husky. He has about 1 1/2 acres he wants cleared for the house site. He cut maybe 6 or 7 trees with the bigger being about 14" diameter and 30' tall. He warned me that he wasn't very good with a saw and he was right. I wanted to take pictures but that would have been rude. Lets just say he was lucky it was a small tree. He got it down but the stump was a mess. I gave him some pointers and told him to be careful ( he was going to do it anyway so I might as well advise him some). I then showed him the big poplar I cut several weeks ago and explained the difference between his and mine. He then told me the husky was flooded and wouldn't start. He kept pulling and pulling but fuel was just running out of it. I took the cover off and the hose to the carb was off. Put it back on and it fired after 6 pulls. I have a 261 with me and was going to cut a couple of trees down to show him but we got back to house business and I ran out f time. We were walking the lot (20 acres) and this Australian creature tried to block my path. I didn't even see him but the owners wife heard him rattling away. Was about 30" long. I'm not quite so keen to cut trees up there anymore. I like the 2nd one better that I found at the other site, he was more my size. That's a roof shingle that he was sleeping on, it was pretty cold that day. $250,000 fine for killing one. I think that might be money well spent. :)View attachment 744667 View attachment 744668

WOW! rattler!

up at my place snake vigilance is a always full-time job! while mowing week back or so, late afternoon, I came across this lil fellow. 22/24" or so. he was curled up next to a RR tie used as landscape timber. he was relocated. no fines for such activity! very costly, though... on many fronts if one misses and gets struck. I have seen them in all hours but the wee ones. as I don't go out or am asleep then. I have a 9 - midnite ritual... Snake Safari. copperheads against mr Brutus! mr Brutus always wins! saw a water moccasin other day. he was quickly back into the tank... one eve while on snake safari... got 5! copperheads. have the pix. glad u were not surprised by it, or anyone hurt.

a guy like this can ruin one's day very fast...
zch.jpg

then bit before as I was about to go on snake safari... I always stop at porch top step... scan area with my very bright hand light... and found this lil guy just to L of where I was about to step. relocated him! I have seen them slither across the front of the steps before. only takes one time and one does not forget the danger. snake safari is very serious business out there along the county line...

bit younger, 18" +/-...
PB050001.JPG

this one prob young male, topside prob female...

then bit before as I was about to go on snake safari... I always stop at porch top step... scan area with my very bright hand light... and found this lil guy just to L of where I was about to step. relocated him! I have seen them slither across the front of the steps before. only takes one time and one does not forget the danger. snake safari is very serious business out there along the county line...

bit younger, 18" +/-...
View attachment 744734

this one prob young male, topside prob female...

Damn Im happy to dont have thoses in my area ! It's make me hate mosquitos and black fly a bit less.
We dont have real killer in our woods here in Quebec Canada, black bears are not a big deal. The real killer is the winter cold. Dont want to get stuck 20 miles into the wood without equipment at -30C.

I think you are right! quite interesting. bit off the wall, imo... but quite engaging. helps to be a gearhead! lol what sold me on it all was the flow test! I think bacon grease is just what I need for loose bearing on crank/rod!! :yes: after all, in the '30s they tightened up poured babbit Ford bearing with bacon rinds! ... sure did! I like my morning breakfast spuds a bit on the well done side. crispy n dark, ok. so think I could use the old 10-30w in fry pan to speed things up a bit. prob do eggs well, too.

anybody want to come over for some breakfast?

:drinkingcoffee:
There was a video of a woman somewhere cooking with sae30 motor oil a week or so ago...mmmmmm, tastes like chicken.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

We are supposed to have both Copper Heads and Timber Rattlers around here, but I have never seen one in the wild. When my Brother had his house in Garrison, he saw them, but not me.

I have had people warn me there was one ahead on the hiking trail several times, but they are always gone when I get there.

I think I have only seen Garter Snakes, Ring Neck Snakes, Water Snakes, Corn Snakes, Black Racers and Black Rat Snakes. Also, once when I was in Scouts we was a Green Snake.

The Racer's and Rat Snakes can get 6+ feet. The Racer's are often not afraid of you, and almost seem friendly. Not so with the Rat Snakes and Water Snakes, very bad dispositions!

We are supposed to have both Copper Heads and Timber Rattlers around here, but I have never seen one in the wild. When my Brother had his house in Garrison, he saw them, but not me.

I have had people warn me there was one ahead on the hiking trail several times, but they are always gone when I get there.

I think I have only seen Garter Snakes, Ring Neck Snakes, Water Snakes, Corn Snakes, Black Racers and Black Rat Snakes. Also, once when I was in Scouts we was a Green Snake.

The Racer's and Rat Snakes can get 6+ feet. The Racer's are often not afraid of you, and almost seem friendly. Not so with the Rat Snakes and Water Snakes, very bad dispositions!
Mike, the camp where we cut at has more garter snakes than anywhere I’ve ever seen. They all pile out in the sun on the corner of the tool shed.

Took the 394 out for a bit of a run today, we spotted a nice bit of hardwood in the pushed up windrows so thought we get out today and have a decent look at it, I think it might be Red Gum or possibly Red Box, not sure, either way hard to split and weights a fair bit too (no way you'd pick those rounds up without popping a vessil in ya freckle:D

What ever she is she puts out awesome heat!

We also spotted 3 more trees like in other heaps near by so will get into those over the next few days if the weather holds up.

ly5VVVtl.jpg

Ce5Q0zAl.jpg

We also got out the day before and cut 2 loads and not sure if I posted these pics up here before but these were from earlier in the week if memory serves me correctly

5rEvNRRl.jpg

BTZvRVMl.jpg

dTNoLafl.jpg

A0LYf0Ul.jpg

VPkoI7Cl.jpg

028z7Qgl.jpg

A guy I work with got bit by a 4' timber rattler. We have a couple of spots here were there are quite a few of them. He is a snake lover and would relocate them when the town gets a call. They are protected here. Anyway it almost killed him and after a couple weeks in the hospital his arm is still in bad shape. I didn't see it but I was told his hole arm turned black and he lost a bunch of movement in his hand.

Wishing everyone a safe and enjoyable Independence Day. May we never forget the importance of what was sacrificed to give us freedom.

I’ve been researching my family history and so far, I’ve discovered 14 Patriots in my family tree. Those are just the linear relatives (grandfathers), certainly there are dozens more if you count collateral relatives (uncles). Some people don’t care about that stuff but I find it very interesting. I did find two sets of fathers and sons who served together. Amazingly none of the 14 were KIA although one drowned in Chesapeake bay during wartime so I’m not sure what he had been doing.

Took the 394 out for a bit of a run today, we spotted a nice bit of hardwood in the pushed up windrows so thought we get out today and have a decent look at it, I think it might be Red Gum or possibly Red Box, not sure, either way hard to split and weights a fair bit too (no way you'd pick those rounds up without popping a vessil in ya freckle:D

What ever she is she puts out awesome heat!

We also spotted 3 more trees like in other heaps near by so will get into those over the next few days if the weather holds up.

ly5VVVtl.jpg

Ce5Q0zAl.jpg

We also got out the day before and cut 2 loads and not sure if I posted these pics up here before but these were from earlier in the week if memory serves me correctly

5rEvNRRl.jpg

BTZvRVMl.jpg

dTNoLafl.jpg

A0LYf0Ul.jpg

VPkoI7Cl.jpg

028z7Qgl.jpg
Great photos!!!

It was supposed to rain all night and didn’t start till a few minutes ago. But it’s supposed to stop shortly and not start up again till 1 PM. Hoping this passes quickly so I can resume my trim project. Worst case I can put saws on the deck under the awning but that will make a lot of mess to clean up.

As my grandpa used to say “it’s raining pitchforks and hammer handles!”

5CB175E5-360D-4C71-A917-5453566F424B.jpeg

Latest posts

Back