Should I remove this tree - Ficus

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piperpilot12w

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on whether to remove this tree due to the type of tree (Ficus) and it being contained in a small area and causing potential problems. The distance between the tree and the walls around it are approximately 4 feet. It's been in place for 25 years. My understanding is that these trees have extensive root systems and can be damaging to surrounding structures. In the last photo, the distance between the retaining wall, and the wall with the fencing on top, has grown larger over the years. The root at the base of this gap was from the tree and cut about 6 years ago. I'm concerned the wall is being pushed away.

Any thoughts as to if this type of tree should never have been placed here and creating problems.
Located in Southern California Tree  01.jpg Tree  02.jpg Tree  03.jpg Tree  04.jpg

Looking for some advice on whether to remove this tree due to the type of tree (Ficus) and it being contained in a small area and causing potential problems. The distance between the tree and the walls around it are approximately 4 feet. It's been in place for 25 years. My understanding is that these trees have extensive root systems and can be damaging to surrounding structures. In the last photo, the distance between the retaining wall, and the wall with the fencing on top, has grown larger over the years. The root at the base of this gap was from the tree and cut about 6 years ago. I'm concerned the wall is being pushed away.

Any thoughts as to if this type of tree should never have been placed here and creating problems.
Located in Southern California View attachment 733972 View attachment 733973 View attachment 733974 View attachment 733975
i woulkd cut it down and use it for firewood

Located in Southern California View attachment 733972 View attachment 733973 View attachment 733974 View attachment 733975
i woulkd cut it down and use it for firewood

Back