Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't find it but I found someone said the 3700 is about 11,500 so it should be about that since the crank is the same.

What's the biggest bar I can reasonbly pull with the 3700? A 24"? And if so a semi skip?

It pulls the 20" well but don't think it can manage a full comp 24" for occasional big stuff.

Hi there again. So I recently inherited a used Poulan Pro PP4218 Chainsaw. It had been sitting outside for some time judging by the discoloration of the plastics. As per a member here, I took off the muffler to inspect the P&C. The both were literally shiny new with not even the slightest marks on them. The first thing I noticed was that the fuel line in the tank had fallen off of the barb on the inside of the fuel tank. With the lines hard and rotted, I decided to just replace them all anyways. So as I took the carburetor and associated hardware off, I had noticed the 3 lines were not hooked up completely anywhere, so it made hooking them up a guessing game. This is where I would like to aske for your help here please in helping me make sure they are hooked up correctly. I had looked online at how to hook them up, but was not 100% clear. So this is how I hooked them up by description, and the crude picture attached. Just to note, the Zama carburetor on teh chainsaw has only two (2) tubes for attaching lines to.

I ran a one piece line from the fuel filter through the hole in the top of the fuel tank on the right side of the carburetor (as looking from the rear), and attached this line to teh short nipple on the primer bulb. From the long nipple on the primer bulb, I attached it to the carburetor on teh left side as seen from the rear of the saw. And finally, where it was a bit unclear from reading online, I attached a smaller diameter line from the right side of the carburetor and left it open in the space under the carburetor as I cannot see anywhere to hook it to. I hope this is clear enough to understand along with my crude picture. I will try to get a picture shortly, but the saw is not here right now. Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide.
66505972_850996215256331_7028520027770847232_n.jpg

Fuel line with filter to right carb fitting, left fitting on carb to primer bulb, primer bulb to left hole in fuel tank. Line coming from carb goes to the suction side of primer. Other side of primer will blow fuel back into the tank, left tank fuel line.

Steve Sidwell

Thank you. I will look again tomorrow after work, but I did not see a second hole on the fuel tank. Stay tuned as I probably had missed it! That is where it was confusing as I had read online about a second hole in the tank, but did not see it, hence why I was asking for clarification.

If I may ask. I know where the hole on the tank is to the right side of the carburetor where the fuel line with filter comes up through (as viewed from the rear of the saw). In relation to this hole can you please give me an approximate location of the other hole in which the primer blows fuel back into the tank. Thank you again. I will do a test when apart, but am I correct in thinking that the fuel return line of the primer bulb is the longer tube. Thank you again for your help.

Thank you very much. It is greatly appreciated. I will also update this if I do manage to find it tomorrow afternoon. But thanks to you, I at least have a place to start looking at now.

Edit:
I feel stupid right now. A quick walk next door to take a look as this was eating me inside. I quickly saw/found the secon hole in question. So thank you all again for your help and time. I think I will get it running tomorrow now!

Thanks all. As above, it bothered me to no end so I ran next door and found it.... Do not honestly know how I missed it, especially after my dad and I looked for it after I told him what I had been reading. This is also making me think that a line popped off earlier causing it to not run and get abandoned till my dad rescued it for me.

Funny thing is, dad could wear one out and never did I once replace the fuel line, primer, fuel filter or even go into the carb. They would have cut a lot of wood that's for sure. I looked at his scrap pile once and thought of maybe building one saw out of those, but no two were a like. We kept stuff like flywheels, coils switches but that was it.
He runs echos now because that's what my brother got him, he loves it cause it's lighter than the Poulan and starts on second pull. I like it cause I ain't got to mess with it. He had a Stihl, pos, I hated that saw. Always something going out or messing up, glad some ole poor sap stole it. I figured they would have brought it back after they got tired of spending cash on that money pit.
Steve Sidwell

Well, with a big thanks to those here who had helped me, my Poulan Pro PP4218 is back together properly now and running. And I must admit that it fired up and ran on the second pull after who knows how many years. It does stay at a high idle in which the chain keeps spinning for a bit before idling down followed by itself shutting off. But I will be running some new mixed fuel with some Sea Foam in it to see if it clears up before tearing it back apart and rebuilding the carburetor. The only other question I have remaining is this. Part # 34 (on the attached picture). 530071894 Seal--Adaptor is brittle and cracking. Would this have anything to do with it running like that? It seals well, and do not see any problems, but I am new and do not know really what this part is or its function. Thank you kindly again for your help. My dad right away said to adjust the high speed needle, but he does not understand that it requires a special tool (that I have), but most average people do not so he thinks right away someone adjusted it. 4218 ipl-2_page-0001.jpg

Back