Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did some brushing and pulled out 1 limb about 18" all the way. Made 1 wheelbarrow load "of dry enough" dumped in the wood shed. Then 2 buckets to start a wet pile out back.
nbt bank locations

cuttin' a small sapling for some yard work... my CS-271T popped its chain! locked up, jammed into clutch area and bit case... stuck 2 links... hard! bit of a chore to loosed back up, but now smooth. left me with this. guess some more chain work still to do, then sharpen...

View attachment 745347 View attachment 745348
I borked a chain too today. Cutting a hollow twisted grain 10" branch with tension on it. Made to the last little bit where the tension released at wide open throttle. Tossed the chain into the stupid metal hook chain catcher. Wiped out 3 drivers. Was the little 445 husky.

The 011avt came out along with the Jred 2065 and took care of business.

Even with decent equipment tractor, splitter. I'm struggling on the hill. Tractor spins pulling, spins with a load on the bucket. Grounds soft there on a good day. The rains made it maddeningly difficult. Beginning to consider block n tackle have to see if I have enough rope.

Overall a good day aside from my eyes burning from the constant dripping sweat.

Thought some of you might enjoy this.

In high school a buddy had a 4x4 heavy 1/2t painted like that. I had a beater 1/2 2wd ford. I challenged him to a pull after he bragged up his chevy. So out to a field we went back to back. Listening to him blow about how he was gonna pull that Ford in half....

My beater had no rear brakes and as I got in I pushed the brake peddle switch out so the light would not come on...

Needless to say much dirt was thrown and he finally called a draw...

After he had a beverage and some humble pie I spilled the beans.

View attachment 745379 Fiskered up the first load for the Ford today. Not sure why I took the picture from the tailgate. Probly because I was swimming in sweat and wanted to get the truck unloaded and hit the pool.View attachment 745380 One for you bug ID folks. Not a wasp/bee/hornet/yellowjacket. Not big enough to be a cicada killer. Never seen one till I started on this last oak. Just kinda hovered around and watched me work.

It's been about 20 years since I saw one but it looks a bit like a Locust Borer. Probably not as it shouldn't be on an oak.

How about the brakes?

Philbert
I second this statement. Lots of vehicles can pull way more then there rated for. I towed cars with a 94 Cherokee for awhile. Never had a problem getting things going. Put a 1/2 ton truck behind a Cherokee and it will pull it no problem stopping can be a life changing experience :crazy2:.

View attachment 745448 locust borer View attachment 745449 syrphid fly. I think this is what's in my picture. First one iv seen.
I know we have some big ones up here. Since i was kid n started huntin mushrooms...the old timers called them (mountain hornets).
To me .....the big ones are either japanese giant hornets or cicada killers....either way they do seem to like to fly around fresh cut or split wood. I know when they catch ya off guard....they make ur ahole pucker....:surprised3:
The picture you posted n what ya have there do look alike.....

Pic from another group I'm in. Our brothers in Ireland getting it done. It would suck not running a saw!
563ee7a14a4c417dbf393d7dc45cd97d.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Probably work pretty well. I moved my 24' camper with my tiny bx1870 today. It does a wheelie fairly easy going forward!
d05d524089bc300fd7f15afa002d734e.jpg

either a bigger tractor or smaller camper Jeff.:laugh: Is that sandstone on your house?

View attachment 745252 View attachment 745253 Few pics from today.View attachment 745254 Metal somewhere. Didn't find it with the saw so maybe while I'm splitting.View attachment 745255 And the Ford.
Beautiful truck! Sorry to hear about the trans, hopefully previous owner helps you out.
Hot swampy day in the welding shop today. Haven't done any wood as other priorities have demanded attention. Wandered around the woodpile tonight at sunset. Been busy gathering our gear together for the annual fishing trip with my 3 boys. 3 days chasing walleye and bass on the French river here in Ontario. After that maybe I'll get stacking and moving.
fd9f5de11be5362cc2fe314ac03dd0e7.jpg
fda125bc224f8768e65896d1ac8e993f.jpg

Wow great pics! Beautiful sunset.

@Logger nate Here’s the 490 conversion vid. Had a hard time keeping any saw tuned today, 91 and humidity was 94!!!!! Cut for 1 hour and quit, brought home a trailer load, that’s it. All that’s left for next week is the trunk and the first run of the 9010.

Thank you! Looks like that chain works good. Hope you guys get a break from the heat and humidity soon. Look forward to seeing the 9010 run.

Latest posts

Back