Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried the new winch out yesterday D8A69BE7-20D1-4543-855D-CE69AFA7605F.jpegit’s a handy little tool but I’m definitely going to need something bigger. Also going to need bigger batteries, one battery wouldn’t even last a full 30’ pull, and first battery only reached about 1/2 charge by the time second battery died. So went looking for something I didn’t have to winch. Found a nice red fir blow down few miles further up the roadD14A975B-6BCD-470F-8D14-4073F3DCF21D.jpegMost of it was on the up hill side of the road:). Sure nice to have ported saws here, still have good power at this elevation (7000’) BC360DA9-722D-4E33-A7F7-37560FD686D2.jpegStarting to get warm here now (80*) thankful the humidity is low. Was loaded up by about noon so wasn’t too awful hot yet2E1C3CD6-12B2-41DB-A9A0-69DC50F66085.jpegFound a nice shady spot to take a nap afterwards and stay away from all the weekend traffic, noise, and people as long as possible.

Tried the new winch out yesterday View attachment 745540it’s a handy little tool but I’m definitely going to need something bigger. Also going to need bigger batteries, one battery wouldn’t even last a full 30’ pull, and first battery only reached about 1/2 charge by the time second battery died. So went looking for something I didn’t have to winch. Found a nice red fir blow down few miles further up the roadView attachment 745541Most of it was on the up hill side of the road:). Sure nice to have ported saws here, still have good power at this elevation (7000’) View attachment 745542Starting to get warm here now (80*) thankful the humidity is low. Was loaded up by about noon so wasn’t too awful hot yetView attachment 745543Found a nice shady spot to take a nap afterwards and stay away from all the weekend traffic, noise, and people as long as possible.
That looks like mountain lion habitat.

either a bigger tractor or smaller camper Jeff.[emoji23] Is that sandstone on your house?
They call it " designer stone". Lol, I call it different shaped bricks. It's made locally.
https://shouldice.ca/
e975c863f4480a881b8017761e49e00b.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

it’s a handy little tool but I’m definitely going to need something bigger. Also going to need bigger batteries, one battery wouldn’t even last a full 30’ pull, and first battery only reached about 1/2 charge by the time second battery died.
Might be worth experimenting with a block/pulley at the log. It does mean the drill is winding twice as much line, but batteries might be happier enough with the lower amp draw to last longer. But that's just a hunch. Could be you only move the log half as far before the batteries die.

Might be worth experimenting with a block/pulley at the log. It does mean the drill is winding twice as much line, but batteries might be happier enough with the lower amp draw to last longer. But that's just a hunch. Could be you only move the log half as far before the batteries die.
Thank you for the idea.
Yeah might be worth a try, might try running drill in 1st instead of 2nd, did I mention I’m impatient, lol. This time of year I don’t like being out past mid day, too hot and horse flys are out. Thinking this fall I’ll have better conditions to work with it, cooler and if there’s snow logs should pull much easier, that’s part of problem they drag hard on dry ground and get hung up easy. Trees slide pretty good on snow:D you can see trees shaking at bottom of hill when tree hits them
And the snow flying..

The prodigal axe returns. Over a year ago my son borrowed the small axe for a camping trip with friends. It never came back. Until last week. It had apparently spent the year outdoors playing with the wild axes before returning to captivity. It was my dad's. We called it a hand axe because despite its 15" handle, it has a full 2 1/2 lb head and is quite handy for camping due to its compact size. A two handed swing can still be used. Anyway, I spent a few minutes cleaning it up and giving the handle a quick sand and rub with linseed oil. Glad to have dads axe back, maybe I'll let the same boy have it again one day.
46803c8b0a33ea5e92563cb64367716b.jpg
bed0544440eb981c34b8bc6c19fbe8ea.jpg

Beautiful truck! Sorry to hear about the trans, hopefully previous owner helps you out.

Wow great pics! Beautiful sunset.

Thank you! Looks like that chain works good. Hope you guys get a break from the heat and humidity soon. Look forward to seeing the 9010 run.
Help with the trans not looking. Truck goes to a family friends shop tomorrow for diagnostic work. Trans cooler was packed full of mud figure over heating is what hurt it. Cleaned all the mud out and the temps stay down about 30* lower now but something is wrong with the clutches or torque converter causing the slipping.

The prodigal axe returns. Over a year ago my son borrowed the small axe for a camping trip with friends. It never came back. Until last week. It had apparently spent the year outdoors playing with the wild axes before returning to captivity. It was my dad's. We called it a hand axe because despite its 15" handle, it has a full 2 1/2 lb head and is quite handy for camping due to its compact size. A two handed swing can still be used. Anyway, I spent a few minutes cleaning it up and giving the handle a quick sand and rub with linseed oil. Glad to have dads axe back, maybe I'll let the same boy have it again one day.
46803c8b0a33ea5e92563cb64367716b.jpg
bed0544440eb981c34b8bc6c19fbe8ea.jpg

Wow, that’s pretty cool, glad it came back.

Good vid @Logger nate. Did that tree make it clear to the bottom of the hill and was that an access road at the bottom?
Thank you. It did, it stopped in those small green trees at the bottom, access road is just to the right.

Help with the trans not looking. Truck goes to a family friends shop tomorrow for diagnostic work. Trans cooler was packed full of mud figure over heating is what hurt it. Cleaned all the mud out and the temps stay down about 30* lower now but something is wrong with the clutches or torque converter causing the slipping.
Hope it’s an easy fix, good luck. Rest of the truck sure looks nice.

Wow, that’s pretty cool, glad it came back.

Thank you. It did, it stopped in those small green trees at the bottom, access road is just to the right.

Hope it’s an easy fix, good luck. Rest of the truck sure looks nice.
Thank you. It's in good shape otherwise. Guy had one of the hand held tuners and from what I've been reading there hard on the transmissions. I'll be setting it back to stock for sure.

There's a funnel web spider in there. I think I'll just put it straight in the heater.

View attachment 745628
Got bit a few days ago by unseen spider. Woke 1am sat with uncontrollable shakes, by 5am felt like been run over by a bus. Didn't connect it to the bite BC no swelling or redness...until Sunday arvo. If not better in another day it's off to doc again. Never any probs like skin infections and now twice in three months.

@Dahmer are you near cochranton PA? It's out above Pittsburgh theres a shop there called Warren diesel shop that has a good reputation for building upgraded 4r100s. Going to talk to them about a trans. If I go with them figure I'll just drive out and pick it up and maybe stop by if your close.

Latest posts

Back