MS 261 Metal Handle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie294life

Brush Popper and Amateur Tree Butcher
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I just purchased a MS 261C and got to noticing that it has a plastic handle. Does anyone know of a metal handle that exists for this thing? It seems kind of strange that stihl would put all this work into redesigning a saw and build it out to 11 just to put a plastic handle on it. Maybe I’m over reacting? Maybe it’s there for safety so you don’t go to ground when cutting power lines? I know they make a heated handle that’s metal don’t really care about all that extra crap, just a metal handle. Any ideas?

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-ms260-metal-aftermarket-wrap-handlebar.187893/

Btw, I looked all over the left coast supply page and could not find the item he mentions.

"Howdy,
We have some just now coming out of production. It'll be about 8 weeks before we land our first batch in the warehouse. I Just received one sample last week, and if you want to try it out I'll send it to you at no charge. As far as I can tell, it looks just like the heated one you mentioned without the wiring. They will be selling for about $30.00 when we get them. Just let me know what you think after you try it. If you're interested, send me a PM with a ship to address."

@Grande Dog

My experience is that the plastic handle last just as long as a metal handle, imho

They just don’t feel as good in the hand

Ya I agree. But wearing gloves and I can't tell the difference :p. To me, it's more just the thought of plastic handle on pro saw that is annoying.

Guessing the plastic composite will hold up well but likely done to shave a bit of weight as that was clearly one of Stihl's goals with this saw, as it now beats out Husky for power to weight in 50cc class.

Perhaps they should have sold it with more sizzle such as NEW 261 c-m HANDLE MADE OF ADVANCED CARBON FIBRE POLYMER MATERIAL FOUND IN SPACE STATION - ;)

They just don’t feel as good in the hand

True,i just replaced the plastic handle of my Echo 490 with the metal from the 501cs.It feels like a different saw,much.Truth is that there is nothing wrong with plastic frond handles but at the price point of the ms 261,they could put an aluminum.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-ms260-metal-aftermarket-wrap-handlebar.187893/

Btw, I looked all over the left coast supply page and could not find the item he mentions.

"Howdy,
We have some just now coming out of production. It'll be about 8 weeks before we land our first batch in the warehouse. I Just received one sample last week, and if you want to try it out I'll send it to you at no charge. As far as I can tell, it looks just like the heated one you mentioned without the wiring. They will be selling for about $30.00 when we get them. Just let me know what you think after you try it. If you're interested, send me a PM with a ship to address."

@Grande Dog
I would be interested do you have a photo of it?

The feel of my plastic ms362 is ok. The feel of my plastic ps420 is ok. The feel of my cs590 had to be improved with friction tape. None of them feel as good as any of my aluminum handled saws. Imo. I usually wear leather gloves, but not always. Shhhhh.

Latest posts

Back