How many run bigger cc saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to have a big saw, I have a little bit of cad lol.
The trouble is you never need one in my area unless your doing residential tree removal, that's the only place there's big trees left. A 60cc saw with a 20 inch bar is considered big to most guys in my area.

Last year I sold a bunch of long chains and several 36" refurbished bars to a tree removal company. They used them all, but their own employees stole several of the chains. Granted, they may have needed the big saw for at most half a dozen big trees, but when you need one, you have to have one. They actually shelled out over $1400 clams for a Stihl MS661C.

The cottonwood loggers around here are the guys that put the hours on the big saws:
Andy's Big Cottonwood.jpg

Not me, too much like work.
Local dealer has some 372s, tempting but says he wants 900 bucks for one.

My go to firewood saw is 80cc doesn’t seem that big to most in here but it covers my needs

50cc is my main and also my biggest saw. Would love to own 60-70 cc chainsaw for curiosity.

The Stihl 064 that I bought a year or so ago was run by a guy who never used more than a 20" bar on it. I have to wonder why on earth he bought a saw that big for pulling a 20" bar. Regardless, the saw runs today like the day he bought it. Compression and power is enormous, probably because the engine never felt much load.

Most of my work is done with 100 cc plus saws and some 70 cc saws for limbing. After limbing I just have some what large logs to go through. It is not hard to go through 15 cords in a day probably 20 if I tried. I just start at one end of an area and just cut after cut. A smaller saw just takes more time. Thanks

That saw is lurking in the grass like a panther ready to attack that wood. Lol

I use a MS461 for about everything except when I climb I use a 201tcm.

20190408_173800.jpg I jump on the chance to use my ported 288xp.
There's an 064 in the classifieds that is really on my mind lol.

Attachments

• 20190407_184755.jpg
    20190407_184755.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 15
Back