Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't that a deadly spider?

Yeah, but you don't let little things like that stop you.

Key points however, spiders don't do much when they're out of the sun and temps are below 14°C. Today was overcast and top of 9°C. He wasn't inside the house long enough to warm up and get busy, and when he did warm up it was a few hundred degrees to many.

End of day 4 and think have turned the corner. It's not visibly getting better, but isn't getting worse, aching gone, chills gone, lymphatic system while still working hard isn't overloaded.
leg2.jpg

One oddball symptom this time around is the complete lack of appetite. Have averaged about half a regular meal each of the last four days. But sleeping and generally doing bugger all doesn't burn many calories anyway so unfortunately not much weight loss.

Mate is a beekeeper and recently started producing Manuka honey that tested as having a UMF rating over 20, which is getting into medical grade territory, so I've been using that the last two days and seems to be doing the job while my body mops up the rest of the damage. Time will tell though. But if it saves me a trip to the doc and another round of antibiotics, everybody wins.

Couple of weeks ago pal Joe calls and says he's arranged for the processor operator to do up a bit of firewood for him out where they are hauling from and he needs a hand to load his pickup and bring the wood home.

"Sure," says I. "See you soon."

Here is what we found when we arrived at the show.

DSCN5797.JPG

We loaded two loads of rounds and hauled them to Joe's place. Note the weather and it was dryer than a popcorn fart too.

The next day we took mauls, axes and splitting wedges to quarter the rounds in order to load them more easily. It was still hot as could be.

We took two loads again.

The processor makes cutting a pile like this easy as pie, but we were astonished at the logs he cut to make firewood, given there was lots of scruffier wood available at a quick glance. Apparently the operator likes Joe, who drives logging truck, so he picked good wood for him.

Here's the processor.

DSCN5798.JPG

The next day we added two bodies to the crew and finished off the pile of rounds, splitting them all by hand before loading them up.

Here's what we ended up with in Joe's yard.

RSCN5805.JPG
After splitting it further and stacking it in the shed we deduced we had a bit over three cords.

And not a single chainsaw involved.

You guys must be Luddites. :laugh:

(Just a joke on a chainsaw forum.) :D

Take care.

I have the herd just where I want it so I’m not looking to sell. Not really looking to buy but if the right deal comes along...........
The herd here has been multiplying even though I sold a few, they just keep coming, I've certainly got spares lol.

Couple of weeks ago pal Joe calls and says he's arranged for the processor operator to do up a bit of firewood for him out where they are hauling from and he needs a hand to load his pickup and bring the wood home. . . . Here is what we found when we arrived at the show.

Mods! This in no way qualifies as 'Scrounging'!

Philbert

Couple of weeks ago pal Joe calls and says he's arranged for the processor operator to do up a bit of firewood for him out where they are hauling from and he needs a hand to load his pickup and bring the wood home.

"Sure," says I. "See you soon."

Here is what we found when we arrived at the show.

View attachment 745942

We loaded two loads of rounds and hauled them to Joe's place. Note the weather and it was dryer than a popcorn fart too.

The next day we took mauls, axes and splitting wedges to quarter the rounds in order to load them more easily. It was still hot as could be.

We took two loads again.

The processor makes cutting a pile like this easy as pie, but we were astonished at the logs he cut to make firewood, given there was lots of scruffier wood available at a quick glance. Apparently the operator likes Joe, who drives logging truck, so he picked good wood for him.

Here's the processor.

View attachment 745944

The next day we added two bodies to the crew and finished off the pile of rounds, splitting them all by hand before loading them up.

Here's what we ended up with in Joe's yard.

View attachment 745946
After splitting it further and stacking it in the shed we deduced we had a bit over three cords.

And not a single chainsaw involved.

You guys must be Luddites. :laugh:

(Just a joke on a chainsaw forum.) :D

Take care.

Mods! This in no way qualifies as 'Scrounging'!

Philbert

I dunno Philbert , I think that qualifies as a "SCORE !" in my books , now if it had been split and delivered at no charge ...

Hey Kiwi , here's a vid showing a few different ways to get wood on the ground .

That husky looks like it handles nice, or is that a Milwaukee Dan lol.
Ive seen that tool(first one) used in some other videos, one was a 572 video, maybe the husky suppliers have them in stock.

Hey Kiwi !
You might want to get a pint from this guy across the drink from you , I read that he's done wonders !!!
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappen...den-arm-who-saved-millions-of-lives-1.4667135

Get well real soon .
Good on that bloke. He's made a difference for sure.

Hey Kiwi , here's a vid showing a few different ways to get wood on the ground .

I know it gets cold over there but that bar shrinkage is alarming. They must be the sensitive new age version of saws.

I asked him about that first tree pusher in the vid , he made it himself so I've asked him if he still uses it or retired it for the second one in the vid which is store bought .
I might have to make a version like his Lol
I did think of sending him my condolences on his choice of saws ;) But I figured that wood be in poor diplomatic taste :p

I asked him about that first tree pusher in the vid , he made it himself so I've asked him if he still uses it or retired it for the second one in the vid which is store bought .
I might have to make a version like his Lol
I did think of sending him my condolences on his choice of saws ;) But I figured that wood be in poor diplomatic taste :p
Norwood Sawmills offers a similar tool.

Back