Deep notches while aloft?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Back2Woods

Reaction score
I've noticed some guys online in videos, such as August Hunicke and Billy Ray Smith, among others, using really deep notches when chunking down trees. I assume that the idea is setting the center mass far forward of the hinge so that the piece goes over easily, but at times it looks like they are taking more than 3/4 of the diameter, which seems like a lot of cutting for that effect. Do any of you have any experience using deep notches like this, and do you find any benefit to it?

Yes it works well. But the logs can't be large and heavy. The weight can pinch the saw. Start small then try bigger then bigger logs.

A deep notch involves two long cuts, personally i use one steeply angled cut from top to bottom, some guys call it a salami cut. a small wedge at the top is required, many climbers carry one on a retractable key chain. Once thru the cut the sliding log spits the saw right out with no binding. A steep angle is required 30-45 degrees but again, for me much easier than a cutting a big ol notch.

With the salami cut you need to keep the pieces short or there is a risk of the top of the piece coming back towards the person cutting. I think it’s no more than 3 times the diameter that is supposed to be taken. With undermining the COG longer pieces can be taken safely. Both take experience to know when they can be used.

With the salami cut you need to keep the pieces short or there is a risk of the top of the piece coming back towards the person cutting. I think it’s no more than 3 times the diameter that is supposed to be taken. With undermining the COG longer pieces can be taken safely. Both take experience to know when they can be used.
Excellent post..

Do the large cuts act like a Swanson and drop by the spar rather than posting off it with a narrow cut?

Latest posts

Back