Messing around with a Poulan Pro 405

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mogulmasher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So I acquired a Poulan Pro 405 in a trade deal recently. Previous owner had installed a new piston and cylinder and it had a fresh 3/8" chain on a 20" bar. He hadn't run it much, so took a little tweaking and tuning to get it running well. Must say it cuts pretty nice albeit a bit heavy.

Don't have much into it, so wanna mod it a little. I just pulled muffler, baffle is already gone but it is a stupid design. Who designs a muffler with an outlet with less than a 1/4" clearance facing right at back of clutch cover. Gonna fix that.

I've seen some vids of these running with a little velocity stack set up. How can I build one? Figure I need some sort of 90 degree adaptor then a little air filter. Anyone got some info on what to use?

Any other quick mods for these saws?

They were close on a new muffler design. What if they curved the exhaust port so it blew wood chips away from the clutch cover? My thoughts.

Even in it's present location huskybill it does aid in blowing the chips pretty good. So maybe that was the idea.

Anyone know if this or the muffler with the top outlet was the latest design?

What's the connection to Yamaha with Pioneer?
No direct connection. At the time of the shuffling and merging of Pioneer, Partner and Poulan products, gatherings of engineering personnel from the 3 formerly separate brands took place in Shreveport Louisiana and Nashville Arkansas in August 1987. At one meeting, then chief designer at Pioneer in Ontario (Kevin Murray) explained how the revised P42,45 & 62 owed their improved performance to changes made to the port shape, position and timing, made as a result of close study of contemporary Yamaha reed valve motocross engines.

20190710_190146.jpg So ran the saw some more the other day and again it cuts great. Problem though, if I shut it off it's hard to hot start it though. I tried tweaking the tune a bit, but no change. This saw has a fresh piston/cylinder, new fuel lines, new air filter, and new rubber carb intake. No change in idle when ran on either side.

View attachment 747222 So ran the saw some more the other day and again it cuts great. Problem though, if I shut it off it's hard to hot start it though. I tried tweaking the tune a bit, but no change. This saw has a fresh piston/cylinder, new fuel lines, new air filter, and new rubber carb intake. No change in idle when ran on either side.
Only thing that comes to mind is vapor-lock due to heat soak. Was it a hot day?

20181011_174140.jpg

You can boil the fuel in these pretty easily.... that'll cause a hot start issue. I've done it on my p50 a couple times.

Back