Chain price vs value

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JW51

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Im going to need a couple new loops of 3/8 .063 chain fairly soon....72 DL. I’ve run Stihl RS chain just because I’m in Stihl country and it’s available.

However, as a developing chainsaw nerd....now I’m starting to shop around a bit and consider other options.

Curious....for those of you have spent significant hours with both Oregon and Stihl chain....is the Stihl worth the extra $? I know from looking at some previous threads on chain that there are some pretty intense brand loyalties, mostly looking for those who have run both brands and have some real world experience.

The going rate for a yellow RS loop in my size is roughly $30. I can buy a loop of Oregon LPX or LGX for about $18 on eBay. I can even buy the “new” EXL chain for about $20.

I certainly don’t mind spending a few extra bucks if it will hold a sharp edge longer, or if it has a larger tooth and more useful life. I’d much rather be cutting than sharpening. But the cost difference is fairly significant and hard to ignore.

I have used most makes of chain from early Pioneer brand, Stihl, Husqvarna, Carleton etc and more depended on the type of wood and the conditions, gritty from dust, mud from handling or nice clean green standing trees. However Stihl chain always lasted a bit longer between sharpening than the others for me, I can feel the difference in hardness of the cutters when hand filing them. Chipper and semi last longer than chisel in gritty conditions if one can stand for the slower cutting speed, I cannot stand running even a slightly dull chain.

Find a Stihl dealer with the buy two and get the third at no additional cost pricing would be my suggestion. I generally am using smaller chain so this may not really apply. I do not think the Stihl tooth size is larger in that chain you are using.

I have used Stihl and Oregon chain. I prefer Stihl as it stays sharp longer and lasts longer over time. The Stihl chain is considerably harder metal. Those are the only two brands that I have experience with. I purchase my chains from ebay typically. You can find some pretty good deals. My local dealer sales 20 inch 3/8 for 24 bucks each and you can find them on ebay for about 18 each. I think for that price they are worth 4 or 5 bucks over the Oregon chains.

I have not had any luck with Oregon, just seems soft and doesn't hold an edge very long.
I have had good luck with Carlton chain.
I am currently trying a couple loops of Archer chain on my ms440 clone and so far have been pleased with it.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Didn’t know about the buy one / get one half off thing. That narrows the gap a whole lot of my dealer does it.

Btw - I used RS chain in my original post just to compare chisel prices. I do want to try a semi chisel chain next time around.

Btw - I used RS chain in my original post just to compare chisel prices. I do want to try a semi chisel chain next time around.

Semi-chisel is the way to go unless you are in a BIG hurry in clean wood. Full removes a LOT more material with each sharpening just to put that littler point back on the tip.

Semi-chisel is the way to go unless you are in a BIG hurry in clean wood. Full removes a LOT more material with each sharpening just to put that littler point back on the tip.

I’ve not sharpened much semi chisel other than on my battery pole saw. It’s definitely harder for me to visually note when it’s sharp. The chisel you can tell when the point reaches an apex.

I make my own loops of Stihl chain off reels I bought from dealer close outs, going to suck if I ever need to buy pre made loops from dealers. Its always been the best chain for my uses but we have run all makers makes of chain. The other brands have seen good runs and not so good ones, sometimes fairly good metal wise while other runs have been softer with some the chrome was peeling off.

Yep, the Cub Cadet dealer became a Stihl dealer also. They were also a Pequea trailer dealer. I went in to buy a new set of bairings on my 13 year old dump trailer. Asked if they had any 114 DL loops of 3/8 50. He said he did and they were on buy one get one free, and he had 2, now I have 2.

Latest posts

Back