McColloch 380 pressed into big bar service?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We need a serviceable big bar saw to do some big cuts, seems like everything modern and ready to go is $5-700, and we'd like to use what we have because we are poorish.

Have a Mac 380 that runs if you gas can prime it. Seems to run and cut well when it starts, doesn't always like to start. Found a carb kit thanks to an old thread here https://www.sugarcreeksupply.net/co...ducts/mcculloch-mac-9-flatback-carburetor-kit and also electronic ignition kits.

Have a Pro Mac 610 that we've been using with a 32" full chisel full comp 3/8 B&C, it barely turns it over in big wood. The mount pattern seems to match. While the bar mounts seem to match up, didn't get time to try it out on the 380 yet to see if the oiler passages were copasetic.

First off, need to get a clutch drum/sprocket for 3/8ths chain, and second, there are 7 and 8 pin rims available. I'm tempted to go for the 8 pin to make use of the torque to turn it into speed, but 87cc is still not enough according to some for power on a bar that big with a modern saw even. http://www.lilredbarn.net/McCulloch-380-Chainsaw-Parts-s/1773.htm

Lastly is this gamut even worth my time?

That answers that, perfect! Thanks guys.

The link below was helpful and has a 380 service manual for the carb adjustment and helpful exploded views. I believe if I can get the carb primer working, this will start much easier and be more useable. Its still probably a nearly 30lb saw with fuel and bar, but it seems rock solid built and had useable power. I'll be in shape to swing a 3120XP then for sure.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/mcculloch-flatback-carb-kits.292518/

I have a 380 with a 32" hard nose bar. I run 3/8 full chisel skip tooth on a 7 pin rim. It pulls the bar just fine but dont get in too big of a hurry, it is not a fast cutting saw. You will want to be constantly pumping the oiler if cutting full bar length, your thumb will get a workout.
The bar off the 610 will work with a little filing of the bar slot. You will need to use a set of bar plates for the 380 and a set of these spacers to keep the chain from eating into the bar pad. The 610 bar has a narrower tail, that is why the spacers are needed.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/351649107750
Any other questions, just ask.
140deb323f5a3f1ddb1477ee58e2354e.jpg
58837ce00ef44c743eaafbbeaba08e7f.jpg

2broke2ride,
Awesome post! Thanks so much, grabbing the parts today you suggested! I noticed your McColloch tat in your profile pic. Nice!

Are you running a spark arrestor off of an older saw or did that one come with it? Seen that style on a 300/250 Mac. Our saw has the canister style muffler on it (which is still plenty loud).

My brother in law has a 200, 250, 300, 380. So far this 380 is the most likely runner of all of those and the biggest cube. He's searching hard for an SP125 but doesn't want to pay the big bucks for one. I think he's got 20+ Mac saws. But doesn't cut firewood. So any chance for his saws to get used....

Randy Mac, beautiful saw.

Thank you Dutch, it is one of my favorites.
It is a parts bin saw, it came to me as an un-fueled, unused, ''carcass'' both sides were stripped of parts, the airbox cover was also missing.. So I collected NOS and nice parts and went from there.
The Flatback was replaced with an HL 63, I put a 4 shoe clutch on it, with an 8 pin rim sprocket in 3/8''.
The only thing that needs replaced is the recoil, soon to be a nice shiny yellow one.
It is a very early 250, adapted from it's predecessor, the 1-50, out of the 5 250s I have, it runs the strongest, I've put about 40 hours of run time on it.
McC250 003.JPG McC250 002.JPG McC250 004.JPG

Did you polish up the spikes?! I notice you are also running skip, and an 8 pin how is the cutting speed? Too late for me now. Ha. Parts 7pin and clutch drum/spacers come in on Wednesday.

Why did you get rid of the flatback?

2broke2ride,
Awesome post! Thanks so much, grabbing the parts today you suggested! I noticed your McColloch tat in your profile pic. Nice!

Are you running a spark arrestor off of an older saw or did that one come with it? Seen that style on a 300/250 Mac. Our saw has the canister style muffler on it (which is still plenty loud).
It is just the "stack" muffler used on the more basic saws. It doesnt really work as well with the full wrap handlebar because it blows the exhaust in your face if you try to cut recoil side down but I couldnt find a good canister muffler when I was restoring this saw.

Bar nuts almost too short.forgot a shim on the old clutch drum so it will have to all come apart again. Stupid thing will not start for anything not getting fuel to the carb that I can tell.

Oh well. Another day maybe

Back