Husqvarna Sticky!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found another set of thin rings I think there husky rings. Looks like I may rebuild my jungle saw afterall.

I did buy chrome rings 56mm bore also. I’d rather use chrome thin rings if they fit. I’m not sure how long the thin rings keep there tension.

FWIW I picked up a 2100CD last week and it has a front exit muffler . Not sure if that's the one they call a "Jungle" muffler but it looks very restrictive. The pot under the louvered cover has 8 exit holes at 0.178" diameter. The spark arrester screen is long gone. The pot is called a "flame protector" as near as I can tell.

That's only 0.2 sq in area over the eight holes.

The exhaust port is about o.65 sq in

I'll be a lot of those got chucked out.

The mufflers with the screen can be found in the 2100/285/480/380/280. I bought the muffler to get the louvre and screen/box with holes.

I have other 2100 mufflers with the top exhaust exit with the indentation for the louvre assembly in the lower front. I’m going to cut the indentation out to fit the louvre assembly too. i figure to use 4mm rev nuts. Using both exhaust ports it will breath better. I wonder if we enlarge the tiny holes in the box would help more ar peak rpms to get rid of the exhaust.? I’m going to use the complete louvre assembly. A little change at a time I don’t want to over complicate it. These 100cc saws scream with the govenor plugged.

Of course with all the exhaust work something needs to be done with the intake/carb too.

For those looking for a fuel tank vent idea, I think this will work well. A nitrile grommet and an Echo vent. Likely not too easy to get a grommet in with the tank on the saw but a suitable piece of fuel line could work as well.

I haven't put the tank / rear handle on yet but the hole in the saw case is 9/16"+ and the cap on the Echo vent is 7/16" so it should fit in nicely unless it doesn't line up.

DSCF4161.JPG DSCF4162.JPG

The mufflers with the screen can be found in the 2100/285/480/380/280. I bought the muffler to get the louvre and screen/box with holes.

I have other 2100 mufflers with the top exhaust exit with the indentation for the louvre assembly in the lower front. I’m going to cut the indentation out to fit the louvre assembly too. i figure to use 4mm rev nuts. Using both exhaust ports it will breath better. I wonder if we enlarge the tiny holes in the box would help more ar peak rpms to get rid of the exhaust.? I’m going to use the complete louvre assembly. A little change at a time I don’t want to over complicate it. These 100cc saws scream with the govenor plugged.

Of course with all the exhaust work something needs to be done with the intake/carb too.

I guess the best way for me to tell if opening that up with help would be to run it with the pot out and do some timed cuts. The governor would have to be blocked to see if the carb needed to be richened on the high side.

My buddy showed up and where he lives there’s only a Stihl dealer for miles. So he didn’t buy another husky. His dealer said that Husqvarna is made by different manufacturers in different countries. There all not from Sweden. How many manufacturers are there making Husqvarna saws?

1. Sweden

Husqvarna's margins and sales are down and they are doing some significant restructuring. Some plants will be closed and some relocated. I could always find a list of their manufacturing facilities including China. They have no location listings I can find in their reports or on their website.
Shakeup time.
I would be surprised if they were outsourcing the production of saws but they certainly were making some in their Chinese facilities as is Stihl. I believe the MS250's are out of China.

They are starting to focus on battery powered consumer products according to their 2018 annual report and have disbanded their Consumer Products Division.

I had no luck getting details on that, but they did say they have discontinued a relationship with a large American retailer due to low margins.

I guess there focusing on the mid saw cc market and the electric market because the homeowner retail section is bigger. Time will tell.

Update on my search for thin rings before I make this piston a pencil holder. Strike two on two sources for 56 mm rings I found. One set is 56 mm from a kawasaki 125 cc dirtbike a hair too thick but there chromed. Another is from a husky dealer on eBay double the thickness of my .0245”/56 mm jungle rings, one more strike to go I tried one place that has a jungle cylinder listed and a std cylinder listed they list jungle rings. I’m not feeling too lucky right now. But like my old restored husky dirtbikes the hunt for parts is fun.

Update on my search for thin rings before I make this piston a pencil holder. Strike two on two sources for 56 mm rings I found. One set is 56 mm from a kawasaki 125 cc dirtbike a hair too thick but there chromed. Another is from a husky dealer on eBay double the thickness of my .0245”/56 mm jungle rings, one more strike to go I tried one place that has a jungle cylinder listed and a std cylinder listed they list jungle rings. I’m not feeling too lucky right now. But like my old restored husky dirtbikes the hunt for parts is fun.

Were you planning on using chrome rings in the husky cylinder? If so, I believe that's not recommended. Apparently chrome on chrome is very bad news.

If your search doesn't pull up any OEM rings, Hastings will make steel rings to order at a reasonable cost. Likely SAE 9254 alloy. I think LeeH said around $15 a ring. Worth checking out.

My buddy showed up and where he lives there’s only a Stihl dealer for miles. So he didn’t buy another husky. His dealer said that Husqvarna is made by different manufacturers in different countries. There all not from Sweden. How many manufacturers are there making Husqvarna saws?

1. Sweden

2 others I knew of.

h395b.png h66tag.jpg

1. Sweden
Pretty sure the only manufacturer making Husqvarna saws is Husqvarna. The have their own fabs in so many countries due to aquisitions that, if anything, they're probably looking to offload the least viable ones.
I've no reason to believe the Wikipedia entry is inaccurate. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Husqvarna_Group

2 others I knew of.
At the time I was told that the Tomos collaboration came about as a result of talks between the then Swedish and Yugslavian government trade ministries. The Yugoslavian-made 66 was initially only to be sold in Eastern Europe. Then we started making them in Australia using all Swedish-made components apart from the Gilardoni c&p.

FWIW I picked up a 2100CD last week and it has a front exit muffler . Not sure if that's the one they call a "Jungle" muffler but it looks very restrictive. The pot under the louvered cover has 8 exit holes at 0.178" diameter. The spark arrester screen is long gone. The pot is called a "flame protector" as near as I can tell.

That's only 0.2 sq in area over the eight holes.

The exhaust port is about o.65 sq in

I'll be a lot of those got chucked out.

Correct, the muffler with the front exit is referred to as the “jungle” muffler. Partstree has pretty good illustrated parts list for the 2100/2101 saws that are pretty clean.

Yup there .0245”. In the c/p I purchased the ring end gap is very large, they didn’t fit the end gaps correctly to the pins that won’t let the rings turn. Plus I’m not sure what the life of these thin rings are, the used set I have, have lost there spring tension. I read where thinner rings reduce the ring flutter.

Yup there .0245”. In the c/p I purchased the ring end gap is very large, they didn’t fit the end gaps correctly to the pins that won’t let the rings turn. Plus I’m not sure what the life of these thin rings are, the used set I have, have lost there spring tension. I read where thinner rings reduce the ring flutter.
From memory, the end gap when new is large, like in whole millimeters.

The thin rings performed well when they first turned up in 181s in Australia but wore out so quickly that we stopped fitting them. As a result, nearly every member of staff ended up with a brand new 181 thin-ring "paperweight" on their desk.
As a result, we didn't introduce the thin ring pistons on 266 or 2100 either.

Latest posts

Back