Safety while descending and segmenting trunk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Mitchell

Reaction score
Newbie question here.. when a tree is being segmented during a descent after all the limbs have been removed, what is the best way to maintain safety seeing the use of lifelines attached to a TIP above you is not possible?

Use of climbing spikes, a flip line and backup lanyard are assumed, I am just curious if there are practices that make it safer during this process of cutting and descending down the trunk?

The only way that I can see that an emergency decent line could be used in this situation would be to move the TIP down to about waist level for each cut....

The only way that I can see that an emergency decent line could be used in this situation would be to move the TIP down to about waist level for each cut....

That's the best way I've found. I use an adjustable friction saver around the trunk, with my doubled rope setup through that. An SRT user could simply use a running bowline to choke the trunk.

I running bowline my climbing line around the trunk and use a deaf figure eight backing up a V. tress in case I'd have to come down srt. Also lanyard around the tree, of course. When the tree is down to a spar I can drop I also use the figure eight to repel down the tag line with the lanyard around the tree of course......cause I never repel down a bull line.

Thanks Yarz and Del, much appreciated for the information. I will be using SRT and a rope wrench so descent will be quick and easy if needed. Del, just to clarify.... what is a V. tress?

Cheers,
Tim.

Newbie question here.. when a tree is being segmented during a descent after all the limbs have been removed, what is the best way to maintain safety seeing the use of lifelines attached to a TIP above you is not possible?

Use of climbing spikes, a flip line and backup lanyard are assumed, I am just curious if there are practices that make it safer during this process of cutting and descending down the trunk?

Running bowline with a zigzag and chicane is very safe way. Its also nice to be able to sit down and rest the feet during your 90 foot block out.

Back