New guy needs first big one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OP if you are getting serious about cutting treat yourself to pro grade saws.

Theres plenty of good used saws out there that would fit your needs.

Me personally I mostly run a 562xp with a 20" bar and an 044 with a 25" bar.

I have other saws but that combo does everything I need.

Any moden 70cc saw will do everything you need. The power difference between a pro 70cc saw and a 60cc homeowner saw will blow your mind, especially if you've never tried a pro saw. I'd skip the 391 as they are heavy and theres way better saws in that size range for the money.

If you want or need a bigger saw then 70cc a 281,288,390, 394 or 395 husky would suite your needs.

If you are of the more stihl persuasion then an 046, 460, 461 or 660 would pull a big bar just fine.

I use both husky and stihl and like certain models from bith companies.

I think you all are about to convince me to spend a good chunk of money. I really like the power to weight ratio of the pro saws.

Looks like a 291/461 combo will be in the stable soon.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the 291 is a "pro saw"?
Pretty sure the 261 is, but good luck finding one without the M-Tronic (if you do, buy two, I want one).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the 291 is a "pro saw"?
Pretty sure the 261 is, but good luck finding one without the M-Tronic (if you do, buy two, I want one).

You’re correct, the 291 is not a pro saw. It’s a farm/ranch model that’ll be my main saw. The 461 was the model I was referencing.

I appreciate everyone’s input, anything else y’all recommend? Safety gear, info resource, standard practices, etc...

Hello all new guy here.

I’m in need of some advice. I currently have a stihl 009L and a 028 wood boss. I’ve recently begun tending to a large plot of land and need bigger toys. I was considering a 291 with an 18” and a 391 with a 25”. The 291 will be replacing the 028. It’s the 391 I’m wondering about. Most of the big stuff I’ll be cutting is under 48”, but there will be the occasional 60”.

There’s a friend of mine who runs a 461 and loves it. I’ve found a place locally who still has 3 of them new. Just not sure if paying double is worth it and if it’s too much for a first big saw. By the way I’m 6’ 1” and 315lbs. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

I generally stick to the 30cc, 60cc, 90cc, +100cc setup. Lots of variables depending on what gets pulled of the shelf. Personally, I would recommend a Stihl 660 or a Husqvarna 395 over the Stihl 880 and Husqvarna 3120 unless you are looking at 48” bars being the norm on the saw and buried in the wood. The economy of running the +100cc saws is atrocious unless they are needed, although a 3120 new at $1300.00 makes it a lot better that the typical dealer price and way better than price of a new 880.

The 395 is a bit heftier feeling than the 660, however 395 has a good bit more power and is considerably smoother at the end of the day. The Husqvarna 390 is okay it is just not the rock solid take a beating type of saw like a 660 and 395. Also not the power of the 395, the 390 and 660 are okay with 36” bars, the 395 is a good bit better.

When it comes to the m-tronic system I’ve read that people are having issues with cold and hot starts. Is this a lack of knowledge on their part or a Stihl issue? Also, how water resistant are they? If it’s raining or your working in a creek and your bar hits the water will it kill the computer?

Side note, I understand that if someone has an issue they’ll post it all over the internet. Has Stihl gotten the bugs worked out?
welcome to AS @Hambone. As you can see we are a bunch of opinionated saw nutz. I run 2 m-tronic saws ( and others) mostly in winter with snow on the ground and have not had any problems with moisture. No issuses with starts on mine. The 462 only has about 20 tanks thru it. The 241 over a 100. If you don't wan't m-tronic go with the 461. Make sure you are comfortable with the dealer. Parts and service are a must. Good luck.

I like the idea of a 2 saw setup, using the lighter saw for the majority of bucking.

I’ll be purchasing the 461 before the 291, using the 009L for light duty work until the 291 comes home.

Actually I love the 028, the bad part is she’s going to my father. So the 291 will be a permanent replacement for me.

I’m sure someday I’ll end up with an m-tronic saw. Just not yet.

I would skip the 291 and look for a clean 026

The 291 wont be much of an upgrade from the 028. I would be looking for a nice 026/260/261.

I’m looking for a close to parallel saw. Now, if I could track down a used 260. Then I’d go that direction. Just not ready to go computerized yet.

Back