How little some know about chainsaws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a fine line between doing what's necessary to get the job done and just being a cheapass!

Nah, that's just being a Cheap A$$, unless you're draining a quart or two out of the Pick up engine(my Power Stroke holds 14 quarts, 1 or 2 wont hurt it) JUST to finish a job in the woods, and avoid driving 30+ miles to a closed saw shop, to not get proper bar oil.

I've run myself close on Bar Oil, Mix Oil, fuel, it happens if you cut enough, but that is just Poor Planning and preparation, Helll, I admit to making the last few cuts with a chain that is getting dull, and not cutting straight, when it would take almost as long to sharpen or swap out the chain, as those last couple cuts will take, Lazy? YEP, but firewood ain't all that particular about square ends;)

Doug :cheers:

That's what I mean, if you were out there and just had to get a bit done maybe using something less than optimal would pass - but yeah, still not an ideal scenario or a good idea to routinely fail to plan regularly.

I have read posts from those that use it regularly, I don't remember if he was one of them, but Gunny Loves FREE Stuff;), so he may be in that club.

I usually have a jug of Delo 400 in the truck for the engine, using that would be a LOT Easier and Less Messy than draining from the engine, never mind a better bar oil than used. I don't know exactly what weight B&C oil is, but in a pinch, the Delo 400 should be "Close Enough"

I have read posts from those that use it regularly, I don't remember if he was one of them, but Gunny Loves FREE Stuff;), so he may be in that club.

I usually have a jug of Delo 400 in the truck for the engine, using that would be a LOT Easier and Less Messy than draining from the engine, never mind a better bar oil than used. I don't know exactly what weight B&C oil is, but in a pinch, the Delo 400 should be "Close Enough"

In terms of weight it seems closer to honey than motor oil to me. It's pretty globby stuff. Almost like that Lucas oil treatment you can use in your car.

This was just too painful to read. Last week I told my wife I was putting up a sign at the end of the road, "Man Cave Sale", no women allowed, tractors, mowers, tillers and chainsaws. Now I just can't do it. Some of those idiots might buy some of my beloved saws!
wiq5GUA.jpg

RdKaJnH.jpg

x0kVdVo.jpg

FMFniqF.jpg

You should try cutting trees located next to or near an old dusty dirt road. You know what I mean, where the dust is hanging on all the vegetation from vehicles traveling up and down the dirt road. Talk about dulling a chain real quick.
If someone offers me to cut wood on the side of a dirt road gets quickly turned down. I ain't messing with that.

the advantages of semi-chisel chain. aside from my 42" full-chisels, i only run semi-chisel because EVERYTHING in all places i cut is covered in dirt. wiping the dirt off with the glove only reveals another layer of dirt that doesn't wipe off the bark.

someone early on mentioned them discovering the variety of chains. one of my friends and clients and i were talking after work. she has been living in the hills for 40+ years and has cut at least 2 cords of wood every year. she had no idea there was anything aside from chisel, round-ground chain. i also tried to explain to her about tuning her saw that would run at full rpms, but she wanted to take it in for servicing instead of a few minutes with Red (Red is my mini-screwdriver.)

This has been a funny and painfull read!

My neighbor once gave me a saw that "wouldnt cut"

The chain was dull and on backwards!!

Pulled the muffler and it was burnt up.

Some peoples children!!

This was just too painful to read. Last week I told my wife I was putting up a sign at the end of the road, "Man Cave Sale", no women allowed, tractors, mowers, tillers and chainsaws. Now I just can't do it. Some of those idiots might buy some of my beloved saws! Not much interest in the old heavy saws. Now what time is the sale starting--20.00$ each all you can carry out:happybanana:---David --nice collection...
wiq5GUA.jpg

RdKaJnH.jpg

x0kVdVo.jpg

FMFniqF.jpg

It is always fun to point out being smarter then your friends, neighbors or associates, but the truth is, you were at one point as dumb and ignorant as your now idiot target.

What I am finding difficult is how to educate my fellow about how to keep his chainsaw/chain cutting. Even the language is messed up. Guy keeps saying he needs to change his "blade" cause his current one is no longer cutting. I have quit trying to telling him is it a bar and it has nothing to do with the cutting, AND I have shown him how to sharpened his chains 3 times, and even given him a 3/16ths file. IMO, I have done all I can do, it is now up to him.

Latest posts

Back