New guy needs first big one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is not - MS462 6.0 kg and MS291 5.6 kg.

And MS261 4.9 kg... I see no reason (except for money) why someone should buy MS291.
Yep. A carb 462 as a one saw plan. There is one in the classifieds now.

According to the website yes but I spoke with a stihl rep because I originally wanted a standard 261.
I have to stop by my dealer today for parts, he will also know because he always keeps a standard carb 261 in stock.

The carb ms261 is available in every dealer I have close to me in Arkansas. Have your dealer order 1 if that is what you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The carb ms261 is available in every dealer I have close to me in Arkansas. Have your dealer order 1 if that is what you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if they ship ups.

No dealer in my area has one. They’ve all switched to the m-tronic saws.

Honestly a good used 026 or ms260 would be a great saw for general use. Ive had a few of them over the years and they are light saws with decent power. Do a quick muffler mod on a 260 and it wakes them right up!

And as mentioned above if you are after an ms291 maybe look at an echo cs590. That saw is great bang for the buck and will probably out cut a 291.

You Americans are making me jealous. Have hit up a few Stihl dealerships here in Ontario and nobody can get me a carbed MS 261. Handled the M-Tronic version and it's the perfect weight/size too.

Might have to make the drive down to Detroit and see what my Canadian Snow Pesos can buy me...

Went to my dealer yesterday. Mtronic and standard 261 in stock, said he has heard of them being discontinued....I should probably buy it though, I'm betting it won't be long until all Stihl pro saws are mtronic.
20190712_161323.jpg

Dont let the MTronic scare you away. My first MTronic saw was a 362 which was a purchase on trading in a 361. That is my primary fire wood saw and has seen countless gallons of fuel. Usually 2 (or so) gallons per firewood season and I think Ive had it for almost 5 years.

My current saws have been fine tuned to a 261 V2 and a 462. In the interim Ive also had a 241, 441 and a 661, both MTronic. I haven't had a lick of issue with any of them. They always start with a max of 3 pulls and I store my saws dry. I never have to worry about tuning the carb and the compensation for the air filter getting dirty is unnoticeable.

I spoke with a good friend of mine about the m-tronic system yesterday. He said the company he works for runs the hell out of their pro saws with minimal issues. So I have two people I trust heavily and both of them are saying the complete opposite of one another. The gentlemen who’s worked out west says stay away from the m-tronic. My buddy from across the river in Illinois says they’re good trustworthy saws.

I’m starting to think I’d have an easier time buying a house over a new saw.

I spoke with a good friend of mine about the m-tronic system yesterday. He said the company he works for runs the hell out of their pro saws with minimal issues. So I have two people I trust heavily and both of them are saying the complete opposite of one another. The gentlemen who’s worked out west says stay away from the m-tronic. My buddy from across the river in Illinois says they’re good trustworthy saws.

I’m starting to think I’d have an easier time buying a house over a new saw.
There's usually an m-tronic or AT for sale here in the trading post. I just sold two of them. You could try one out for a smaller investment.

Might as well get the 660 now and be done with it, itch meet scratch.

Let 'er eat!
DramaLlama.gif

I have run countless M-Tronic 441s and several 661s and haven’t had one fail me yet, to one exception and it was due to the air it was in. The saw couldn’t pull enough oxygen from the air to get a good tune. To be fair, we could barely breathe and probably should have gotten the hell out of that smokey, hot place.

Unless you’re cutting holes in burning roofs or way too close to a set of burning snags that in the back of your mind you knew you probably should have just let be until the dozer got there, you’ll be fine, and the last 441 I took on a fire didn’t have a problem. Be honest, if you have a problem, you’ll probably take it to a shop. The charge for an M-Tronic saw is no different than one with a standard carburetor. For people who only run a little bit, they’re ideal. You start the saw and it, rather conveniently, figures itself out for you. You don’t have to re-tune to go cut the tree that fell across your driveway in the snowstorm after you haven’t run your saw since early fall.

Don’t be a luddite. There’s no need. The technology has been around for over a decade and has proven itself many times over by now.

I found a 441 cm magnum today. How do y’all feel about those? It’s got the new technology and it’s about 1 lbs lighter than the 461.

Hey Doug this guy has been running an 009 not a 090. Let him get a little time under the belt before he jumps to the 3120. Mike

Ha I went to the husqvarna 2100 right away with little saw experience. It’s all in the trigger finger. Go big or forget about it. I want a saw that can keep up with me. When I wanna cut it better cut, bigger cc’s does just that. At least a 75 to 85cc.

Bill the 3120 is not a 2100. The 090 is not a 3120 and a 500cc motorcycle engine made into a chainsaw is not an 090. Finally the aluminum buick V8 is not a 500cc saw. I have run them all and more. Just because you started with a 2100 does not mean everyone should. BTW the world does not revolve around 2100 Huskys. If you believe it is all in the finger.................Well

I found a 441 cm magnum today. How do y’all feel about those? It’s got the new technology and it’s about 1 lbs lighter than the 461.

I really like the 441. Very smooth, reliable saw. What I can say, without question, is that it is not much lighter, it all, than a 461. With that said, it’s not far behind on power either.

Rupedoggy, Sorry if I ruffled your feathers, the poster mentioned under 48” trees but maybe, possibly 60” trees? Anyhoo that means possibly a 24”/28”/30” bar normally as I took it? A small cc saw isn’t going to handle that overload. Unless he buys the smaller cc saw then finds out it’s too smaller. You can put a shorter bar on a bigger power head but you can’t put a longer bar on a small power head. I match the saw/bar/power to the work I need to do.

The 2100 is 99cc ‘s I mentioned at least 75 cc to 85 cc to him? My 385 xp buries a 32” bar no problem.

Btw, I like my 266’s, 268’s, 288’s, 385’s, 480’s too besides 2100’s.

Back