Best log splitter brands (Iron & Oak, Brave, Yardmax, Boss, others?)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hydraulically adjustable is great but certainly not necessary. As I said in my previous post, the 4 way should only be up about 4”. Who says every round should be split into 4 equal pieces? Resplitting will be in order for all but the perfect size pieces.

I strongly disagree. Using a splitter with a 4 way is great but one has to temper the added speed with common sense. I cut very large log cut offs from commercial log landings. The reason the log cut offs are disposed of is because they are from where large branches split off the main trunk. Trying to run crotches through a 4 way is going to break something. Wood still splits according to the grain and attempting to split pieces that are crotches greatly adds to the stress and you might get it stuck on the 4 way wedge.

4 ways are great but I often, (3/4) of the time use it as a conventional 2 way splitter. Auto cycle valves and smaller cylinders make up for lack of tonnage with speed.

ka4col.jpg

I strongly disagree. Using a splitter with a 4 way is great but one has to temper the added speed with common sense. I cut very large log cut offs from commercial log landings. The reason the log cut offs are disposed of is because they are from where large branches split off the main trunk. Trying to run crotches through a 4 way is going to break something. Wood still splits according to the grain and attempting to split pieces that are crotches greatly adds to the stress and you might get it stuck on the 4 way wedge.

4 ways are great but I often, (3/4) of the time use it as a conventional 2 way splitter. Auto cycle valves and smaller cylinders make up for lack of tonnage with speed.

ka4col.jpg
I agree there is wood that doesn’t warrant using the 4 way. However, a lot of the wood I split is under 20” in diameter and not crotches. If crotches are all I got, I would look for another source. Fortunately for me, I get a lot of wood from tree companies dropping off whole logs or I get a lot from farm cleanups.

Sometimes you have to blame the operator and not the machine. I have run 1400-1500 cords my 22 I&O with that same exact 4 way design and haven’t run into those problems. Those extender sleeves he has lifting up the 4 way should never be anything close to that height. I use one that allows 4” splits to come out the bottom and have been doing so for over 10 years.

IMO that design is prime for failure with anything except the very best of operators who really understand the forces at play in splitting wood and pay attention to everything involved 100% of the time.

I would bet there are many times when most or all of us experienced guys on here, with any splitter, has had the end of a round slide up a little bit on a foot (or even a wedge) when the wedge makes contact & starts doing it's thing. The angle of the cut and the grain of the wood, along with physics, makes it happen. Most any other splitter (all that I can think of), and it is no issue. With that one, the stub the wedge slides on will eventually bend, as the upward slide magnifies the forces it sees. Not only that, but the fact that it can easily slide up, as opposed to a fixed foot that most likely has material on it to grip the wood and stop/hold it, makes for another bad aspect. It might be only a very small unnoticeable amount of bend the first time - but once it does it once, it will only get worse from there.

Through in a new or inexperienced (or dumb - or bad combo per the video) operator, and that's a bad recipe.

IMO that design is prime for failure with anything except the very best of operators who really understand the forces at play in splitting wood and pay attention to everything involved 100% of the time.

I would bet there are many times when most or all of us experienced guys on here, with any splitter, has had the end of a round slide up a little bit on a foot (or even a wedge) when the wedge makes contact & starts doing it's thing. The angle of the cut and the grain of the wood, along with physics, makes it happen. Most any other splitter (all that I can think of), and it is no issue. With that one, the stub the wedge slides on will eventually bend, as the upward slide magnifies the forces it sees. Not only that, but the fact that it can easily slide up, as opposed to a fixed foot that most likely has material on it to grip the wood and stop/hold it, makes for another bad aspect. It might be only a very small unnoticeable amount of bend the first time - but once it does it once, it will only get worse from there.

Through in a new or inexperienced (or dumb - or bad combo per the video) operator, and that's a bad recipe.
Operator makes a huge difference no doubt but as I’ve already said, 1400-1500 cords through mine with 4 way mostly on and it’s still kicking arse

IMO that design is prime for failure with anything except the very best of operators who really understand the forces at play in splitting wood and pay attention to everything involved 100% of the time....

I agree. The company could make that 4way sit flat and utilize a limiter to prevent over height. Here is, in my opinion, where the lift doesnt make sense to me. For $7500, why does the lift pivot off the lower side of the beam and not some mount that stands off near the top of the beam. Every large round needs to be muscled over the difference in elevation. To me, this looks like an after thought design.

Capture+_2019-06-29-20-00-03~2.png

Lowes has Dirty Hands Tools 25 ton log spmitters on clearance now. I PIcked up one brand new for last night. They are $659.40 which is 40% off. Came to just under $700 here in PA.)
Gonna sell my troy-bilt 25 ton and hopefully break even. I think its an upgrade as it has an 11 second cycle time versus 17 seconds, and its brand new. I bought the troy-bilt used for more than my new dirty hands.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Hello! I'm in the market for a 24-30 ton splitter. From what I've read so far some good brands are Boss, Yardmax, Brave and Iron & Oak. Iron & Oak seems to be the best, but may be more than I need. Any recommendations on brands would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Yes welcome to this fantastic site.
That question is likely to be a pickle.
You'll have some saying this and some saying that.
But the best answer is, whatever works for you that your budget.
It would depend on what you'd like to spend and how much you'll use it.
I cut and split 10 cords or less a year for my own use and a little selling.
I saw a good deal on a Forest King 30 ton gas powered splitter so I bought it.
It was $1500 CAD plus $40 for a log catcher add on all from TSC store.
Works great, has vertical mode and can handle any size round of any species wood.
Forest King 30 ton log splitter.jpg

What are the opinions on the Brave 37-ton ( VH1737GX)? The Honda GX engine gets good reviews. Brave seems to be one level below Iron & Oak. I could probably get by with a Countyline, but I like to get something a litlle better than I need. :)

This is our 4th season on our 27 Ton DHT (Dirty Hand Tools), I would buy it again.

Our splitter has been very reliable, the 6.5hp/196cc Kohler starts first pull almost every time, I would not pay a dime extra for a Honda "Upgrade", I couldn't ask for anything more out of the Kohler.

We often split wood in the 24-36" range, and the vertical capability is Nice to have. My Wife Enjoys running the splitter, and has informed me that she "Gets the splitter in the Divorce";):laughing:, she even prefers splitting smaller stuff vertically:confused:, she can sit down while she splits:rolleyes:, myself I prefer running it Horizontal, until the wood gets heavy to lift on to the beam.

Doug :cheers:

I strongly disagree. Using a splitter with a 4 way is great but one has to temper the added speed with common sense. I cut very large log cut offs from commercial log landings. The reason the log cut offs are disposed of is because they are from where large branches split off the main trunk. Trying to run crotches through a 4 way is going to break something.
All 4-ways aren't created equal!!

I've run hundreds of crotches through my Timber Wolfs 4-way, they all go through no problem at all!

standard.jpg

I probably wouldn't do it on a wimpy splitter, but I bought a Timber Wolf so I could split EVERYTHING and not have to worry about it.

standard.jpg

In the years I've had this TW, I've split a LOT of wood, and I haven't had to fix or replace even one thing on it!

SR

I've run hundreds of crotches through my Timber Wolfs 4-way, they all go through no problem at all!

standard.jpg

I probably wouldn't do it on a wimpy splitter, but I bought a Timber Wolf so I could split EVERYTHING and not have to worry about it.

standard.jpg

In the years I've had this TW, I've split a LOT of wood, and I haven't had to fix or replace even one thing on it!

SR
I agree, not all splitters are created the same. Additionally, as evidenced by your photos, even the paint on the TW is superior to the wimpy big box splitter's paint. Thanks.

Attachments

• standard (1).jpg
    standard (1).jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 6
  • standard.jpg
    standard.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 7
The paint IS pretty good on TW's, there's enough guys here on this site that own them and will attest to that.

Yes the pict. above is a few years old, but here is what it looks like today,

standard.jpg

It STILL looks pretty good, and it even lives outside!

SR

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

SR

I still stand by my statement. One needs to use common sense when running a 4 way wedge. Are you going to tell me you have never gotten anything stuck on it too?

I still stand by my statement. One needs to use common sense when running a 4 way wedge. Are you going to tell me you have never gotten anything stuck on it too?
Two times over all the years with the hundreds of crotches I've split...

Both were big dried out narley chunks of wood, and it was no big deal at all. I put a chain around them and used the splitter to pull the chunks back off. Then I ran them through the 4-way in a different position and finished the job...

Like I said, no big deal...

ALL the good wood/logs go to my BSM, the rest = junk wood like crotches, go to the TW for firewood...

SR

A craftsman 27 ton splitter is on the auction block in a week. Any thoughts/experience with this unit.
The seller, from today's auction, woodn't watch how inexpensive her goods wood go for. Just saying! I got an older wb at a previous auction that will be flued by pros, and heating the place while I'm away isn't important to me. Not looking at a large amount of btu's needed as was the case in a 3,000 sq ft home I was providing for 9 years ago. Propane man showed up and left the hose reeled up.:laughing: Dual fuel , 4 foot burner. Load when I got up and fore laying down kept that place @ or close to 70°.
I am not up to swinging a maul much any more. 27 t craftsman good enough for near day after day 1 hour or so at a time use?
Thanks for view points

Latest posts

Back