Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's good to know about the clutch, I haven't thought much about them . I'm going to have to look at mine and work over the ones that aren't working as well as they should. Some of them looked bad when I was fixing the saws but I just grabbed one from the parts box and used it. Most of them are the replaceable rim sprocket type. My first saw had one and I like them so I have changed them as I could find one. All of my big saws have them. I'll have to make a fixture for turning the shoes back true, I'll post pictures when I do this to them. Water weekend so I'm up and going to move some pipes

What are you having trouble with?

Steve Sidwell

I got the fuel feed line in that has the filter no issues. I typically use safety wire and pull the line through but the size of the larger return line is making that difficult as it keeps braking the safety wire. Or my last attempt the rubber line broke not the wire. It's actually in the hole but I need some longer needle nose to reach where it is to pull it through. I may try fishing line instead.

Got the lines done. It ran but when adjusting the carb it died so one time restarting the pull rope broke. This stupid thing keeps fighting back! My settings seem totally crazy too. I think I'm probably like 3 turns out on low. Was like around 1.5 out on high. Gave up as we're gonna go out on the boat and I've had enough with it for today. Seems to be a pattern lately.

Got the lines done. It ran but when adjusting the carb it died so one time restarting the pull rope broke. This stupid thing keeps fighting back! My settings seem totally crazy too. I think I'm probably like 3 turns out on low. Was like around 1.5 out on high. Gave up as we're gonna go out on the boat and I've had enough with it for today. Seems to be a pattern lately.
Is that a stratos engine? I got a pair of angle forceps from harbor freight to do fuel lines, lovem.

Steve Sidwell

It's good to know about the clutch, I haven't thought much about them . I'm going to have to look at mine and work over the ones that aren't working as well as they should. Some of them looked bad when I was fixing the saws but I just grabbed one from the parts box and used it. Most of them are the replaceable rim sprocket type. My first saw had one and I like them so I have changed them as I could find one. All of my big saws have them. I'll have to make a fixture for turning the shoes back true, I'll post pictures when I do this to them. Water weekend so I'm up and going to move some pipes

Mine has a rim and I just figured it was factory. That's a good idea turning them square again it appears the spring is forcing the shoes to tilt over as they throw out

The rim sprocket was a factory option as far as I know. I have a few that are really tapered, must be getting tight and the weight pulling them sideways. Only have 25 or so to fix. What did you use to soak them in, I have some carb cleaner that might be good

The rim sprocket was a factory option as far as I know. I have a few that are really tapered, must be getting tight and the weight pulling them sideways. Only have 25 or so to fix. What did you use to soak them in, I have some carb cleaner that might be good

Ah right ok so it may be original and to be honest i never used anything a clean rag and was good to go

Anyone know what the base settings should be for a poulan pro 4218a carb?

Looks like this (this one isn't mine)

Attachments

• 537C99B6-4627-4D36-8809-9110D723FF4A.jpeg
    537C99B6-4627-4D36-8809-9110D723FF4A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 7
I would say 1 1/2 turns out from all the way in and tune from there.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Working on the clutches, fixture was easy enough to make just used some brass round that I had. Just put the shoes on and take a light cut to true them, works good 20190714_060945.jpg

Attachments

• 20190714_061150.jpg
    20190714_061150.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 14
  • 20190714_061245.jpg
    20190714_061245.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 13
  • 20190714_061808.jpg
    20190714_061808.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 13
CD5370DF-C587-4EC3-B5ED-AFD0953C7C5F.jpeg 0430873E-7D39-4DBA-B009-9CAC425FB454.jpeg 7BB14AA6-194C-40C5-AE78-2EB7BD26A85D.jpeg 443A074F-0540-46FB-87D8-DDBA77443924.jpeg
I thought I had a real steal of a deal . The guy says he ran it last in April and the left side handle broke . I knew I had spares so no problem . I gave him $40 for it without inspecting it very close . Long story short the AV mount on the rear of the case is broken off this is something I can’t repair . So I’m going to crossbreed a craftsman 3.8 I have into a red and green bow .

Back