Flat Tire Dump Trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep an eye on it with that plug in it and you'll be fine, otherwise at the shop I worked at we would have put a "sidewall" patch on it without issue. I'm no patch expert but they were the same patches we used for large truck tires and rarely had problems with them. If there was an issue, it was usually due to a poor job putting it in.

It's funny because I have never had any concerns about a plug being a perminant tire fix. Maybe because when I grew up my dad owned a shop and that's just what you did when there was a nail in the tire. My ATV tires and tractor tires have plugs in them and they hold up fine off road and spinning in mud and snow.

Today, loaded up 1/3 cord of silver birch and a bunch of random lumber in the trailer behind the Volvo. Notice right rear looks off. Yep, down to 20psi. Roofing nail in the tread. Out comes the plug kit, didn't even have to take the tire off the car. On way home after kid's baseball game, he says "Hey dad, that tire on the trailer looks low!" I look in the rearview mirror and it looks fine. Get home, have supper and go to unload trailer, right side tire is flat. Took two plugs in the tread to get that one to hold. Guess I better buy a spare for the trailer tomorrow...wonder when number three is going to strike.

My trailers are used so seldom, I usually just check the pressure before using them. Not unusual to find a flat, sometimes all 4. I'll air them up and head out, but I usually aint going more than a few miles. I keep a small 12v compressor in the truck. Just a week or two ago, I hualed off a load of trash in the dump. When I got home I found a large screw in the tire. Pulled out the plug kit and plugged it. Checked the air all the way around so I could hall another load the next day. Next morning, another tire was flat. Hooked up compressor and found the stem had blowed out. That fix had to be done at the tire shop. Tire that was plugged is still holding air. My trailer tires usually dryrot before they wear out.

I pull a dump trailer to the dump . Getting a new tire were I work at not going to happen . The only hope is fallow the dozer tracks . Just looking at the crap I back over will I make it home ? Getting close to 20 plugs in 1 tire .

I pull a dump trailer to the dump . Getting a new tire were I work at not going to happen . The only hope is fallow the dozer tracks . Just looking at the crap I back over will I make it home ? Getting close to 20 plugs in 1 tire .

I've gotten into several arguments with the dozer operator at the dump because they want me to back up on piles of trash. I say that is what the dozer is for to push that junk where it needs to go.

I have literally plugged hundreds of tires over the years with those “temporary” plugs and the only problems I’ve ever had are ones that needed more than two plugs to fill the hole. I’ve even plugged sidewalls just to get home.

Technically a tire shop wouldn’t patch a tire in that position but I would have no problem running it. Just keep an eye on it.

The problem with plugging a tire near the edge is the tread “squirms” more there which can cause the plug to work itself out or the cords can cut through it. “E” range tires are much stiffer and don’t squirm as much.

Bottom line, even if the plug comes out you probably aren’t looking at a rapid or catastrophic failure.

We have the same issue at work when we take all the old furnaces and ac's to the scrap yard. Get one flat tire on the dump trailer or truck and there goes the money you made on the scrap. My boss recently found someone to come and pick up the scrap metal from our shop. Its worth it, he may lose the 200$ in scrap money but no flat tires and he doesn't have to pay us to load the trailer.

We have the same issue at work when we take all the old furnaces and ac's to the scrap yard. Get one flat tire on the dump trailer or truck and there goes the money you made on the scrap. My boss recently found someone to come and pick up the scrap metal from our shop. Its worth it, he may lose the 200$ in scrap money but no flat tires and he doesn't have to pay us to load the trailer.
Just curious, do you do HVAC work.

Latest posts

Back