DR brush mower

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCPT

Love my saws
Reaction score
I was able to get this dr brush mower today. I traded for some labor and firewood....so it has some relevance in this sub-forum I guess. ;)

It has sat due to dead battery, leading to pulling the rope out....so it shouldn't be a problem getting it running, B&S 10.5 hp on it.

Parts seem available but wondering if this thing will just be a money pit or a fun project this winter (might clean it up real good and paint it).

Anyone have any experience with DR or other walk behind brush mower's ? I have a bank that is too steep to ride anything on and I dread keeping it knocked down with my weedeater (although I have been eyeing a stihl fs240 with handlebars).

20190714_150156.jpg

I can't get the shift lever into neutral either, it will go 1st through 5th forward gears but will not go down into neutral then reverse.

I have an older version of the DR bush hog. It works well and has an 8 hp Briggs IC.

It is not a finish mower but it is good for woody plants one inch and under.
It also has a finish mower deck that goes with it, I have to go back and get it.

I would think once you get it running, it will be a welcome addition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't get the shift lever into neutral either, it will go 1st through 5th forward gears but will not go down into neutral then reverse.

The trany may fix itself once you get it going and use it a little. Let them gears work a little and it may free up.

One came in a few weeks ago.

I thought it'd be handy, but truthfully, if a tractor or zero turn can't get in there, likely that won't either.

The one that came in had regular style 3 blade mower deck. Did have taller clearance than a regular mower, but it'd still cause damage if a rock, stump, etc was hit with the blades.
Do they make one that has swing away blades like a bush hog?

Surprizeing how well those walk behinds can stick to steep ditch banks.
Ones where a Z Turn or tractor finds to steep.

Think once you get it going and use it once, you will keep it.

:D Al

I have used a Billy Goat mower several times. My complaint about the BG is there was no locking differential so when you wanted to go straight it was all mussel to keep it in line. Its a very efficient way to wear yourself out if you have multiple acres to cut but I don't advise it. I believe the DR (at least the newer version of that mower) has a diff lock. Great for mowing brier patches if you don't have a brush hog or through yours woods.

Surprizeing how well those walk behinds can stick to steep ditch banks.
Ones where a Z Turn or tractor finds to steep.

Think once you get it going and use it once, you will keep it.

When I was in the Air Force we had to maintain several hundred acres of storage igloos and and ditch lines. (no... not eskimo igloos... the storage buildings are called igloos. Look up munitions igloo)

We had a slope mower for doing the igloos, it rarely got used. Was quicker to just use zero turns and weed eaters.

It had an enclosed cab and was setup so it stayed level when on a side hill. It also had controls to slide the axles wider for better stability.

Looked similar to this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HUSTLER-EX...ILLSIDER-DIESEL-PLOW-ATTACHMENT-/192912044354

I believe the DR (at least the newer version of that mower) has a diff lock. Great for mowing brier patches if you don't have a brush hog or through yours woods.
Yes, this one has a diff lock.

I wear base ball cleats when ditch mowing.

That's not a bad idea lol.

I just got this to do the banks around here until I get the DR running.
20190717_180542.jpg

Should have got one of these a long time ago!
20190717_182534.jpg

I have one, a newer model with a brush mower on it and a snowblower for winter. I had a gravely but I like this mower because the motor is up top where the gravely motor was inline with the tranny (more torque) but collected more dry grass clippings on top of the motor and would spark fires on the engine. The diff lock is huge on the hills and will keep going so long as you hold the handles and engage the cutter. Keep the blade sharp and you should have no problems. Get in touch with DR in Vermont and give them the model numbers to match all the parts and pieces you need.

I have a little side bussiness mowing ditch banks for people.

My father in law passed some of his people on to me when he felt the banks were just to steep for him any longer.
He wore foot ball cleats and said they were ok when the soil was soft but dry mid summer clay they didn't work well at all. Changed to some ice cleats that strapped on then.

Do you all ever worry about proper engine oiling when mowing hills? With engines that don't have pressure lubrication?

I mow a yard that has a decent bank near the road. The walk behind I use has a briggs 14.5 I/C and I always wonder how far I can push it, if it's too much.

Do you all ever worry about proper engine oiling when mowing hills? With engines that don't have pressure lubrication?

I mow a yard that has a decent bank near the road. The walk behind I use has a briggs 14.5 I/C and I always wonder how far I can push it, if it's too much.

When I was a kid my Dad would tell us not to run the push mowers sideways for too long because of that, but I've never seen one die from not oiling other than when it actually had no oil.
I'm sure it's not great for it, but dunno.

I've mowed ditch lines with a push mower where I had to keep twisting on the mower handle so it wouldn't flip over, maybe 50-60* angle. It's much easier to do with a weed eater, but it sometimes works out that it's at the shop and I don't feel like making a trip just for for that... or it's at home and I need it here.

I run extra oil in my Husky AWD with the B/S engine. I raise the dip stick side up on a 4x4 chiunk I have and add oil till shows on the dip stick.

I plan of doing the same with the Kohler on the Bunton after I get it running.

Latest posts

Back