Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi speed may be around 2 1/2 to 3 turns out. Fun to get them set correct but can be done, they run richer than a non stratos charged saw.

Steve Sidwell

That's closer to where I'm at but I'm not sure I'm that far out yet on high speed. I was in the middle of working on it when it died then couldn't restart due to the rope breaking. I'm probably that roughly on the low speed as well. That gives me a better ballpark to shoot for. Won't touch the thing until next weekend then I can try and get it going. I have my new toy coming in today and hopefully the bar will be in this week as well.

You will need both matched case halves, nice factory bow saw Gary. Almost came down you way today but I had to get my trim mower going and brush cutter running.

Steve Sidwell
What I mean is I’ll put the clutch cover ,Chain catch, Bow , plus a few misc parts on a 3.8 craftsman I have laying around to make it complete . I may even paint the green parts red . I’ve never seen a craftsman labeled bow saw did they produce any ?

I've never seen one before myself Gary. I do remember always looking through those Sears Catalogs, mainly the tools and outdoor one. I remember one time they had a bobo on the mens boxers one time, it was showing more than it was suppose to.

Well, I had a couple free minutes today to play with my saws. The Poulan Pro 4218 AVX fired up and idled well. However, when I hit the throttle, it boggs down then dies. If I gradually pull the throttle, it revs up good most of the way, then when it is almost held down all the way, it still boggs down and wants to die. What would be the best place to start with this thing? Just asking as I mentioned earlier, it was a free saw that looks well like it spent quite some time in the sun as one side is completely sun faded, while the other was just plain old dirty. As it is, I do not honestly believe that teh carburetor was ever played with, but I cannot guarantee it. I also make the above statement as it was found up in cottage country and I highly doubt anyone would have the carburetor adjusting tool for it. Thank you. I am mainly wondering if anyone may think it is sucking air in by the symptoms I mentioned. Would it maybe be an idea to put soem Sea Foam in the fuel and see if it helps?

Well, thanks to your help again, I have a decent running saw. Turns out it was just a little tweak on the high speed needle (opening up about 1/4 turn as was mentioned). I also touched the low speed a tiny bit too. Regardless, it does work. Thanks again!

So I got material from a fellow member to cut out some oil pump diaphragms for the 3400/3700/4000 saws. Still need to test cut with paper before I try the other material. Someone also sent me other gaskets that'd be worthwhile to have. I'm working on doing the drawings for those but will need to figure out how I want to test fit those as I'm not pulling my saw all apart to test. May need to ask for a guinea pig once I get to those. I'll verify scale off of the pump diaphragm and go from there. Busy all week and basically getting a shower and passing out all week when I get home. May have time this weekend but most likely a week or two to get some stuff cut out.

Latest posts

Back