Rim Sprockets, how long do they last?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently figured that my 880 could run my 461's bars and chains with the simple change of the rim sprockets. Which then led me to think that all my saws could be cross compatible by simply rim sprocket changes. Doesn't quite work out that way, 7 pin standards vs 7 pin minis, but it did get a lot of cross compatibility more possible.

Turns out my ms290 has about 3 years on its rim sprocket and that would be 20 to 30 cords and I would say it still looks damn good. Another 3 years or more, easily!

I recently figured that my 880 could run my 461's bars and chains with the simple change of the rim sprockets. Which then led me to think that all my saws could be cross compatible by simply rim sprocket changes. Doesn't quite work out that way, 7 pin standards vs 7 pin minis, but it did get a lot of cross compatibility more possible.

Turns out my ms290 has about 3 years on its rim sprocket and that would be 20 to 30 cords and I would say it still looks damn good. Another 3 years or more, easily!
Depends on how you maintain your saw and chain adjustment. How much it is used for cutting, not idling.

I removed every sprocket drum and replaced them with a rim and drum. I call it rollerizing the bar and chain setup. It’s much easier on the saws engine too.
I’ve seen the drum wear out on running rims too but that’s way down the road before that happens. Just stock up on rims now. I have the rim and drum kits instock for my saws too. I stock up when baileys has a sale or clearence. It’s nice on a weekend when I need a part I have it.

When my mine gets a Groove deep enough the chain doesn't run smooth it gets changed. Most literature I've seen suggest an average of Two Chains per sprocket. I recently bought a saw that wouldn't even turn the chain because his Groove was wore through to the bottom .

How is a rim drum system easier on your saws engine? I know it's splitting hairs but you actually have a more direct transfer of power from the engine to the chain with the Spur setup.

Simple the sprocket is a cog, it feels it’s way on each tooth the rim is a roller less friction. Add the sprocket nose bar there’s way less friction we’re pulling the full hp from the saw.

Change the drum every three rims. Its like a brake drum on a vehicle. The surfaces (Clutch and drum) wear the same way.
If left too long, the drum wobbles, possibly damaging the brake band, and possibly the oil pump worm.
Clutch shoes will start to conform to the worn drum due to slippage. Then comes the heat.
I've seen them so worn, they split, allowing the clutch to explode and it take out that side of the saw.
Basically they don't last forever.
Guys try, but they don't

Stihl86 correct as soon as we see the splines wear on the drum change it out.

What I’m seeing in the used saws I purchased I guess the po has no needle nose grease gun. Every clutch bearing is dry. One saw it felt like the rollers in the bearing were square, husky did a great job in engineering the crank the bearing surface is rock hard the bearing even if bad can’t touch it.

Stihl86 correct as soon as we see the splines wear on the drum change it out.

What I’m seeing invthe used saws I purchased I guess the po has no needle nose grease gun. Every clutch bearing is dry. Onevsaw it felt like the rollers in the bearing were square, husky did a great job in engineering the crank the bearing surface isvrock hard the bearing evenvifcbad can’t touch it.

Huskybill......could you try again in English?

Back