Big Sprockets, Long Bars, Big Dogs and Chisel Chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw that awsome picture and thought I could reply with this one.
View attachment 459835
Is this a trick for special people like me? Except for a cannon bar and plastic bedliner that's the same??! Still some pretty good bad a$$ery though like I mentioned earlier. Easy with the large rock throwing please as I honestly don't know and never handles either, but are those homies or Mac's? Heading for my tin hat now so thanks in advance lol

Is this a trick for special people like me? Except for a cannon bar and plastic bedliner that's the same??! Still some pretty good bad a$$ery though like I mentioned earlier. Easy with the large rock throwing please as I honestly don't know and never handles either, but are those homies or Mac's? Heading for my tin hat now so thanks in advance lol
I saw that picture and had just installed the fat bar on my 101b. Not too many 101's with everything under the hood so I thought it would be cool to see that someone else in a different area of the country has a similar setup, white truck included.

I saw that picture and had just installed the fat bar on my 101b. Not too many 101's with everything under the hood so I thought it would be cool to see that someone else in a different area of the country has a similar setup, white truck included.
It is a very cool pic, and for me it's neat to see those saws and in that condition too. Only ever seen a few of the old ads for the saws or photos of old broke down collectors and never maintained after their last cut

Lol[QUO="cpr, post: 5611887, member: 22480"]That was awesome sawfun, thanks for that. Mine hides some secrets. It's ported and has a BDC on a sloper intake with V4 reeds hidden under there.
View attachment 459910[/QUOTE]
Mine isn't ported but holds the same BDC with 4 petal reed block and sloper intake. However mine has a choke as well.
20151109_210211.jpg

That 460 will chip teeth from chatter before a husky rattles a filling loose...way smoother AV, although the new xx1 Stihls are coming along in that department.

I really like a 372 with a 24" bar and Stihl RS. Very well balanced and capable of taking large trees in the 3-4' range.
Hey there full chisel, so it's funny we had this conversation awhile back because this last weekend I went back to my hometown growing up and myself and my best buddies in high school went and cut firewood off about a 3' red fir. We had a Jred with 32" b/c, a ported 371 with 28" or 32", a stock 372 with same, and my ms460 that I changed from 36" round file Crap wood chain to 32" square, fresh off grinder. So I'm cutting with my stihl and hollered to a buddy if he wanted to run mine and traded over to his ported 371. Holy mother I had no idea how much vibe was really in my saw!!! Like I mentioned previously I'd never handled I bigger husky pro saw much less a ported one of any kind and I was amazed how smooth that 371 ran and not just in the handle bar, just in general a Damn good runnin powerful sawing device

On my husky 385xp I run a 32” bar, she spins the full chisel cut chain with ease. The 575xp with a 28” bar Full skip chisel handles it ok but I wouldn’t go any longer.

I just purchased a 36” bar and 42” bar for one of my 2100’s.

I run 7pin rims with longer bars. Otherwise I use 8 tooth rims on most saws. I did buy some 9 pin and 10 pin rims to try on the big power heads with shorter 18” / 16” bars. It’s a shame to waste all those cc/power with a short bar with a 8 pin rim. I may have to increase the bar oil flow.

Caution, using larger rims is for the experienced sawyers only do not try this if your new at it. Make sure you wear the proper protection gear, im a professional lol. Kidding.

My favorite practical "big" saws to run are my dad's 372xp(w?) with a 32 inch bar, standard saw shop chain, full wrap, and factory big dogs or my brothers Homelite 1020 Auto with a 32 inch roller nose, whatever chain was on it when he got it, and the factory big dogs. My favorite impractical one is my brothers ported, pop-up pistoned 281 with a 42 inch bar and skip chain. It'll almost dislocate your shoulder trying to start it.
Ps. The reason none of those are my saws is my only decent sized saw, my 048 ave, is in a hundred pieces in a box waiting for household chores to be finished so I can re-assemble it.

Back