Old Echo 302 replacement bar and chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWhiteLotus

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Howdy everyone! I was recently gifted an echo 302 chainsaw and dont know too much about it. Cleaned it up a bit and it fired right up to my surprise. I want to get a new bar/chain for it (preferably 12 or 14") but none of the echo dealers are able to find anything that fits properly. It currently has an Oregon 13" bar that says "18431 325-R406" on it.

Does anyone have any info on bar and chains that will fit the Echo 302? Thanks in advance

Howdy everyone! I was recently gifted an echo 302 chainsaw and dont know too much about it. Cleaned it up a bit and it fired right up to my surprise. I want to get a new bar/chain for it (preferably 12 or 14") but none of the echo dealers are able to find anything that fits properly. It currently has an Oregon 13" bar that says "18431 325-R406" on it.

Does anyone have any info on bar and chains that will fit the Echo 302? Thanks in advance

Bailey's bar selector shows several bars that claim they fit a CS-302. Oregon's product selector also shows several. Saw should run 3/8" LP chain. Make sure the chain and bar are the same gauge (either 0.050" or 0.043"). Also, make sure the drive sprocket matches. Attached are the Operators Manual and Parts Listing from Echo's website although neither seem to list anything for bars and chains.

Any idea why the Echo dealers couldn't match anything to it?

Attachments

• CS302 Operators manual.pdf
    726.7 KB · Views: 8
  • CS302 Parts.pdf
    312.4 KB · Views: 7
We tried a couple different echo bars and oregon bars and the issue seemed to be with how they align with the sprocket. Im not too savy in regards to chainsaws, as i only started learning about them when this saw was given to me, so my terminology might be a little bad.

Since it has a 13" bar they thought about making a chain and i was given this info. .050, 45 link pico chain, with pico style drive links

Found this on Oregon's site using their selector thingy. Its a 12" bar combo.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-07-17-09-36-56.png
    Screenshot_2019-07-17-09-36-56.png
    377.3 KB · Views: 9
A handful of things:
1. the CS-302 and CS-302S are not the same saw. the "S" model is about 3 cc's more engine.
2. When you say the bars didn't align with the sprocket, I'm not sure what that means exactly. The IPL I attached above shows some plates on either side of the bar. Are these still there? Could this be why the bar didn't align?
3. The 325 you noted in the bar # on the saw has me slightly concerned. Did someone configure for .325 chain (too much chain for the saw in my opinion) but make sure the new 3/8 LP chain fits to the sprocket.
4. I've got a CS-290 which is a bit smaller than either of the 302 models. I've always run a 14" bar (52 drivelinks) on it and been happy with it. Might consider moving up to 14". I wouldn't go any bigger.
5. The chain with this combo is a safety chain. Nothing wrong with that especially for a new owner but you will give up a little performance.
6. If you're completely new to saws, please a) get some PPE, b) try to get some training or c) if you have a knowledgeable friend ask for some help. Some of the saw manufacturers have some good videos out there. Youtube can help but there is some real BS on there. I've heard Buckin Billy Ray has some good stuff, haven't watched.

Good luck and enjoy a solid little saw. My 290 and 346 echo's still get a lot of use.
Sundance

Thanks for the reply! I have a couple buddies who are chainsaw guys, but they were unsure on the old echo 302 so they said to take it to an Echo dealer. They've been helping and instructing me along the way.

Im pretty certain its just the standard 302 model and not the S. I have the serial # if that helps at all also.

In regards to the bar align, i chose some poor wording. the dealer had some 12" bars they had in stock they attempted to put on it but they either sat too far forward or were back too close to the sprocket (thats what they said). Again, these were just ones they had in stock and not model #s given by oregons website. Ive included a picture of the stamp on the current bar, which is 13". Im fine with putting a 14" bar on there, as i will only be cutting a few logs that are maybe 6"...this saw wont be used too often, as im looking at getting a new echo or stihl for occasional use.

Silly question, is there a way to tell if the new 3/8" LP chain will fit to the sprocket before ordering? I just simply plugged in the info into oregon's website and it spit out the bar/chain combo i attached earlier

Thanks for the reply! I have a couple buddies who are chainsaw guys, but they were unsure on the old echo 302 so they said to take it to an Echo dealer. They've been helping and instructing me along the way.

Im pretty certain its just the standard 302 model and not the S. I have the serial # if that helps at all also.

In regards to the bar align, i chose some poor wording. the dealer had some 12" bars they had in stock they attempted to put on it but they either sat too far forward or were back too close to the sprocket (thats what they said). Again, these were just ones they had in stock and not model #s given by oregons website. Ive included a picture of the stamp on the current bar, which is 13". Im fine with putting a 14" bar on there, as i will only be cutting a few logs that are maybe 6"...this saw wont be used too often, as im looking at getting a new echo or stihl for occasional use.

Silly question, is there a way to tell if the new 3/8" LP chain will fit to the sprocket before ordering? I just simply plugged in the info into oregon's website and it spit out the bar/chain combo i attached earlier

Looking at your bar picture, I'm thinking its a .325 bar. Not certain as i don't use many Oregon bars but the way the 325 is broken out makes me think it may be.

If any of your buddies have a 3/8 LP chain it would be easy to wrap it around ~1.2 of the sprocket (like it would run) and see if it settles into the sprocket like it fits. Even a full 3/8 chain should come close. On the other hand if a buddies .325 chain looks like it likes the sprocket then that's probably the size. Depends on what your friends have available to toy with.

I don't know that the serial number takes us anywhere. Looks like the numbers overlap on the two saws.

By the way, the older manual calls for something like 20:1 gas/oil mix. With better/more modern oils it doesn't need to be that stout. 50:1 should work, a lot on here swear by 40:1 personally I run 45:1 mix in all my equipment. If you buy bottles of 50:1 mix and use less gas you richen it a bit. If you need help, ask.

Shame you're most of the way across the country, I could help you sort this out quickly with my collection of saws and parts.

Thanks for all the info...ill have to ask them about a 3/8". Might run by the local echo dealer and see if they can check it quick. Appreciate all the info! If you ever find yourself in Reno, beers on me!

Thanks for all the info...ill have to ask them about a 3/8". Might run by the local echo dealer and see if they can check it quick. Appreciate all the info! If you ever find yourself in Reno, beers on me!

Appreciate the offer boss. I haven't been near Reno since about 1978. I was working in northern Wyoming with a friend who was from Fallon. We drove out for Thanksgiving. Being young and stupid we had a straight through about 16 hour drive each way. Showed up direct to work Monday morning just a little tired!

I grew up out west (New Mexico, Colorado and Wyoming). Been in Pennsylvania too damn long but it's home now. I do miss the wide open spaces and lack of people. Only upside is good hardwood to cut!

Well that was a royal waste of time. Took it to the local echo dealer and they didnt seem to be helpful at all. I was hoping they could tell me if the 3/8" should work and he called Oregon and got the same info i already did but he was claiming my current bar has a 1/4"? Called oregon and they said the sprocket should be a 6 toothed sprocket and the 12" bar and chain combo should work just fine on it.....BUT they say theyve never heard of a 13" bar before even given the Oregon stamp on the bar.

Rad! Thanks....Sounds like it SHOULD work with this then

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-07-17-16-24-03.png
    Screenshot_2019-07-17-16-24-03.png
    353.2 KB · Views: 4
note the serial number reference for the CS-302. Appears some of the early ones had 1/4" chains. A sprocket change with a new bar and chain would address that if necessary.

Based on the serial number it should be after the transition to 3/8 LP.....but no telling what a prior owner (and a less than knowing echo dealer) may have ended up with. Also, measuring an actual bar vs. what the manufacturer calls it don't always match up. Oregon should be able to do a match with the numbers.

If it was mine, I'd put a new 3/8 LP sprocket (likely needs one anyhow) and a 14" 3/8 LP 0.050 bar and chain on it and call it good.

Sundance

I gave oregon the numbers stamped on the bar and they had no record of anything. I called and spoke with a person there. Talk about a wild goose chase

I gave oregon the numbers stamped on the bar and they had no record of anything. I called and spoke with a person there. Talk about a wild goose chase

If it was me......I'd do the new sprocket (so I was sure what it was and it's a wear piece), new 14"bar (3/8 LP x 0.050") and a chain to match (52 drivelink 3/8 LP x 0.050").At that point your saw should be good to go. Of course, a new spark plug, air filter and fuel filter wouldn't be a bad idea as well.

Latest posts

Back