009L vintage stihl worth the rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hambone

Ain’t she pittyful
Reaction score
Hello all, as some of you have seen I’ve got another thread questioning my first big saw. Well, now here’s the other end of the spectrum. I currently have a good condition 009L. I’m seriously considering getting this baby rebuilt or giving it to my future father in law. He already has one and absolutely loves it. He’s wanting mine as a parts saw. It runs pretty good when it’ll start and stay running. I like it’s size and handiness. If it goes to him I’ll probably look into a new version top handle.

What do you all think?

Attachments

• 9791A038-7864-45CF-B642-B43D5F313C48.jpeg
    9791A038-7864-45CF-B642-B43D5F313C48.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
I'd just do basic maintenance on it if it already runs. Plug, air filter, fuel filter/fuel line (if necessary), probably a carb kit, check muffler for carbon clogging and take a look at the piston while the muffler is off..., doing the latter first just to make sure there's no scoring and the rest is actually worthwhile. Good idea to check the drive sprocket for excessive wear while you're at it. Good little saws. Common issue with those style Stihls is the tank vent hose disintegrating causing fuel to leak and the tank to not vent properly.

So far I’ve done everything you’ve advised minus the fuel lines and the carb clean up. I’ll get those done and get an AV top handle. This sucker feels like a Harley after a long day.

If you split the saw, the rod big end roller bearings will have you inventing new profanities. Especially if you have larger hands. Grease is your friend..

Carb kit, fuel lines and filters, tune and enjoy giving a thought full gift.

get a 200, its all good :)

Is the 193T close to the 200? It’s very close to my 009L in power but about 1.5 lbs lighter. It’ll only be used for limbing once the tree is on the ground or clearing limbs for deer stands.

Is the 193T close to the 200? It’s very close to my 009L in power but about 1.5 lbs lighter. It’ll only be used for limbing once the tree is on the ground or clearing limbs for deer stands.
Yes keep 009l. If you can't do the work. I got one .

Yes keep 009l. If you can't do the work. I got one .

Thanks for the advice but it’s already been moved to my future father in law. I will be getting a 193t or c in the near future. I’ve also been eyeballing the 180 mini boss. I used to have one but I gave it to my father after his major back surgery. What can I say, I’m a softy for old guys.

Latest posts

Back