engine dies as you give it gas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluejean

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Craftsman 55cc chainsaw used only a few times. The model is 316.350220 and it has a walbro carb wt769a. It will start in choke and dies once you give it gas. Even after it warms up dies as you give it gas and will not idle out of choke. I replaced the fuel lines. HELP!

Try a little seafoam in the fuel to clean the carb, sounds like it needs to be disassembled and cleaned.
If you let the gas sit in it too long and it wasn't treated it gets mucked up.
Walbro K20-WAT kit should work and walbro offers plenty of videos and diagrams to help you.

Start simple. Blow out the fuel filter or replace. The other day I had a similar problem and the fuel filter and opening the low speed jet (just a bit) completely fixed the problem.

Is the screen inside the carb plugged up?? If it is, it could give you the symptoms you describe as it requires the extra suction to pull gas into the carb.

Have you cleaned the spark arrestor?

The last time I had this happen there was a crack in the fuel lines. I am not saying that is what it is, just talking out loud.

I rebuilt the carb. I didn't remove the brass and metal welsh plugs, because spraying carb cleaner threw the circuits sprayed out like they should. Put it all back together and does the same thing.

I rebuilt the carb. I didn't remove the brass and metal welsh plugs, because spraying carb cleaner threw the circuits sprayed out like they should. Put it all back together and does the same thing.
Just because you rebuilt it dont guarantee it works. Did you pull the muffler to look at the piston for scoring yet? If the piston looks good and the fuel line was replaced maybe buy another carb.

All the above, except seafoam (just loosens all junk that should be cleaned), very few fixes come in a can that will last. An obstructed muffler will blow fuel back through carb. Fuel line crack, pinched line, tight connections at carb, impulse pathway or line good and also tight connection? Vent clear? Like said above rule out simple things first.

Not to start a pissing contest about the virtues of fuel systems cleaning but the initial complaint was that the machine sat for a while, so if the individual didn't preform a proper long term storage ie drain tank and run carb dry it has mix that has separated and oil now gummed up the carb.
No one believed by adding seafoam that it would "fix" worn or damaged parts, but it will loosen and clean the carbs old mix.
It will also aid in carbon build up on piston and rings. A clogged muffler or arrestor needs to be cleared.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I pulled the muffler and screen isn't clogged the piston isn't scored. The saw has only was use two or three times, but sat for six years. The carb looked really cleaned. I'm debating weather I should remove the welsh plugs. A new carb is obsolete, and no after market replacements.

I pulled the muffler and screen isn't clogged the piston isn't scored. The saw has only was use two or three times, but sat for six years. The carb looked really cleaned. I'm debating weather I should remove the welsh plugs. A new carb is obsolete, and no after market replacements.
Dont pull them unless you are skilled at it.

You will have to pull them if you want to do a proper cleaning. Usually you can find just the plug, screen and check as a separate pack. I would also test the check to make sure it’s working correctly it’s usually right beside the Welch plug.

There’s step by step instructions on you tube by donyboy on rebuilding carbs. Seeing visually works better for me too.

At 68 yo besides arthritis I have brain fade.

Back