461 vs 462

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I
A 505 Poulan is an 84cc Partner designed saw made in Sweden. As light as an 064 with more power & speed. Spring A/V and better 32" balance than a 064 or 066. It was made in the 90's. The Jonny 930 87cc (same late 80's era as the 064) I had was way, way stronger than my 064, but weighed like a tank being all metal.
I Spose so I'd have to see that to believe it

Time will tell. I know certain model m tronic have had there fair share of issues. 462 362 441 661 to be exact yet 261 and 241 hardly had any m tronic issue why some models do and some don't is beyond me.

Time will tell. I know certain model m tronic have had there fair share of issues. 462 362 441 661 to be exact yet 261 and 241 hardly had any m tronic issue why some models do and some don't is beyond me.

I had a 241 that went through solenoids like crazy. And it had a ton of carb problems. I didn't keep it long, I also had a few that were pretty consistent and trouble free for the most part.

They all do.

Uh... M-Tronic saws have been around for ten years now. I haven’t had problems with 441s or 661s. Time has proven them out, and they work well.

@SAWMIKAZE At 84 drivers, I would expect any saw with this displacement to do fine. The 462 is not a good long bar saw. The saws that preceded it are. At this displacement I’m usually running 91-105 drivers. They do okay with the 91, but are worthless with the 105.

I like to say that Stihl made a superior case design for 044 hybrids. It’s wider and has bigger tanks. Also a much bigger stronger crank. They called it an 046 case.

For pro work, I’d say 046/460 over 044 hybrid. The bigger case capacity gives it a broader torque curve.

Hybrids are plainly sportier. The tune much higher. In fact, they are the only saw I’ve ever built that keeps getting faster and faster the more I lean the tune. Most saws sound faster leaned out, but they cut in the same time through a log at a fatter/safer tune. Hybrids do not because of the Case capacity. The more you lean them out, the faster they go (to a point). One I did, after breakin, is tuned cold at 15300, comes out of wood at around 15800 after long cuts, and is perfectly safe and fat there.

Here’s a run I did with 272 pistons and a vid. In vid, saw still new. Highest rpm was 15k cold in last cut, the fastest cut. Saw has 1 full tank through it only.

View attachment 747696 View attachment 747697 View attachment 747698 View attachment 747699 View attachment 747700

Exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Uh... M-Tronic saws have been around for ten years now. I haven’t had problems with 441s or 661s. Time has proven them out, and they work well.

@SAWMIKAZE At 84 drivers, I would expect any saw with this displacement to do fine. The 462 is not a good long bar saw. The saws that preceded it are. At this displacement I’m usually running 91-105 drivers. They do okay with the 91, but are worthless with the 105.
Do you ou not think I know this all ready I just recently worked on a 661 that wouldn't start hot it took 2 guys to start the Damn thing hot.i ended up replacing the the fuel solenoid as well as the ignition module before it was fixed correctly. Wound up costing me 300 in parts alone. I think id much rather rebuold a carb for 10 bucks then a 120 dollar fuel solenoid. Fyi it's had about 3 updates so they know they have been a problem and had to change the fuel filter to the new orange one. This is also reason no one will buy a 441c because it was plagued with so many issues

I bought three 441Cs last year. I don’t know what you guys do that’s so hard on equipment. I don’t baby my stuff, but god damn I can take about any decent pro saw out to the woods and work. Some of you guys need to get off the high horse and stop being a bunch of luddite prudes who refuse to accept that technology is moving forward.

The 441C didn’t sell well not because of M-Tronic or it being a bad machine. It didn’t sell well because for the same weight you could buy a 460 or 461 its entire production run, and a ton of Stihl dealers capitalized on the fact that people were afraid of M-Tronic or they wanted to use it as a dong extension, like most of the guys on the chainsaw board do with their big pro saw, and they wanted the most power at a given weight regardless of the fact that the 460 would rattle your fillings out.

I bought three 441Cs last year. I don’t know what you guys do that’s so hard on equipment. I don’t baby my stuff, but god damn I can take about any decent pro saw out to the woods and work. Some of you guys need to get off the high horse and stop being a bunch of luddite prudes who refuse to accept that technology is moving forward.

The 441C didn’t sell well not because of M-Tronic or it being a bad machine. It didn’t sell well because for the same weight you could buy a 460 or 461 its entire production run, and a ton of Stihl dealers capitalized on the fact that people were afraid of M-Tronic or they wanted to use it as a dong extension, like most of the guys on the chainsaw board do with their big pro saw, and they wanted the most power at a given weight regardless of the fact that the 460 would rattle your fillings out.

Honey vs vinegar, being an ass to other people will get you no where. Especially if you’re trying to make a point to an individual. That’s not a saw game, that’s a life game. Good luck and god bless

Do you ou not think I know this all ready I just recently worked on a 661 that wouldn't start hot it took 2 guys to start the Damn thing hot.i ended up replacing the the fuel solenoid as well as the ignition module before it was fixed correctly. Wound up costing me 300 in parts alone. I think id much rather rebuold a carb for 10 bucks then a 120 dollar fuel solenoid. Fyi it's had about 3 updates so they know they have been a problem and had to change the fuel filter to the new orange one. This is also reason no one will buy a 441c because it was plagued with so many issues

You can get a white solenoid update kit with a fuel filter for about 50 bucks give or take a few dollars.

Honey vs vinegar, being an ass to other people will get you no where. Especially if you’re trying to make a point to an individual. That’s not a saw game, that’s a life game. Good luck and god bless
No, he has an opinion about saws he has used. You wanted opinions and you got it, his opinion. Just because it's his honest, non-sugar coated one, does not mean it's wrong and warrants name calling.

No, he has an opinion about saws he has used. You wanted opinions and you got it, his opinion. Just because it's his honest, non-sugar coated one, does not mean it's wrong and warrants name calling.

I agree, but calling everyone a luddite prude because they won’t agree with him isn’t warranted either. Was calling him an ass called for? Probably not. I was simply calling him out as you have me. I wasn’t warranted that treatment from him when I asked for advice as well.

So yes I agree with you. Both sides of the party should be cordial with one another.

500i is definitely a sweet saw, but little out of my budget for right now. I do however, have a 461 on hold at a local saw shop right now though. Doesn't sound like most are in favor of them, but I want a brand new saw not used, and I want a carb that I can still adjust, so I guess a 461 fits the bill.

500i is definitely a sweet saw, but little out of my budget for right now. I do however, have a 461 on hold at a local saw shop right now though. Doesn't sound like most are in favor of them, but I want a brand new saw not used, and I want a carb that I can still adjust, so I guess a 461 fits the bill.
Im in favor of the 461!

Latest posts

Back