Reconditioning a decomp valve

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent Nowell

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
decomp on my 372 was passing quite a bit, black oil all over.

Took it out and cleaned it really good with carb cleaner and it’s still passing when I blow on it.

Put it in the vice, took a punch and hit it with a hammer on the face side of the decomp. My idea was to re surface the faces that make the seal.
It appeared to work very well.

Make sure it’s perfectly clean before you do it

Uhhhh that can happen? Are these two piece??? You make a valid point, it hasn’t been started yet so you might be saving my bacon here

Does it still hold if you rotate the knob? There's nothing to prevent it from turning.

Does it still hold if you rotate the knob? There's nothing to prevent it from turning.
Yes it holds now regardless of turning, but yea if it’s a two piece design I’m def going to just plug it... may not be able to get a plug by the weekend, hopefully they don’t cost 40$!!

Gonna do some searching on these falling in engines, and yes it is an xtorq so the sucker is on the top

The AM ones have a bad rep for falling in, the plastic button goes soft from engine heat and the shaft lets go right into the cylinder.

I see, so the plastic button is what retains the shaft..

In the meantime I’m gonna see what I can do about that, other than that I have already ordered some from amazon

I bought a dozen one night for about $3. but it took near a month for them to get here with the free shipping option, wasn`t in a hurry so no problem. Each plug came with its copper crush washer, much cheaper than my Stihl dealer could do for me even though he is a great guy it sure sucks now that he had to move on, next dealer is much further away other side of the city.

Latest posts

Back