Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you can take down a squirrel at 100 yards with a supper calibri with open sights then get back to me. I've done 3 times.:rock2:
50 years ago, such shots where a given, now I cant even see the squirrel at 100yards, much less hit it.:omg:

When I was younger we used to set wooden matches in the cracks on top of fence posts and see how far away we could shoot down the line. You had to shoot 2 matches in a row on each post before you could move to the next post and set. I think I was about 50' max. Freehand too.

Those are my cheap ones. My 338 has a $1,500 Mark IV on it that I bought used for $1,000.
Sounds like a lot of fun.
I'm just plinking in the back yard and taking out varmints as needed.
I find keeping the population down saves me a lot of cash as they have a way of do a lot of damage :rare2:.
Just put new head gaskets on the mower engine tonight and I found this on the coil wire, looks like someone was in there having a little snack. I had to acrounge up some electrical tape and fix it up as best as I could, it looked just fine when I was done, but that would have been fun to find under all the covers which you basically need to pull the engine to get to :baba:.
20190718_200703.jpg

Cleaned up my mess. Now spose I have to seed in some grass this fall. Just what everyone needs more lawn to cut.

I want to go down the line and cut out all the box elders leaning into yard. But that's more than I want to tackle right now. Rather wait for frost on those.
The stuff creeping into the yard is a lifetime of work. The good thing is they are usually leaning at least part of the way you want them to go lol.

Cleaned up my mess. Now spose I have to seed in some grass this fall. Just what everyone needs more lawn to cut.

I want to go down the line and cut out all the box elders leaning into yard. But that's more than I want to tackle right now. Rather wait for frost on those.

Every year my woods magically gets bigger and my lawn gets smaller[emoji23]

Iv taken about 1/4 acre off my yard in 4 years.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Grandfather bought me a Benjamin 22cal pump air rifle when I was a wee lad that has taken too many chipmunks and red squirrels to count. Even shot a mouse off our computer monitor once. Quiet, powerful, cheap and deadly.
Yeah, but what type of scope does it have on it :laugh:.
Hope all's well buddy.

All is good here, hope you and your family are. Thanks. No, scope on good old Mr. Benjamin :yes: . Have Nikon BDC's 223&308 and two Weavers. Hope your mower engine build went well.
Doing well here thanks.
Those sound real nice, I could use one for my 223, maybe I should trade off that little husky 42 for a scope for my 17 and put that one on the 243 :).
Its going thanks. Long block is assembled with all the covers, just need to figure out the order I removed the throttle linkage and governor as it was quite the process to remove it, to be honest I dont remember the first thing about how I removed it :oops:, but I've managed just fine in the past :yes:.

Sounds like a lot of fun.
I'm just plinking in the back yard and taking out varmints as needed.
I find keeping the population down saves me a lot of cash as they have a way of do a lot of damage :rare2:.
Just put new head gaskets on the mower engine tonight and I found this on the coil wire, looks like someone was in there having a little snack. I had to acrounge up some electrical tape and fix it up as best as I could, it looked just fine when I was done, but that would have been fun to find under all the covers which you basically need to pull the engine to get to :baba:.
View attachment 748042
I had to replace an entire coil on mine once. The wire itself isnt replacable and mice chewed thru it

I had to replace an entire coil on mine once. The wire itself isnt replacable and mice chewed thru it
Wow, that stinks.
It seems less and less of the products today are serviceable, buy the whole assembly and replace it, it can add a lot to the cost on the consumers end.

Anyone else got humidity :baba:.
You've heard of the weather rock,
View attachment 748119
We have the weather windows, they say it's humid.
View attachment 748120
Same here. Our boxer can't keep his tongue in, or mouth closed. That boy is heat, humidity sensitive just like me. If people like seeing military action, swing by Grayling, it will be in full on action according to range report and local new. C130's, A10 warthogs, helicopters, tanks,artillery, 500 pound bombs, always loud at friends farm. Lot of machine gun and artillery at little Iraq.

Same here. Our boxer can't keep his tongue in, or mouth closed. That boy is heat, humidity sensitive just like me. If people like seeing military action, swing by Grayling, it will be in full on action according to range report and local new. C130's, A10 warthogs, helicopters, tanks,artillery, 500 pound bombs, always loud at friends farm. Lot of machine gun and artillery at little Iraq.
When is that happening, sounds like a good time. Brrrrrrrap

50 years ago, such shots where a given, now I cant even see the squirrel at 100yards, much less hit it.:omg:

They were luck shots both because the iron sights cover up the target at that distance and calibri's are very slow weak rounds at 550fos. At that distance I had to lob them in and cross my fingers. Even a head shot leaves them flopping around a bit. Not like a .22 high velocity round that makes a clean kill. I have one with iron sights and one with a scope. I use the iron sights in the winter when the leaves are down and I can see good. In the summer I switch to a scope so I can see better with all the leaves on the trees. I have a pellet gun but it's as loud as a .22 The calibri's are so quiet all you hear is the click of the hammer and the thud of the round hitting the target.

Stuff you did not know (?)

Philbert

Could be used for firewood too;).
That’s interesting, I didn’t know most of it.

The 2511 got some run time today 945B7977-BAD8-479A-A454-0398264E31BC.jpegtop ended up a little closer to the shed than I wanted but it missed ;). 2511 is a great climbing saw, think I need to richen it up a bit though, it’s the hardest saw to tune I’ve had. Nice and light though.0955810A-030C-475C-9F3F-600D96C609A1.jpeg1CA59D87-2A7F-4309-B1BC-B19C28FBF72A.jpeg The 550 and 562 got to play for bit too59BEB512-F726-4CDF-A7B0-AA568EBE2F0A.jpegForgot how much easier green trees are too cut, I thought wow that chain is sharp! Lol.

Attachments

• 7BD16A6B-1EF1-493D-B8C9-40DD7FFB79AF.jpeg
    7BD16A6B-1EF1-493D-B8C9-40DD7FFB79AF.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back