New guy with an Echo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jraymer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, name is Justin, just a typical mechanic looking to tinker with junk. I found this forum looking for info on this little Echo CS302S I picked up at an auction. Bought the saw for $6 site unseen. Fixed the missing fuel pick up with one modified from a Stihl for another 6$. Then went through the carb and got it running pretty sweet. Here are some pics. It is missing quite a few parts to make it operational; bar/chain, guide plates, clutch cover, chain catcher, bump spike?, air filter, grommet. Does anyone have a bead on any of these things before I go on Ereplacement and buy them?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• 86A61E33-408C-4051-9D3E-A9D44840F92C.jpeg
    86A61E33-408C-4051-9D3E-A9D44840F92C.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 51
  • B72FFB2C-A1DD-4EC9-90D6-B0F9475B69B6.jpeg
    B72FFB2C-A1DD-4EC9-90D6-B0F9475B69B6.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 44
Yea I was quite surprised when I won the auction at that price. I have been looking at eBay and there is a lot of parts in there, but some of the prices aren’t much different than Ereplacement. I want to keep it cheap but my cart on Ereplacement is like in the 60-70$ range not including a bar and chain. Kinda kills the cheapness of the 6$ buy price lol.

Exactly. I want it to function but don’t want to be in over my head on $$$. The bar/chain and that clutch cover are the pricy items. Hopefully some will come up used somewhere.

Yea I don’t plan on selling this and don’t plan on “flipping” saws. It’s fun and a cheaper hobby than cars/trucks/stuff.
Found this bar/chain combo on eBay. Thoughts? You guys in here know more about all this stuff than I so your input is much appreciated.
https://www.ebay.com/p/CARLTON-14-B...MIoL3uy8LB4wIVjobACh0TUgnREAQYBCABEgIXqvD_BwE

Personally I prefer 0.050 gauge to 0.043, other than that it looks like it should work for you. I use a good bit of Carlton chain and its been good. Have no idea on their bars. Basically $30 shipped which will be hard to beat.

Also found this on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Oregon-27857...oregon+105700&qid=1563559732&s=gateway&sr=8-3
Through Oregon I am seeing a #27857 or #105700. Descriptions look the same but I can’t imagine they are.
I’m worried about the play of the bar on the studs and adjuster or is that usually not an issue? Since I have no old bar or knowledge to go off of haha.

If you're concerned, call Oregon. Their selector comes up with 105700 for me. I can't really spot a difference in the descriptions.

if it was me, I'd probably go with a 14" bar on that small a saw. having said that, I run a 16" on a CS-346 which is only slightly bigger and it does well.

Yea maybe I will have to give them a ring. Well I did pull the trigger on Ereplacement and bought the side plates for the bar, some hardware, oil line, and an air filter. So now I should just need the bar/ chain and the sprocket cover which I hope I can find a used orange one, the new ones are all black. Did these saws come with a buck spike? Looks like it has provisions for one.

Yea maybe I will have to give them a ring. Well I did pull the trigger on Ereplacement and bought the side plates for the bar, some hardware, oil line, and an air filter. So now I should just need the bar/ chain and the sprocket cover which I hope I can find a used orange one, the new ones are all black. Did these saws come with a buck spike? Looks like it has provisions for one.

Can't help you on the buck spike.....I've never actually seen a Cs-302S. If you can get into the final saw for under a C note,I think you've done well. My CS-290 is still going 35 years later, the CS-346 is probably 20+ years old. Both are still in use. I don't use them hard (3-4 cords a year with half a dozen saws) but they're my go to's for smaller stuff.

Can't help you on the buck spike.....I've never actually seen a Cs-302S. If you can get into the final saw for under a C note,I think you've done well. My CS-290 is still going 35 years later, the CS-346 is probably 20+ years old. Both are still in use. I don't use them hard (3-4 cords a year with half a dozen saws) but they're my go to's for smaller stuff.

Glad to hear your Echos are still running great. Price wise I’m around 50$ into it. Bar combo will cost me about 30-35 and the sprocket cover around 25$ unless I find a cheaper used one. So that would put me right around the $100 mark for sure. My $6 saw got to $100 pretty fast lol.

Glad to hear your Echos are still running great. Price wise I’m around 50$ into it. Bar combo will cost me about 30-35 and the sprocket cover around 25$ unless I find a cheaper used one. So that would put me right around the $100 mark for sure. My $6 saw got to $100 pretty fast lol.

I'm going to assume that when you won it for $6 you knew it wasn't complete? I still say that a solid saw like that for $100 is a bargain. Depending on use it should be with you for years. Needs enough use to stay frisky, not enough to kill it.

Oh yea I knew from the photos it needed some love. I feel like I got lucky, I could have gotten it home and found a scored piston and in that case I would have parted it. It’s just the little nickel dime stuff adds up. I imagine it’s hit or miss buying used bars and chains. I wish I would have bought more, there were probably half dozen more saws that went for this price.

So far I set the carb adjust screws to what I found in the manual, is that a good starting point? Seems to run really well but I don’t want to blow it up.

Oh yea I knew from the photos it needed some love. I feel like I got lucky, I could have gotten it home and found a scored piston and in that case I would have parted it. It’s just the little nickel dime stuff adds up. I imagine it’s hit or miss buying used bars and chains. I wish I would have bought more, there were probably half dozen more saws that went for this price.

So far I set the carb adjust screws to what I found in the manual, is that a good starting point? Seems to run really well but I don’t want to blow it up.

I was hoping someone who is perhaps more knowledgeable would speak up...The manual setting is an excellent starting point. There are a number of threads on adjusting carbs. Can't say I'm very good at it. I usually start with factory settings and adjust with a tach. I don't have the ear for all the 4 stroking out of the cut setups, etc.

I was hoping someone who is perhaps more knowledgeable would speak up...The manual setting is an excellent starting point. There are a number of threads on adjusting carbs. Can't say I'm very good at it. I usually start with factory settings and adjust with a tach. I don't have the ear for all the 4 stroking out of the cut setups, etc.
When I first started tuning saws in the cut I had problems picking up the 4 stroking sound. Someone on here said to let someone else make the cut and stand back from the saw. This maid it easier for me to hear and now I can pick it up on most saws while running them myself. May be worth a try.

So I got more parts the other day. Got the Oiler set up and working, the line in the tank had melted and turner to goo. Does anyone know if I am missing parts here? Parts diagram says there should be a washer between the clutch and sprocket? As well as another washer, then the nut. All I have is what’s in the pics. Also does this guide plate look correct? If so does the pile just ooze around it to the chain/bar? Or am I doing something wrong

Attachments

• 5189EF2E-B899-41B1-8676-B2F29EBF4190.jpeg
    5189EF2E-B899-41B1-8676-B2F29EBF4190.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • 3D2BA9ED-99CC-4C5B-9AB2-28B8031E3B04.jpeg
    3D2BA9ED-99CC-4C5B-9AB2-28B8031E3B04.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • 66D2C874-80D0-481D-81B9-DC075E5563CB.jpeg
    66D2C874-80D0-481D-81B9-DC075E5563CB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • E0B550DE-8BD6-458B-B5F4-A9E604172E56.jpeg
    E0B550DE-8BD6-458B-B5F4-A9E604172E56.jpeg