DR brush mower

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One came in a few weeks ago.

I thought it'd be handy, but truthfully, if a tractor or zero turn can't get in there, likely that won't either.

The one that came in had regular style 3 blade mower deck. Did have taller clearance than a regular mower, but it'd still cause damage if a rock, stump, etc was hit with the blades.
Do they make one that has swing away blades like a bush hog?

I found one called the Brush Beadt that is supposed to have swing away blades. The issue with it is it has hydrostatic drive so lots of weight. Folks with them say once they are stuck, they are a bear to get out.
I thought I read where they recommend using them on dry form ground.

This thread got me to looking for a Dr with locking differential and pressurized oil system. I think for the type of woodlot I have, it would be quicker than the the hand held and would go just about anywhere I need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was able to get this dr brush mower today. I traded for some labor and firewood....so it has some relevance in this sub-forum I guess. ;)

It has sat due to dead battery, leading to pulling the rope out....so it shouldn't be a problem getting it running, B&S 10.5 hp on it.

Parts seem available but wondering if this thing will just be a money pit or a fun project this winter (might clean it up real good and paint it).

Anyone have any experience with DR or other walk behind brush mower's ? I have a bank that is too steep to ride anything on and I dread keeping it knocked down with my weedeater (although I have been eyeing a stihl fs240 with handlebars).

View attachment 746999

1. The blade clutch is $300 after shipping and tax.....to NC.
2. The skids wear out and aren't replaceable. You will have to fabricate or buy a new deck.
3. The diff lock is awesome, but some how mine broke. It will still work as an open diff though.
4. There is an upgrade/recall?.....after I got mine from an older gentleman that I helped, I called DR, had my name put that particular machine, they sent a handle/operator presence control lever and associated gear.
5. The heavy duty blade is nice.

Mine is a 26" cut with a Kawasaki v twin. It will pummel things into absolute submission.

Shea

1. The blade clutch is $300 after shipping and tax.....to NC.
2. The skids wear out and aren't replaceable. You will have to fabricate or buy a new deck.
3. The diff lock is awesome, but some how mine broke. It will still work as an open diff though.
4. There is an upgrade/recall?.....after I got mine from an older gentleman that I helped, I called DR, had my name put that particular machine, they sent a handle/operator presence control lever and associated gear.
5. The heavy duty blade is nice.

Mine is a 26" cut with a Kawasaki v twin. It will pummel things into absolute submission.

Shea
Great info, thanks

Although I didn’t get as good a deal as you did I got this one the other day.
Contrary to what others have said, the brush mower will get into tight places the tractor won’t. Probably not so much with the lawn mower deck because it is wider than the brush cutter attachment.
Tried it out on some thick woody brush and it didn’t slow a bit mowing it down.
Differential lock or steering brake options are a must for anything but smooth flat ground.
My biggest issue is at 6’4”, I wish the handles were a bit taller.
Lots of head high or higher thick blackberry vines here and will admit a handheld with a good blade is the best way to attack them first as the brush head just burrows in from the bottom and doesn’t knock them down.
I did try it on Alder saplings and it works as advertised.
Hopefully yours is running soon and you can put it to work.
f9cbc8b252e383aed7d3a3864fbe7365.jpg
89f92da5797fe9ced4c7b1cdcff9176f.jpg
56892488f45076aeff92ee1af400ef47.jpg
34f4d20b450b269693587eff40bff54c.jpg
9b5ed1729184ee7d0d73841695a664d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back