Best Way to Get Rid of Thick Poison Ivy Vine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cold water to close your pores. Then I use dish detergent several times, then a tempid water rinse. Don't open your pores.

My grandmother used to wipe the effected areas with kerosene before soap washing. She raised 13 children on a farm.

Not so bad as friends, some who used the leaves to wipe themselves.

I learned at about PI as a 7 YO. Crawling up to a stream to sneak up on native brook trout. Wearing shorts and T-shirt. It was a miserable summer vacation thereon.

I learned to identify it, and carry some soap/detergent with me in the woods. Animals/dogs/cats can also spread the PI love to you.
First day I learned I was cutting Cherry trees all day in the heat by myself ,couldn't get any help they hid from work, and I kept wiping my face and eyes with hands all day in the high heat and humidity! Do I need to tell you the next day an Ivy rash was all over me, my face and 2 closed puffy eyes! I learned fast and always always look and act accordingly.

I hear you. Really high heat/exercise opens all your pores and the stuff just seeps into your skin.

I carry soap or detergent in all cars/trucks, w/fishing gear, camping/backpacking equip. Besides pathogens it gets rid of poisons too. You don't to carry much, 1/4 bar of soap or a vial of detergent.

Years ago, I went on a weekend canoe trip with a bunch of kids from high school. The river was infested with PI on the banks. I warned them all. I stopped at a riverbank home and asked to borrow some soap; I got laughed at by classmates. Next Monday in school, I was the one laughing. They looked like they caught the Pox.

Never had poison ivy, thought I was immune... until about 15 years ago. Pulling weeds, I knew there was pi, but wasn't worried about it, had on long sleeves and gloves - thank god!- next day my wrists were all broken out with it. Most horrible itch ever! :mad: That's when I gave in and bought chemicals.
I don't touch the stuff any more, if I can help it.

Never had poison ivy, thought I was immune... until about 15 years ago. Pulling weeds, I knew there was pi, but wasn't worried about it, had on long sleeves and gloves - thank god!- next day my wrists were all broken out with it. Most horrible itch ever! :mad: That's when I gave in and bought chemicals.

Most people are not sensitized at first. They get exposed then next time look out!

I worked on a farm, one hillside covered with ivy. We put goats to pasture there and they ate it. For a while we moved the goats and had to clean the rocky hillside. A dull bulb volluentered to "weed wack" it. "Idon't get that"

Well he got a few spots, then tried it again. The next time he was covered head to toe, ass, and balls too..........

Don't play with ivy if you think it don't effect you

I hear you. Really high heat/exercise opens all your pores and the stuff just seeps into your skin.

I carry soap or detergent in all cars/trucks, w/fishing gear, camping/backpacking equip. Besides pathogens it gets rid of poisons too. You don't to carry much, 1/4 bar of soap or a vial of detergent.

Years ago, I went on a weekend canoe trip with a bunch of kids from high school. The river was infested with PI on the banks. I warned them all. I stopped at a riverbank home and asked to borrow some soap; I got laughed at by classmates. Next Monday in school, I was the one laughing. They looked like they caught the Pox.
Then you have the fools that swear up and down they don't get it! I know most of them will if they get a good dose very few people can get away with nothing. I have one friend that climbs trees with PI on them and he only gets a few dots! When i am anywhere around it I wash a bunch of times with cold water and soap then when i get home again. I end up with only a few dots this way as opposed to a nightmare of itching that lasts a month!

Imagine without the gloves and sleeves?

When I moved here, I knew little about poison ivy, so I studied up on it. I read that any woody vine with little hairy roots was poison ivy. The vine I referred to when starting this thread was just such a vine.

Today I followed the vine until I found leaves, and it turned out to be Virginia creeper.

Unfortunately for me, I had already offered to cut some of my neighbor's poison ivy vines while I was at it, and his were the real thing. I wore nitrile gloves and scrubbed the sawzall with dishwashing liquid and a brush.

When I moved here, I knew little about poison ivy, so I studied up on it. I read that any woody vine with little hairy roots was poison ivy. The vine I referred to when starting this thread was just such a vine.

Today I followed the vine until I found leaves, and it turned out to be Virginia creeper.

Unfortunately for me, I had already offered to cut some of my neighbor's poison ivy vines while I was at it, and his were the real thing. I wore nitrile gloves and scrubbed the sawzall with dishwashing liquid and a brush.
I hope you dont get it .

I was wondering if what you had wasn't Virginia creeper and not poison ivy since the creeper I've seen as a very thick vine, not so much the poison ivy.

I get PI bad. I say I can get it just from looking at it.

Technu works great for getting the oils off your skin. Time is of the essence. The sooner you can get the oils off the less likely it will cause a reaction. The only problem is the cost. I find Gojo waterless hand cleaner or similar non pumice greasy hand cleaner works just as well. I like it because you can scrub down with it in the woods and wipe off with a towel.

I have it now, usually leads to Clorox. Need to burn some gloves too.

My trophy ivy story.
200 year old white oak would leaf out ivy in crown with no visible vine on trunk.
When I took it down there was a vine under the bark 6 or 7 inches wide and 3/4 thick.
I've also seen Tarzan size vines.
We have other vine parasites here, glad no p oak.

I use an axe and a potato rake sometimes to remove.

have any of you guys tried the product 'Crossbow' on poison ivy? I picked some up on the recommendation of a friend, thinking I'd need to use a bunch of it to wipe out the infestation on my 1.2 acre suburban wooded lot. In 5 years now, I've used about 6 ounces of it, and it hasn't really come back.

I am barely succeptible.
I can wallow in it and not get it.

Other day my gaffs came out and I slid down a tree with poison ivy and the abrasions from the poison Ivy cutting my forearms itched like crazy.

Every spring when I go back into the woods I get the start of it. The rest of the year I rip it off by hand with no issue. Something about not being exposed to it for a cpuple months makes me more sensitive.

If there is a round up for poison ivy I would use that

For anyone who wants to be able to kill Poison Ivy with an herbicide, I suggest that you investigate an herbicide with Triclopyr as the active ingredient. Triclopyr is more selective than glyphosate, and slower acting so it can get into the roots of woody plants before killing the top of the plant. Example products: Ortho Brush-B-Gon (Poison Ivy Killer), Garlon 4, etc. Tractor Supply is selling a product called "Brushtox" this year.

Of course, you need to be careful, as with any other herbicide, to ensure that you don't harm the wrong plants or poison the environment.

I been trying to give away poison ivy vines for years now and still havnt found any takers
cutting with axe works best for me, saws spread chips about that make me itchy an scratchy

Back