I guess im spending all winter building ms200ts, I w

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinman204

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So my buddy has decided to clear his shop of projects as hes retired now and is winding down his saw repair side gig.

So he offered me the crap under his bench. There was 2 bins containing 8 ms200ts that all need repair.

tXcZQ6L.jpg
ng5uGTo.jpg

They came from a tree service, theres 4 that need a carb kit and anti vibe mounts, recoils rewound and a good cleaning.

The other 4 I have no clue, only 1 looks like the piston is wiped out of all of them.

Came with 1 bar and he said he has like 50 chains for them at home.

He also through in what I think is a 201t cm?? Its a newer saw with m-tronic, think the crank bearings are no good. May be an interesting project..

Anyhow the price was stupid low so I SUCK for sure!!

I've never run a 200t so this should be fun. I know they are well liked amongst arborists.

Good to have friends!

I need a few winter projects so these should keep me busy!!

So my buddy has decided to clear his shop of projects as hes retired now and is winding down his saw repair side gig.

So he offered me the crap under his bench. There was 2 bins containing 8 ms200ts that all need repair.

tXcZQ6L.jpg
ng5uGTo.jpg

They came from a tree service, theres 4 that need a carb kit and anti vibe mounts, recoils rewound and a good cleaning.

The other 4 I have no clue, only 1 looks like the piston is wiped out of all of them.

Came with 1 bar and he said he has like 50 chains for them at home.

He also through in what I think is a 201t cm?? Its a newer saw with m-tronic, think the crank bearings are no good. May be an interesting project..

Anyhow the price was stupid low so I SUCK for sure!!

I've never run a 200t so this should be fun. I know they are well liked amongst arborists.

Good to have friends!

I need a few winter projects so these should keep me busy!!
Y won't go back

Just a thought . If you have one of those 200's with a fried piston and the bottom end is questionable . Hutzl sells a short block for those saws that is very cheap . I am not much on aftermarket parts but this was the only way to go economically for a rebuild on a 200 I recently did. This wasn't my call but I must say I was impressed with the engine. Crank seals were not like the OEM ones . Every part I had to fit onto that short block was no trouble to get lined up and screwed down into place. I don't want to say it but it was just like working on a OEM saw and I didn't have to mess around with a piston or seals.

This was a tree service saw and these guys are not easy on equipment. So far so good from what I hear . They love that saw , better than the one that got the piston grenaded and so far it has held up really good which has surprised me. I thought they would have fried that saw by now.

I ordered one of those short blocks for myself because I have enough other parts to make a 200 and flip it later on this year.

As a saw repair shop, he boxed a tree climbers 200t for a recoil spring & carb kit? o_O I suppose I'd forgive anyone's shortcomings should they give me 8 200t's to play with, he's :numberone: friend.

I think the story went that he was given these saws from a local arborist that thought they were junk and taking up space.

He was going through them 1 by one and was planning on repairing them but he got strapped for time and they ended up under the bench.

So they ended up with me.

And yeah hes a good friend.

Started going through the box of saws after work today..

Looks like I have 6 good cylinders, theres 2 more that are still on the saws so maybe I have 8.

All the gastanks look fine, I have 5 decent handles and 4 chain brakes.

Theres 4 new farmertec pistons in boxes as well, I'll probably run those pistons in a couple saws. My buddy also slipped 5 sets of crank seals, gaskets and 4 carb kits into the deal.

So looks like all in all I got a good deal, I'm going to order 2 or 3 chain brake covers and handles, 4 annular buffers and a few odds and ends like fuel, impulse lines and gas caps.

The 201 cm is complete 100% but looks like it got dropped out if a bucket truck. The crank case has a crack in it.. I will price out a case in the future to see if thats a viable project cost wise.

I think ill start by building 4 long blocks and then go from there. Its a bit overwhelming having so many parts to play with.

Im going to keep one saw for sure, give one to the guy who sold me these and then sell how ever many I can build out of whats left.

Looks like I can build 4 or 5 with minimal parts and if I want to do the last 3 or 4 I'll need to spend some money.

Tinman, would it be easier (cheaper) to keep an eye out for a 201 with a fried top end parts saw to sort your cracked case?
Would also be interested to hear your opinion of the Farmertec cylinders versus the OEM ones, check things like the muffler bolt holes at the same centres as the Stihl ones for instance.
Having just gotten a box of 200T parts (just one non complete saw) myself, I might try a Farmertec cylinder/piston kit for a start to get it running and check everything else out before swapping it out for a Meteor kit.

Back