How NOT TO straight gas your Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wow

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
The old Straight gas demon is always lurking about and "it'll never happen to me", attitude is the weakness that makes it happen.
Yesterday my helper used one of my small gas cans normally containing mixed gas to transport Strait gas.
He left enough fuel to fill a saw but I poured the fuel into a Riding Mower instead because I was alerted. Something I normally do with mixed fuel cans is tie red plastic flag tape on the handle. When my helper put straight gas in the can he had wisely removed the red flagging which alerted me to the strait gas.
Small wise habits prevent big stupid problems and alerting helpers to the system saves saws.
I ALWAYS, mark my fuel containers and teach helpers about my system. At home, I use plastic bags with Red strap ties at the top. After the bags are filled and tied off I cut the tie not needed and stuff that in my pocket. Later I attach those to the gas can handles with Mixed fuel.
If Straight gas is put in that can I remove the red flag. It's quick and easy to mark fuel containers. Doing so is my method of NOT straight gassing a saw. Hopefully, it'll never happen to me.

6300_93260_p1.jpg

This type of spout only on the two stroke mix can, only mix in this can, only filled by me, only used by me. You touch my fuel can at severe risk to limbs, ask and permission will be granted, never grab that can without asking first.

images
GetImage.ashx

Correct but sometimes a helper may grab dedicated gas can. I have 4 small gas cans with red flags attached. Those are filled from the big fuel can. However a helper in a hurry removed the red flag and used the Dedicated can for Straight gas. This is Sunday here and he's not here so he removed the flagging..
That's the point of my post.
I FLAG all 2 cycle gas cans.
He knew that. He also knew he wanted to warn me that a small amount of Straight gas was in the can.
This worked because my fuel cans are flagged AND because my helper knew to REMOVE the red flagging tape.
That's a very good point.
I mix 4 gallons at a time. Fill 4 one gallon cans and tie flagging on the handles.
I also flag Mixed Roundup and Bug sprays with colored flagging. When you run a farm you want to know, what's in that jug!
Bug spray on tomatoes not weed killer.
The point is. Flagging containers and teaching help what and why things are flagged. Have a great day.

If u could only find one for cheap. Even the beat up used ones sell fast here. I dont cut enough to spend dealer $ on 1

How much do you cut? I got a couple of $1000 on saws and parts and tools and others. The cost of these cans pales considering what it costs to replace a MS461 with a MS462 or its equivalent.

My simple solution is to add the fuel mix oil to the gas can just before I go to the gas station and fill the gas can. That may sound goofy but it works for me. I also store the mixed fuel cans in the garage five feet away from the straight gas cans.
Thats exactly what i do too. I think its a very good system........ so far!

Greenhorns, or some guy's flunkie kid helping, are usually the straight gas offenders.
Training is the key.
That, and telling them it's
payroll deductible......Lol
View attachment 748643
My exact point.
Most of us guys know better.
BUT, that one Guy you have mowing the lawn or running a log splitter may decide your empty 2 cycle gas can is easier to carry 100 yards than the 5 gallons of straight gas. Fill the 1 gallon can. Pour half in the mower. Drive back to the barn. Put the dedicated 1 gallon can half full of Straight gas back where YOU keep it, then use the 5 gallon gas can to top off the mowing machine. Go home and leave the trap set for you.
What saved me besides knowing the color of straight gas and feel was the fact I'd already trained him that my 2 cycle gas cans ARE FLAGGED EVERY TIME no exceptions and IF FOR any reason you put straight gas in one you Remove the red flagging.
Guys, it's not You that's gonna mess up. It's that kid mowing your lawn. I have thousands of dollars of 2 cycle equipment. So far over the past 35 years my system has worked. Unskilled workers will set the trap. It's up to us to out fox em. If in doubt the gas goes into a 4 cycle engine which will digest mixed gas very well but the 2 cycle can't digest Straight gas. Good luck. I have a well trained helper but it's like a hen hatchin eggs. You gotta Always be alert and sitting on top of things. It's your equipment and in the end your responsibility. Good luck.

I only use sthil oil witch is dark blue and makes the gas look blue as well. All you have to do is pay attention to the color of the fuel. But yeah, you need a system if you have helpers fueling equipment.
Me too. I know the color and the feel of mixed.
I don't rely on a helper to know so I never allow anyone but me to fill my saws.
A few years ago I was working with a friend. He had his saw laying nearby and a gallon of fuel. My big saw ran low so he offered to top it off with his fuel. I said no and walked over to where my fuel was. He seemed upset and ask what's wrong with MY fuel? I said, maybe nothing but I always use only what I mix.
We finished felling and I left him to buck and stack.
A few days later he was buying a new saw. I asked why. He said, dunno, maybe bad gas. I thought to myself, yep buddy that's the very reason if I didn't put it from the pump into the container and add the good oil in the right amount and shake it like crazy it's NOT going into my engines.
I absolutely love 2 cycle engines for small equipment and diesel for bigger equipment. As a boy we had some gas burner tractors. Who remembers the Ford 8N and 9N or the Moline or the 2 cylinder (one big cylinder and one small) John Deer. I don't even like dealing with gasoline but it sure makes those tiny 2 cycles scream. Can you imagine a Diesel chainsaw? 120 cc !. My guess is it would be a 2 man high torque machine.

Me too. I know the color and the feel of mixed.
I don't rely on a helper to know so I never allow anyone but me to fill my saws.
A few years ago I was working with a friend. He had his saw laying nearby and a gallon of fuel. My big saw ran low so he offered to top it off with his fuel. I said no and walked over to where my fuel was. He seemed upset and ask what's wrong with MY fuel? I said, maybe nothing but I always use only what I mix.
We finished felling and I left him to buck and stack.
A few days later he was buying a new saw. I asked why. He said, dunno, maybe bad gas. I thought to myself, yep buddy that's the very reason if I didn't put it from the pump into the container and add the good oil in the right amount and shake it like crazy it's NOT going into my engines.
I absolutely love 2 cycle engines for small equipment and diesel for bigger equipment. As a boy we had some gas burner tractors. Who remembers the Ford 8N and 9N or the Moline or the 2 cylinder (one big cylinder and one small) John Deer. I don't even like dealing with gasoline but it sure makes those tiny 2 cycles scream. Can you imagine a Diesel chainsaw? 120 cc !. My guess is it would be a 2 man high torque machine.

Besides the color I'm the only one that fuels my equipment and I have 1 designated can for mixed fuel. My mixed fuel is in a one gallon red can (the only one gallon red can I own) Diesel fuel goes in the yellow can and regular gas goes in a red five gallon can. I also mark my cans with a sharpie just to be sure.

Whenever there is a reported straight gas incident on a public forum I like it how its always the 'helper' or 'neighbour' or 'brother in law' or whatever distant relative. Never will someone just come out & say, 'hi, I'm _____ & I straight gassed my saw'. It just takes too much inner courage to do it on a saw forum, few if any can muster up the required strength to admit such a sin. FWIW, a bottle of gas dye is only a few bux if your 2T oil is not colored. The 6 P's (PPPPPP) comes to mind; Proper-Preperation-Prevents-Piss-Poor-Performance.

You’d think after all these years, someone would produce a can that’s another color to define mix easily.

I’ve been using a yellow diesel can for mix. At least if some A-hole puts diesel in a saw by mistake, it’s gonna not run vs get destroyed.
I have always wondered the same....maybe it's time for the dedicated 2 cycle can? What color should it be? Using a diesel can is a good idea also.

I have always wondered the same....maybe it's time for the dedicated 2 cycle can? What color should it be? Using a diesel can is a good idea also.

From what I have seen...
  • Blue = water (usually)
  • Red = gasoline
  • Yellow = diesel
(All of the primary colors, I never actually noticed that)

Dedicated mix container colors....
  • Purple would be cool and gets my vote.
  • Green cans would blend in and get lost in the woods.
  • Orange maybe.

Either way, the cans would need to be able to accept aftermarket spouts.

A different color will only solve the problem of grabbing the wrong can. Forgetting to put oil in the mix is a totally different problem.

Latest posts

Back