Any reco's for a good, *cheap* rope-retailer? Wanting another climb-line, rigging-line, prusiks etc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eye.heart.trees

arborjunky
Reaction score
TL;DR- Any recommendations for the cheapest reputable rope-retailers? I can't get myself to order name-brand rope from some ebay seller, but am guessing my Bartlett's order of blue moon wasn't the shrewdest approach, at any rate I want another climb line (love BM but kinda want to try Adrenaline, dunno maybe just get another hank of BM), a spool of at least 50' for making prusiks(I've got an eye&eye split tail that I haven't used, have been loving a 2-prusik system for now but also use prusiks on my lanyards & false crotches for adjustability), and - if it's not appropriate to use BM as a rigging-line, then a hank of the cheapest light-rigging rope maybe 1/2" line max am not going to need 3/4" anytime soon!
[may be worth mentioning that I'm very keen to be home-splicing as soon as possible so I want my prusik rope and climbing-rope, if not all my ropes, to be hand-spliceable, pretty sure adrenaline is and know BM is!]
~~~~~~

I'm new and think I erred in my initial order, I got 120' blue moon (love the rope itself!) but thinking:
1 - that I'm no longer upset they were out-of-stock on the BM-with-sewn-eye, because I'm seeing VERY little pressure on my basal anchor after the friction of the rope around the tree's base, it's hardly cinching-down the knot I've got around my 1/2" metal-thimble (to eliminate rope-on-rope friction), and
2 - that I should've gotten 200' so I could cut-off more sections w/o comprising rope-length (have already taken almost 20' off for (2) false crotches and a 'flipline'/lanyard(prusik-based adjustability))

So I'm now thinking that instead of waiting til the Blue Moon has gotten a bit worn, and then making it my rigging-rope, that I'd be better-off getting either a new line *right now* for climbing and making the BM my rigging line, OR get a dedicated rigging line, a ~120-150' hank of Adrenaline that won't get a snippet removed from it, and have the BM as my 'extra' rope for lanyards/false crotches and, if/when I've got a rigging line that's ~13mm+, I can then use the 11.7mm BM as prusiks on the rigging-line for all types of versatility!

Some of my biggest thoughts are whether or not it's acceptable/norm to use older climb-lines as rigging lines, I mean my BM has 2.5% stretch and around 6500lbs MBS, it seems totally suitable for lighter rigging (I should be clear I'm only talking light rigging, am not even setting these things up yet am just wanting to practice & learn thankfully I've got a massive Oak to play with in my yard!) and I'm often seeing what very-much looks like climb-line being used for rigging so think it's OK but wanted to run it by others!

Thanks for any advice :)

1) Think "lowering line" vs. "rigging line" if you are using retired tree climbing rope. If it will be getting ANY shock load, you need a dynamic rope.
2) Shop around: TreeStuff, Sherrill, Wesspur (great place for short lengths - they sell extras. Go to "Rope" then "Clearance Rope" on the drop down menu), Bailey's, Midwest Arborist Supplies, Knot & Rope Supply, Bailey's. I've bought from all and have been happy. Also hear good things about Shelter Tree and Bartlett Tree Man. I used to buy a few things from Ben Meadows and periodically Forestry Suppliers. Based on my last couple of experiences with Forestry Suppliers (after they bought Ben Meadows) I won't be buying from them again - I've spent more to buy elsewhere and thought it a bargain.
3) Don't be pruning the oak during growing season (oak wilt).

Engineered rope is about as off brand as I'd go.
Otherwise like those before me have said stick to the mainstream arb suppliers and just wait til they're having a sale.

Good cheap rig line I like 16 strand. If you shop around you can pick up a 200ft Hank for a little over a c-note.

Adrenaline is not hand splice able btw. Blue moon and it's variants are and splice very easily.

Instead of cutting up your climbline to make lanyards and ring to rings, you can get shorty sections from wesspurs clearance Dept.

I have two Samson blue streak retired climbing lines that are great for light duty applications. ie. small removals with natural crotch rigging.
This is a good way to save wear on my better ropes.

I put them away and grab real rigging lines when I'm using false crotch and lowering devices in higher risk situations.

Wesspur. They are generally cheaper than the other websites. Good rope will cost $50 on the low end for 120' of cheap rigging rope to $140 for 120' of middle of the range rope compatible with SRT. Tennex is pretty cheap rigging rope for light-duty rigging; Arborplex is cheap drt/mrs climbing rope. Hyperclimb climbing rope by Samson is a bit more, but can be used with mechanical devices for SRT.

https://www.mapleleafropes.com/store/category/polyester-high-tenacity-double-braid-coated-bull-rope
I got a spool of 1/2” double braid, polyester jacket, nylon core from these guys, it’s excellent, and from what I can tell, the price is almost untouchable. They’re a good company, they take customer satisfaction seriously and return emails in a timely manner.

This stuff is a little less cash and has diameter choices from 1/4” up to 2.5”.
https://www.mapleleafropes.com/store/category/polyester-high-tenacity-double-braid

Wesspur. They are generally cheaper than the other websites. Good rope will cost $50 on the low end for 120' of cheap rigging rope to $140 for 120' of middle of the range rope compatible with SRT. Tennex is pretty cheap rigging rope for light-duty rigging; Arborplex is cheap drt/mrs climbing rope. Hyperclimb climbing rope by Samson is a bit more, but can be used with mechanical devices for SRT.
Thanks! Checking them out now!!

https://www.mapleleafropes.com/store/category/polyester-high-tenacity-double-braid-coated-bull-rope
I got a spool of 1/2” double braid, polyester jacket, nylon core from these guys, it’s excellent, and from what I can tell, the price is almost untouchable. They’re a good company, they take customer satisfaction seriously and return emails in a timely manner.

This stuff is a little less cash and has diameter choices from 1/4” up to 2.5”.
https://www.mapleleafropes.com/store/category/polyester-high-tenacity-double-braid
Yep. Prices right. Prompt delivery? Thanks!

Prompt enough, but was a day or two longer to clear customs inspection and change hands from Canada Post to (I think) USPS.
Always possible US Customs can delay it further if they want a closer look too, not much can be done about it, but hopefully not too long.

I ordered a box of ”short lengths” from CMC pro a couple years back. It was New England KM III, mostly all 1/2”, 140 and 190 ‘ lengths and 7 more ranging from 30-60 feet. I believe it was $100 for the box with free shipping. I thought it was an excellent deal. 3300 working load and 16.5 K breaking load. Can’t remember if it was static or dynamic.

I have 150' of brand new Samson Mercury, Blue color, for sale right now. No sewn eyes. Reply here if you're interested. I have it on Ebay. You can buy it straight from me, or Ebay if you like that better.

Latest posts

Back