Stupid response

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marine-piper

Homelite collector in training.☠
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So I was checking out craigslist and noticed a saw that I'd like to try to get running so I said I'm interested and asked if the price was firm or negotiable.
I got a response saying "double for u" wtf is that crap? Another person who found grandpa's saw and want's a $1000.
Whatever happened to civility?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

CL can be a great asset and I've made some nice sales and purchases using it. It can also be a horrible place to sell and is getting worse. Sure, if you look hard enough and far enough there are a few deals here and there, but I've found it difficult, if not near impossible to drop the hammer on many of the items I've tried to purchase. Not uncommon at all for the buyers start getting evasive when you try to close the deal. It often seems like they are trying to solicit for some attention and get folks interested, bait you in, get your hopes up, then disappear into oblivion.

There is also some risk involved with going to look at, or having folks come to your castle to look at items for sale. As a real buyer, or seller I've arranged quite a few time to meet in a public area like a Walmart parking lot to complete the sale. I actually encourage it vs having folks come to my house way out here in the country and get a chance to scope out what I've got and what I'm doing.

I have done pretty good selling used vehicles on CL, and a few other items like tires, chainsaws, etc, but you are going to very quickly get a ****-ton of responses from folks wanting to buy it without even coming to see it, and sending you some sort of "bank check" for payment. When you see that the area code is NOT from anywhere close to you, or it comes thru gmail, just ignore them.

I'm running an add on their right now for some Wine machines left over from my wife's business we closed last year, and have sold them a dozen times to folks who haven't even showed up to look at them! The are all OK with the price, and want to send me a bank check, then arrange pick-up once the funds are in my account...ya...right!.......Cliff

I sell saws on C’list. I price them for what I want out of them. I also include in my add: “Lowballers will be treated rudely.”

When a stupid low offer is tendered, I reply with this:
be0856bd7cb9f5a2d44ff1feef525fbc.jpg

And then block their number.

I never do emails.

I ran an add a few times on cL why do I bother, like crack heads bust my chops they say they want it then I never hear from them again, I don’t post on cL anymore. Low ballers the guy says I’ll buy both saws for the price listed for one? The guy is serious.

If asking a seller if a price is firm or negotiable is lowballing then society has truly became soft!
I always respond, pay what is negotiated and show up. I never do business at my or their home unless it's absolutely impossible to do differently.
If someone asks me if a price is negotiable I respond with a civil answer.
The keyboard warrior/tough guy syndrome in full force.

I haven’t sold anything on CL for a long time for that reason. I do my modern saw stuff on here and vintage stuff on the respective brand FB pages. And general stuff locally on FB buy/sell pages and marketplace.

People are still flaky on FB but when they are using a profile with their name and pictures I think it adds a little bit of accountability. If I have someone jack me around more than one time I block them. As a big Homelite guy I hate to say it but I’ve had more flakes on the Homelite page than anywhere else on FB.

Or they lowball me and never seen what I’m selling.

The funny thing is I had a gravely tractor for sale. The year older one was yellow the year newer one is red, same exact tractor. Everyone who looked at it wanted the red one. I told my son they want red one get the spray paint. The paint wasn’t dry yet and the very next guy bought it.

To this day we joke about you want it red we’ll make it red.

Or they lowball me and never seen what I’m selling.

The funny thing is I had a gravely tractor for sale. The year older one was yellow the year newer one is red, same exact tractor. Everyone who looked at it wanted the red one. I told my son they want red one get the spray paint. The paint wasn’t dry yet and the very next guy bought it.

To this day we joke about you want it red we’ll make it red.
I ****ing hate when people lowball before coming out.

I’ll tell people that cash will talk IF you show up out here but negotiating unseen isn’t going to happen.

Facebook marketplace is the new C-list. My truck is broken down (1/2 ton, overloaded it) There is a 1 ton truck on there I want in the worst way- but the guy is such a prick I can't even get him to get more pics, a vin for a loan, anything. I can't get him to tell me a time I can come see it. I would drive TWICE as far (5 hours currently) to buy this truck if I just got a TINY bit of reasonable response.

As a seller, I won’t bid against myself before someone comes out and is actually making an offer.

If the buyer/interested party wants to throw out an offer, like OP apparently was willing to do, then do it. But it is stupid to expect the seller to back down from asking price before buyer has tendered an offer and then get miffed when he won’t play along.

Yup I will certainly ask the guy if it is negotiable if I show up with cash. Cause sometimes I am not totally convinced that I am buying it and that might be a deciding factor. And I do not want to waste their or my time.

I use kijiji same stuff just a different pile. I had a homelite weed Wacker given to me. I did the carb and new fuel tank with lines. I used it for a couple years. I listed it for $60 bucks and I got tones of people “would you take $20 or $30” so I re listed it for $120 and was offered $60 so I said ok lol

So I was checking out craigslist and noticed a saw that I'd like to try to get running so I said I'm interested and ssked if the price was firm or negotiable.
I got a response saying "double for u" wtf is that crap? Another person who found grandpa's saw and want's a $1000.
Whatever happened to civility?

What a ****.. you don't want to purchase anything from someone who acts like that anyway. Better off to forget he even exists, there will always be another chance down The line.

I got two CL bargains.

A 026 that was VERY filthy but cleaned up and runs well, w/5 75% chisel chains, $95

Then an ad for "chainsaws". Called, a running usable 056M AND a straight gassed 026, $50 USD!!!

Only have a pic for the first, the 056M is a spare sawmiller, and I have OEM parts for the 026.

Attachments

• DSC_0033.JPG
    DSC_0033.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 17
As a seller, I won’t bid against myself before someone comes out and is actually making an offer.

If the buyer/interested party wants to throw out an offer, like OP apparently was willing to do, then do it. But it is stupid to expect the seller to back down from asking price before buyer has tendered an offer and then get miffed when he won’t play along.
So as not to get too far off topic I wasn't "miffed" that the seller wouldn't take my offer, non was given, I simply asked if the price was negotiable.
I was "miffed" at the response of "double for u".
Being new to the hobby I had paid too much for several saws and I know that from being a lunker for a while before being a contributor.
I asked only so I can decide if it's worth the hr drive 1 way and the over priced saw.
Many sellers list firm or negotiable and I only asked in case it was accidentally omitted.
Maybe some here have deep pockets and don't mind wasting time but I don't and do.

So as not to get too far off topic I wasn't "miffed" that the seller wouldn't take my offer, non was given, I simply asked if the price was negotiable.
I was "miffed" at the response of "double for u".
Being new to the hobby I had paid too much for several saws and I know that from being a lunker for a while before being a contributor.
I asked only so I can decide if it's worth the hr drive 1 way and the over priced saw.
Many sellers list firm or negotiable and I only asked in case it was accidentally omitted.
Maybe some here have deep pockets and don't mind wasting time but I don't.

I do not think you did anything wrong....it never hurts to ask if the price is firm. Not like you insulted the guy or something.

I always ask if price is negotiable or firm. I see no harm in asking.
If I’m going to be taking cash, I want to know how much to take.
I google earth the address to see what kind of neighborhood I’m going to be going too and I always go packing concealed.
So far, no bad experiences on Craigslist for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back