It's official - the progressive depth gauge setting technique is tops!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Kunte

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
As I posted a while ago in previous thread, I was prepping 3 chains for a friend who is a lumberjack. He's been doing it for years, but always has his chains ground at the dealer. I am a recent convert to the progressive filing technique, and ground his Stihl 3/8" chains for him, after which I put Hannes69's home-made filing gauge on the chain and filed the depth gauges to their proper heights. The 3 chains were in different states - one about 30% used, another around 50%, and the last one about 70% used. As noted in the earlier thread, Lenny told me that only his new chains cut well, and that resharpened ones did not work for him...I had to find out why this was the case....

This morning I received three WhatsApp voice notes from Lenny, and his response was overwhelming! He could not stop raving about how fast the chains cut (even the 70% used one), and how well they held their edge, even in the tough Eucalyptus (Bluegums) he was cutting. He was also impressed with the "controllably" aggressive cutting "feeling" he was experiencing, and he has cut many, many trees! Needless to say I was really pleased with the outcome! :):):)

I want to thank each and every one here on Arboristsite for the help, assistance, and info given to help me get here (eventually) on my journey to better sharpening. I realize that this topic may be old news for professional fellers, but for us mere mortals it was a fantastic revelation! This progressive method really, really works! I want to encourage each and every free-hand filer, grinder operator, or jig filer to look into the progressive method - it will change the way you see your chains' depth gauges forever! You can now get full service life, and good, straight, well -behaved, and safe cuts from your sawchains!

Mike

Enjoying some crotch vibes? It's ok, we all do it...

...don't we?
There is a reason I leave all my stumps waist high.

Flehlights with a shower suction cup...

Just be sure to ventilate the room or you will die of asphyxiation in the most embarrasing way.

Looked, but couldn't find. Is there a link to the original article/thread explaining this technique?

TIA,

Bob

Apologies, Bob!

I should have linked the previous post. It's quite long, and if you ignore some of the nasties happening somewhere near the middle of the posts, you will find a wealth of info here....

https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...pported-by-software-tool.320388/#post-6554380

That being said, I don't think anything really new was discovered here (except for Hannes69's handy calculator). These progressive depth gauges have been around for years, but I only discovered them in this thread. It's turned out to be solid gold for me! Enjoy!

Mike

Latest posts

Back