Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That happens some times. This area there’s enough trees and dead fall they usually stop before the road. When I get them to the bank right before the road I try to roll (flop) them end ways then they stop on the road, unless they turn and start rolling then I usually never see them again :surprised3:. This area the road has a small berm on outside edge and road slopes to inside so that helps.
The road that you are on doesn't look like it gets much traffic. I have to be really careful rolling logs since there is a county road bordering my land.

The road that you are on doesn't look like it gets much traffic. I have to be really careful rolling logs since there is a county road bordering my land.
Yeah it’s not too bad, usually 3-4 cars go by while I’m there so still have to be careful, they can really get going in the more open areas :surprised3:
Don’t know if it would work for your area but I have fell a tree across the hill just above the road to stop the rounds before they hit the road.
Would like to have some kind of a winch set up to pull the whole tree to the road someday, so I don’t have to roll blocks, would that work on your land?

@LondonNeil What happens with the Irish border in the case of a hard brexit? Shitcan the backstop agreement and fall back to the Good Friday agreement? But how will either option work if the UK is out of the trade and customs union?
For trade, just revert to WTO rules and call it done, and consider negotiations at the Irish border are just like negotiating any other trade and customs agreements with any other country?
What are the options?

If it goes to a general election, which I kinda think is likely, are the voters going to be herded into brexit and Irish backstop issues while all the others like NHS, etc going to slyly slip under the radar?

May we live in interesting times :)

Might want to rethink that one. When the military first issued the M-16 it didn’t even come with a cleaning kit because it was so reliable. Many a GI got popped trying to unjam that “reliable” piece of work.
The quick thinkers left them buried in the mud and grabbed an AK47 off a dead enemy.

If a real man is worried about it sounding like anything, more than what he can get done with his Ute, he can take a flying leap for all I care. Phuck'm.

:D

With trout season closed, a man has to get a rise somehow.

But for one factor I think the lecky ute and EV vehicle concept is more novelty factor rather than practicality factor and will remain so for the foreseeable future. Yes, it can be done but for a range of previously mentioned reasons, I think it will remain on the fringe.

So what is that one factor, you ask? Government action. Regulation and taxation on the internal combustion engine vehicles and their fuel aimed at shifting buyers to EV would be the one way they can become competitive. Left to the market, EVs would be stone dead IMO.

@LondonNeil What happens with the Irish border in the case of a hard brexit? Shitcan the backstop agreement and fall back to the Good Friday agreement? But how will either option work if the UK is out of the trade and customs union?
For trade, just revert to WTO rules and call it done, and consider negotiations at the Irish border are just like negotiating any other trade and customs agreements with any other country?
What are the options?

If it goes to a general election, which I kinda think is likely, are the voters going to be herded into brexit and Irish backstop issues while all the others like NHS, etc going to slyly slip under the radar?

May we live in interesting times :)

It's a great big mess. Tbh, we've had peace long enough for most English to forget how it was and ni isn't on their agenda. Scots and Welsh may have longer memories but the terrorism was either ni or London/major English cities. The ni border isn't getting people worked up, but it should.

Yeah it’s not too bad, usually 3-4 cars go by while I’m there so still have to be careful, they can really get going in the more open areas :surprised3:
Don’t know if it would work for your area but I have fell a tree across the hill just above the road to stop the rounds before they hit the road.
Would like to have some kind of a winch set up to pull the whole tree to the road someday, so I don’t have to roll blocks, would that work on your land?

I do have a lot of brush bordering the road so that may slow it down. If I am rolling 100+ lbs of wood all bets are off. In the past I have had someone in the ditch to stop any wayward rounds. If I can I try to haul wood out via my woods road I have. More work but it is safer.

The quick thinkers left them buried in the mud and grabbed an AK47 off a dead enemy.

Such a move would draw friendly fire in RVN 1969. The distinct difference in report from an M16.

Don’t be ‘dissing’ God’s Terrible Swift Sword.
06c173dd2fda073674d9943fb52965dc.jpg

Clean rounds & mags was the key on the second generation BTW.

Thanks Neil, stay cool over there, hope you have ac and something cool to drink.

Ssshhhh.. don’t say that out loud:surprised3:, already getting way too crowded here.
It is, I’m very thankful to be able to live here.

I was hoping you guys weren’t getting tired of my pictures. I like for other people to see the things I do, I sure like seeing it. Maybe I shouldn’t keep posting pictures so people won’t want to move here:reading:... lol.
Your always welcome here.

Between your 7.3 PSD and the GEORGOUS scenery, I could never get tired of your pics.

:D

With trout season closed, a man has to get a rise somehow.

But for one factor I think the lecky ute and EV vehicle concept is more novelty factor rather than practicality factor and will remain so for the foreseeable future. Yes, it can be done but for a range of previously mentioned reasons, I think it will remain on the fringe.

So what is that one factor, you ask? Government action. Regulation and taxation on the internal combustion engine vehicles and their fuel aimed at shifting buyers to EV would be the one way they can become competitive. Left to the market, EVs would be stone dead IMO.
One of the highest EV uptake countries is Norway. It's far from a fringe uptake. It's something like half of the new cars bought these days are EV. But they are a perfect exception in many ways. Also kinda ironic given their very significant national wealth is based on oil exports. Taxing ICE, rebates on EVs, serious seed funding of public/private partnerships to build what is a relatively comprehensive charging network, and a predominantly abundant hydro 'lecky generation has certainly helped. Many countries won't ever have those comparative advantages. There are however, some questions being raised about how, if at all, they are going to make up for the drop in fuel tax contributions to their sovereign wealth fund.

It's a great big mess. Tbh, we've had peace long enough for most English to forget how it was and ni isn't on their agenda. Scots and Welsh may have longer memories but the terrorism was either ni or London/major English cities. The ni border isn't getting people worked up, but it should.
Maybe just let NI decide if they stay in a post-brexit UK (with whatever trade/border controls required at the border to the EU) or stay with the EU? They could choose to stay in the EU as independent or get swallowed up by the republic.

Ultimately, it's their future, their call. Or is that just way too simplistic an outsiders view? I'm nowhere near at a point of understanding it all.

Not to mention the disruption to business having to sort out what’s coming rather than getting on with the job. A lot of companies will shift there European head quarters out into Germany ect. I’m sure I could write a long list.
I have to laugh at what Dyson have done. "Sir" James Dyson was a staunch brexiteer, then they moved much of their production offshore and they have just recently off-shored their actual company. Still have plenty of people employed in the UK though.

It's an interesting dynamic at play. Are some of the EU countries going to put any pressure on the EU to negotiate a good agreement with an independent UK that keeps the trade flowing or will those countries just roll over and accept they have SFA say / self-determination as a vassal of Brussels. Will the UK be able to negotiate good enough deals with others outside the EU (Trump better come through with a good deal), and fast enough, to at least reduce the pain of this divorce with the EU?

Does the EU have no choice but to go all-in and hammer the UK even if it means sacrificing some of their own countries to do so, to stave of what will be an existential threat if the UK makes it out alive and others in the EU see that as an example to follow.

Interesting how this will play out. When it all gets tricky I always seem to revert back to whatever the will of the people is. Even if I don't like what the majority want, it's still ultimately better than alternatives to democracy.

Back