028 Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aokpops

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Working on a 028 . Last weak I bottle feed it got it to fire . Thinking a new carburator an done . Put the new carburator on today about 3 pulls with the choke on got it to fire turned the choke off nothing bottle feed it nothing . Check compression 150 blue spark . What I think happen the coil is out time . Just asking what other ways to test it ? Bottle feed a lot of engines . Even if the seals were bad should get something .

Working on a 028 . Last weak I bottle feed it got it to fire . Thinking a new carburator an done . Put the new carburator on today about 3 pulls with the choke on got it to fire turned the choke off nothing bottle feed it nothing . Check compression 150 blue spark . What I think happen the coil is out time . Just asking what other ways to test it ? Bottle feed a lot of engines . Even if the seals were bad should get something .

right.

Install new spark plug. Most likely it's flooded.
Hold the throttle trigger wide open and crank or let it set 24 hrs and retry. If still erratic the jets may be way out of adjustment.

Is that a stihl carb or a $10 china clone?

right.

Install new spark plug. Most likely it's flooded.
Hold the throttle trigger wide open and crank or let it set 24 hrs and retry. If still erratic the jets may be way out of adjustment.

Is that a stihl carb or a $10 china clone?
Letting it set and yes a China. Going to try it with a new plug tomorrow.Had small engines with blue spark not fire an the coil would be out time . Don't work on stihls and wonder if this happens to them ?

The timing on an engine is not controlled by the coil, they do not get out of time but the older engines had points that determined when the coil discharges. The newer saws use an electronic module that determines when the coil discharges, the flywheel magnets create the field that in turn charges the coil. If the flywheel is out of alignment, sheared its positing key, then yes the engine may be out of timing. The electronic chip in the module may deteriorate to the point fire becomes erratic or non existent, the whole unit will need to be replaced to rectify that situation.

Just because the plug has fire when you remove and ground to the head, doesnt mean its good. I had a 50cc italian baby moto x bike run me crazy for almost a week before I replaced the plug in desperation.
Replaced the carb on my Echo SRM21 trimmer. It would run maybe 2 minutes when cold. Just enough to start tuning the carb, then die. Would run maybe 3-5 seconds after that. Nice blue fire on plug. Installed new plug. Problem disappeared. Squashed old offending plug with hammer, felt better, gave trimmer to nephew. He uses it every day.

Did this for a friend at work . I don.t work you Stihl saws, a new coil should be in mail Saturday . There is no reason this saw should not bark little . Let it set a day pull on 3 times a little bark flip choke off nothing bottle feed it nothing . Getting close to 300 pulls on this thing an nothing . Check air gap on coil 0.10 check compression 150 . I never check the flywheel key . July 27 will be the last day I work on any Stihl again . Let you know how works out

Did this for a friend at work . I don.t work you Stihl saws, a new coil should be in mail Saturday . There is no reason this saw should not bark little . Let it set a day pull on 3 times a little bark flip choke off nothing bottle feed it nothing . Getting close to 300 pulls on this thing an nothing . Check air gap on coil 0.10 check compression 150 . I never check the flywheel key . July 27 will be the last day I work on any Stihl again . Let you know how works out

My 028S is one of my most reliable saws. It has original ~ 35 year old ignition parts, carb refreshed once. Rubber stuff has not leaked yet, but it has not run any E10.

4-5 pulls on choke after sitting 6 months and it will pop, then fire on half choke.

My 028S is one of my most reliable saws. It has original ~ 35 year old ignition parts, carb refreshed once. Rubber stuff has not leaked yet, but it has not run any E10.

4-5 pulls on choke after sitting 6 months and it will pop, then fire on half choke.

Sounds like a twin to mine. When I want to get er dun with something I can trust I reach for my very old 028.
Worn out several chains, installed one carb kit and still has original ignition system and maybe same spark plug.

I've had a woodruff keys shear on the 028, quite a heavy flywheel on these saws, full throttle plus chain brake application will shear the key, I spent a good while trying to figure out a non runner!

The coil was out of time had a good blue spark . Didn't realize it was a points ignition . This was the third upgrade on the ignition first one was points second was some other trigger last was a modern coil . Really surprise to see points . I don't know how to read year codes on Stihls . Was in really good shape, was thinking after getting it running the points look really good might have run just using the points . I had a 1980 028 with points no chain brake . What was the last year for points ?

have no spark or sometimes weak spark on an 028 that has not run in a couple of years - was running strong when it ran last. what is a good source for a 028 coil for the electronic ignition? thanks

Latest posts

Back