Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How can I tell what sprocket is on this C71? It has 3/8 chain on it but everything I read says it should be .404

I will have to get pics when I get back home, I am away for the weekend right now.

Anyone have a salvageable cylinder for this guy. Not sure this one will clean up. Wouldn’T mind a complete saw instead.
View attachment 749685
View attachment 749683
View attachment 749684
View attachment 749686
View attachment 749687
That’s cool. I have an XL700 that looks almost new. Only saw I ever bought on eBay. The guy said it was a good runner. I got it to fire once or twice, but it never ran. Turned out the guy hit it with starting fluid, got it running, and just kept spraying fluid in it to keep it running. Rings melted into piston.

Picked these 2 this morning for $35. The XL 102 is quite clean and should be a runner with little effort. Cant believe these are 57cc in such a small frame!!
The C71 unfortunately has a pretty bad case of "white death". It seems to be confined to the top of the saw and the cases have been saved. It will need the airbox/rear handle replaced as well as the air filter cover. It also looks as if it had little use. But appears it sat somewhere with moisture getting to it from the top which seems odd.
Seems not a lot of parts around for this, what models will interchange?
a48043679e2931689bd82ede9731d750.jpg
5d18a8252b6d8196715a1f30951bd8c4.jpg
93fe05c820a607789b03a994f3a65ea8.jpg
c6079b182c3a509c4df6f38254033940.jpg
I have a Super 1050 with a Blue air box that looks like it came off a C5.

That’s cool. I have an XL700 that looks almost new. Only saw I ever bought on eBay. The guy said it was a good runner. I got it to fire once or twice, but it never ran. Turned out the guy hit it with starting fluid, got it running, and just kept spraying fluid in it to keep it running. Rings melted into piston.

Ouch!

Thanks, will the airbox from the C5 fit? I found a few of those on the bay.

Yes, it should. Lots of parts interchange on those saws, I'd guess that almost everything except for the crankcases/cylinders will swap. Watch out for the seals, think one of them is a "proprietary size" Every thing else is easily obtained.

20160109_121305.jpg

Yes, it should. Lots of parts interchange on those saws, I'd guess that almost everything except for the crankcases/cylinders will swap. Watch out for the seals, think one of them is a "proprietary size" Every thing else is easily obtained.

View attachment 750291
WOW, that looks nice. Was just thinking, my Super 1050 with the Blue air box, I might see how many different colors I can find to fit it and make it a "Rat Rod". :)

View attachment 750291
Thank you so much for the information.

The 58308 has yet to have a suitable replacement from everything I've researched..., which includes just about anything anyone anywhere has researched or published to the contrary. Probably why guys on ebay get $15 or more a pop for em and they're always sold out. I was lucky and found one cheaper for an SXLAO rebuild project. NOS and the rubber felt like new.

Didn't you actually modify the case to accommodate a readily available seal on that project?

Not much saw time of late, but I got the Super 2 running today. I lucked out. One of a few saws I've picked that ran well with some minor carb adjustments. Sure helps when the PO's actually put them to bed properly. Had to adjust some of the lines into/out of the tanks to tighten them up in the holes. Given the scope of the plumbing and the fact I didn't need to pull the carb, it runs and oils like a champ. I did add a new duckbill to the oil tank. Typical black goo. Pulled the covers for good measure. Nice and clean. I spun a new loop of 91 for it. Now, it needs to go out for a rip.

Homelite  (3).JPG Homelite  (4).JPG Homelite  (5).JPG

Picked up this 130 a bit ago. It is a project. It took a good smack on the side cover and has seen better days. But, the brake is functional. The S-clutch is in two pieces, so I will need to track down another from a 76/130/123 if anyone is sitting on one. Needs a manual plunger for the oil pump as well. Piston and cylinder are nice and clean. Compression is great.

Homelite  (1).JPG Homelite  (2).JPG

actually modify the case to accommodate a readily available seal on that
Yeah, on my XP-1100 I milled out the case and ground the crank surface to accept a metric sized seal. I think I took something like .005" out of the case diameter and maybe .020" off the crank.

My restored C9 above, I ended up ordering a NOS seal off of ebay. I think it was the PTO side but I can't remember.

On another related Homelite note, I got this sweet 41" cannon roller nose bar off of craigslist the other day and did some creative grinding to make it fit my XP1100.
20190729_172249.jpg

20190729_172314.jpg

The S-clutch is in two pieces, so I will need to track down another from a 76/130/123 if anyone is sitting on one. Needs a manual plunger for the oil pump as well. Piston and cylinder are nice and clean. Compression is great.

I might have the oil pump plunger pieces, but I know I don't have the clutch. I'll be out of town for the long weekend so if you can wait, and I can find the pieces, they are yours for free.

Usually I am up to attempting to fix PO's mistakes. No fix for this one, though. I don't think you could have been any more heavy handed torquing the carb to the manifold and manifold to the case. PO spoke of having an ignition problem. Spinach eating problem is more like it.

For those getting into these 76/130/123's for the first time, go easy on the intake blocks...

At least the new OEM piston rings he threw on are still new.

Homelite - Intake Manifold - XL -130.JPG

Homelite - Intake Manifold - XL-130 (1).JPG

Back