When your not running them saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
How often do you start up your saws when your not running them? When I was doing firewood I cut from September till the spring mud season I topped off the gas tanks with fresh gas and they sat all summer unless I got work. Now being retired they may sit for a while. Do you run them out of gas?

Do you add a little seafoam in the gas tank to keep the gas mix fresh?

You know, I've been thinking on this one.

Oxygen is your real enemy, I suspect if you cryovaced them they might be fine.

How often do you start up your saws when your not running them?

For my self, all the petrol I buy gets a dose of briggs & s fuel fit on arrival without fail, even if going in mowers etc. Then, if for 2t it gets Stihl synthetic two stroke oil at 50/1. When I run a saw, I try to run it dry at end of day as it may be a year or three before it gets selected for use again. If unused for very long periods, I add a capful of seafoam to tank, but that will be all that's in there. Trouble is ,they get older and flexible bits get less flexible, or disintegrate altogether no matter what. I'm not sure that there is a solution other than 'replace'
"Ask yourself is what I'm about to do safe ? ''........now there's a bit of good advice, unfortunately only likely to be heeded by those over say, 55......its called "experience". Somebody once told me "Experience is a wicked tutor. ... The wise man will distill it's most bitter lessons with a sense of joy " I think that was to do with a girlfriend though.....but like accidents, they hurt. like hell for. a bit. Sorry, I digress !

If they have fuel in them, I run them at least once a month. If I'm leaving them idle more than a month, I run them out of fuel.

I've heard this is the best stuff to use if there gonna sit for a long period of time.it will stay good for at least a year.all you would need is to put enough in the tank to start it let it run a few minutes to get it into the carb.motomix.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

In a vented system this new fuel doesn't do well sitting for long periods of time.

When I'm done with any piece of power equipment, chainsaw, string trimmer, generator, etc I get them running, dump the tank, and continue to run them till the carb goes empty. Been doing this now for at least 15 years and have zero issues with any of my stuff.

I would never put Seafoam or any other stabilizers or additives in the fuel right to start with, nor would I rely on them to keep the water out of the fuel or to keep it from loosing octane, etc.

For the saws that I use frequently, or anything that I don't let sit for months and years I don't run them empty. Instead I clean them up, sharpen the chain, and fill the fuel and oil tanks so they are ready to go for the next outing.

The three biggest problems I see with this new fuel (and I work on fuel systems, carburetors and small equipment for a living) is that the fuel brings in considerable moisture/water with it, at least 1 to 1 with the amount of ethanol content. If left sitting it tends to form what we call "apple jelly" in the tanks and it will find it's way into the carb and plug things up. The second problem is simply loosing octane. For some reason this new fuel in a vented system starts loosing it octane quickly. I wouldn't run any of it that's been around more than about 6 months, and it may give you issues in about half that amount of time. The third issue is swelling up any type of rubber, so carb kits, fuel lines and anything else that comes in contact with this new fuel can not be rubber based. Some companies use nitrile, others use various grades of flouroelostomer (Viton) to make fuel lines and carburetor parts to survive in modern fuel blends.

Case in point, guy drops off a Honda 3000 watt portable generator recently. He says no-start. He also says that he put Stabil in the fuel before putting it away some 8-10 years ago. So I figure the carb is all plugged up, but it's clean. It has spark, has fuel in the carb, fuel getting to the plug but woln't start or even attempt to start.

I dump all the fuel, replace it with fresh fuel, give the intake to the carb a quit squirt of fresh gas and it roars to life instantly and runs sort of OK.

Then I tried to light the fuel removed from the tank in the gravel driveway outside the shop and had trouble lighting it! Not only was it difficult to ignite it burned more like kerosene that gasoline.

I noticed the generator was "hunting" pretty heavy and told the owner about it. He said it's always done that but fine under load. So I hook two 1500 watt heaters to it and it stops hunting, but will only pull 80 something volts. I "tipped-in" the choke flap to richen things up and it comes right up to 115 volts and smooths right out. I ended up taking out the main jet and increasing the metering area by .003". It no longer hunts at all and pulls full load w/o any issues.

I find myself doing this a lot with older equipment that was originally sold before they started putting ethanol in the fuel and "reformulating" the gas, oxygenated, etc. It takes about 5-7 percent more of this new fuel to effectively get the job done vs older fuel blends. Just a little extra info that may help some folks who read these threads......Cliff

E-free has for storing all 2 stroke equipment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard this is the best stuff to use if there gonna sit for a long period of time.it will stay good for at least a year.all you would need is to put enough in the tank to start it let it run a few minutes to get it into the carb.View attachment 749730

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Canned fuels are alkylate based just like avgas. The only differance is avgas has lead in it and is much cheaper. Hence I use avgas.

I only use Husqvarna 50:1 pre mix non ethanol. I guess I’ll add some seafoam just a tad. I do add a tad more husky two stroke oil to the husky pre mix.

A few years back my new Coleman 3800 watt generator was hunting bad. I put a whole can of seafoam in the gas tank and topped it off with gas, I ran it a little then let it sit. I started it months later and it smoother out. It cleaned the carb out.

How often do you start up your saws when your not running them? When I was doing firewood I cut from September till the spring mud season I topped off the gas tanks with fresh gas and they sat all summer unless I got work. Now being retired they may sit for a while. Do you run them out of gas?

VP 94 non Ethanol mix in it run it a minute then put it away for winter. Works for all my machinery and saws.

I will pass on using Seafoam. E-free with stabilizer in synthetic 2 stroke air cooled oil for me.

How often do you start up your saws when your not running them?

I am lost...
I put them in my sidebox or set them diwn while I am loading out.

When I am asleep they may be in the garage for the night.

Latest posts

Back