Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 462 did the felling and larger bucking, and my MMWS 261 (Ver II) did the limbing and a lot of the smaller bucking. It is a very impressive, very light saw!

The 362 was with me, but was not used … was in reserve in case one of the others rocked a chain.

I actually did touch a rock with the 462 … a 6" piece of granite was hiding in a V, and I did not see it till I stopped cutting and went around the other side. I could see the chain touched it, but it kept cutting the final 2 trees just fine, so I just sharpened it well when I got home. Frankly, I was very surprised … usually that mistake will cost ya!

Yeah the 261 is a sweet saw, I rocked a brand new chain on mine cutting up an Oak stump other day. Took a pretty good while and a cold drink or two to clean it back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fiskars X27 on clearance at Wal-Mart .$30.

Whoa!!!. I'm off to Wal Mart in the morning!! I was out yesterday PIcking up a load of rounds. PIcked up Fiskars to finish splitting a round, set it down. 4 hours later and 4 stops picking up a bit here and there, no Fiskars when I loaded up. Went back all the places, can't find. Grass is up to 7' tall in there.

Whoa!!!. I'm off to Wal Mart in the morning!! I was out yesterday PIcking up a load of rounds. PIcked up Fiskars to finish splitting a round, set it down. 4 hours later and 4 stops picking up a bit here and there, no Fiskars when I loaded up. Went back all the places, can't find. Grass is up to 7' tall in there.
They had a bunch of stuff on sale. Files,2 pack chains and more. i bought the last felling wedge they had for $3.

+1 on most of the above.

Decide on what it is that you want. Are you willing to burn any species? Will you burn construction/dimensional lumber? Are you willing to disassemble pallets? How much work you want to do. Etc.

I live in the city and have a small wood stove. I am willing to cut stuff larger than 2" to length to burn - a lot comes from people trimming just around the neighborhood (maple, oak, lilac, box elder, etc.). When tree services are working in the area, I ask for anything 2 to 20 inches, and they are usually happy to let me have it, or drop it in my yard, as long as I stay out of their way. When we have storms, I am there to help neighbors clean up (not just for the wood).

I've picked up hardwood pallets from nearby businesses. I won't burn plywood, particleboard, or painted stuff, but collect scraps from woodworking friends for kindling. Many industrial sites accumulate pallets and timbers from shipping crates - some will deliver for free, if you will take a whole semi-load. Look for pallet manufacturing companies in your region - they often have short, hardwood cut-offs. I have purchased delivered 'bundles' of slab wood from mills in the past - just cut to length. I use an electric saw in the city, which does not annoy my neighbors.

I don't have a splitter, so smaller stuff is easier to split (if needed) with a Fiskars and a stump.

We used to be able to take stuff out of our County's recycling yards, until the emerald ash borer (ESB) restrictions came. But we can scrounge locally.

+1 also on the out of season opportunities. It has to season anyway. Be flexible and creative.

Philbert

Oct 26th for the gtg? Here is the only load of wood that's been in the bed. Pre-finished Hickory Hardwood Flooring. Otherwise the bed is so high unless it's small or split its not going in the bed without a crane.
9451dda1baabb6dfb20ad0fd28fa86f7.jpg

a carpeted bed...cosy place for firewood rounds.

This has been my experience, also. I live just outside the city, but on my trips to the library, grocery, and hardware store, I always check on the merchants or institutions that have free pallets or construction offcuts or visit demolition sites.

Ask politely, remember who you talked to, arrive prepared and be able to load the wood yourself. If the merchants/contractors in your city know that (*ahem, stifled cough...*) you're an old widowed veteran, they are mostly happy to for you to save them the tipping fees.

I have literally been cleaning my cabin all day and I started yesterday. And it’s only 532 square feet. But between a cat, occasional wife and kids, and a several carpentry projects it gets dirty quickly.

The real killer was when I had to use the jigsaw to cut a piece of overhanging sheathing from the window well. Sawdust everywhere!!

abbott295 said:
We have the same kind of situation after my parents died. Over 65 years on the same farm, buildings started accumulating more stuff after they retired and had their sale. The closest one of us lives 500 miles from the home place, two about 800 miles, and one, the oldest and the executor, lives 1600 miles away. One example is that there is a pile of logs from trees that were taken out just a few (maybe five) years ago that my dad wanted to mill. Most of these are trees that we helped plant; maybe we were as old as our early teens, 50 plus years ago.

No local millers want the logs?

None of us is local. My dad had several years to try to find someone or something (He would have bought a mill. What to do with the lumber was an obstacle.) The last local sawmill we know of belonged to our great-uncle. It was sold into Missouri at his estate sale in the early '80s.

I have literally been cleaning my cabin all day and I started yesterday. And it’s only 532 square feet. But between a cat, occasional wife and kids, and a several carpentry projects it gets dirty quickly.

The real killer was when I had to use the jigsaw to cut a piece of overhanging sheathing from the window well. Sawdust everywhere!!
I vacuumed the car my wife normally drives last night, it's amazing how much 3 kids will trash a car :eek:, sure it doesn't help when you don't do anything to it for a long time. It's a beater with a heater that just won't die, if it didn't have AC I wouldn't own it, it owes us nothing. It's the best type of car I think, but I'll have to make a decision as to whether I want to "invest" a little cash into it or let it go real soon.

I vacuumed the car my wife normally drives last night, it's amazing how much 3 kids will trash a car :eek:, sure it doesn't help when you don't do anything to it for a long time. It's a beater with a heater that just won't die, if it didn't have AC I wouldn't own it, it owes us nothing. It's the best type of car I think, but I'll have to make a decision as to whether I want to "invest" a little cash into it or let it go real soon.
My kids have trashed several interiors as well.

Cabin looking great but been trying to haul junk bins out to the shed so kids can each have a dedicated bin of their own. I also have a box of kitchen wares to donate to the thrift shop. Stuff that’s never been used in the 19.5 years I’ve been up here since my dad passed. Can’t save everything!

Is the shorter one on clearance to? Found out pounding wedges with a full size axe ain't the best method the other day.

Rather snow and frozen then soft and soggy like last year.
i think i saw 1 or 2 shorter ones. i was hoping to find an axe but didn't see any.

Went to a party yesterday at one of my wife's cousin's houses on Long Island. I'm sure a lot of you will recognize the Holly Grail of Ford Engines. I believe this one was owned my MT himself!

Don't have a clue as to the HP with velocity stacks and injectors, but I do know the single 4 bbl version was 616 HP!

Attachments

• IMG_20190728_155240405_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190728_155240405_HDR.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20190728_155252806.jpg
    IMG_20190728_155252806.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 34

Latest posts

Back