Difference between Semi and Full Chisel chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually typed 99% then dropped it down as I was sure some smart arse from the PNW US/BC Canada would chime in with a "square ground/filed is all we see and use.." :D

but Rick, the PNW is 99% of the world........ the rest of us are just pretending to exisit

:greenchainsaw:

Hi all, i have only used semi chisel chain, i think it is a safety chain!!.

What is the difference between semi and full.

Is it a deeper cut or a more aggressive angle on the cutter?

What makes it more unsafe?

Help please

CC

Many Types seen in jpeg

Attachments

• Scan_20190728.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 14
I ran full chisel for many decades. I hardley ever hit the ground. I use a privy bar too so I can turn the logs over to cut the other sides.
I just tried full skip semi chisel cutting years ago at the local saw mill. My dealer told me to run it Incase of dirt in the wood he was right.
I still like the full chisel chain for speed.

Isn’t the semi chisel the new buzz word for the old chipper chain?

In hand, they look a little different, to me, with chipper having more rounded shape throughout the cutter. The profile on that pic looks pretty much identical tho.

Isn’t the semi chisel the new buzz word for the old chipper chain?

Not quite . The old chipper chain actually looks like a C . It had a distinctive round working corner . It was also the easiest chain to sharpen and took abuse in the dirt much better than full chisel or semi chisel. It wasn't the fastest chain out of the box or off the reel but held up well.

In my experience under normal fire wood cutting condition. The full chisel will last maybe a 100 hours. The semi-chisel about 200 hrs. All I can honestly see a full chisel is good for is competition. For my choice a semi chisel skip tooth. On the low profile chains, the skip tooth with bumper straps cuts faster than the skip tooth without bumper straps. Go figure!

Do we have different skip chains too? Like semi skip and full skip?

You know I never used semi chisel till I purchased my new 385 Xp and 575xp the dealer knew I was cutting up big timber at a saw mill that wasn’t quality lumber into firewood. The semi chisel didn’t cut that bad. I’d say it cut good with the longer bars.

Latest posts

Back