Makita saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbhooper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My kid just informed me that the fire crew that he works for in Idaho, purchased all new saws this season. They now have the Makita EA7900PRZ2. I really don't know much about these, but cannot find any bad reviews on them. Anybody here up to snuff on these saws? I understand that they are Dolmars, which has always been a good saw. I hope they have better dealer support than the Dolmars generally have.

You can air saw with one at a Home Depot that has tool rental. I wanted to like them when looking for a second saw but the ergonomics just weren't for me.

The kid called last night. I had not heard from him since they started on the fire north of McCall, Idaho. I asked him how the saws were performing and he said that they are real good, but they had to be tuned after running them for a bit, due to altitude. So far, so good. They had too much trouble with Stihls, choking out in thick smoke and that is why they went to the Makita. He told me that all the crews had the same issues. Interesting.

The kid just got back to Boise, after two weeks on the fire line. I asked him about the saws. He said that they ran well, once they broke them in and figured out that they had a switch by the carb for summer/winter operation. They had to flip that switch to whichever setting it was not on, and they ran great. There were two other problems. One was that the chain brake is super wimpy and they broke one. The part that actually brakes the chains is super small. They had to be real careful from then on, so that the brake was not slammed. Also, they kicked off at least one chain per day. He said that the bars were pretty wimpy and would easily bend. I suggested that may be the reason that the chains were coming off. If the bar is wimpy, even a slight torque may throw a chain.

He said that talking to other guys that had been doing it for a number of years, Husqvarna was the overall winner. They had very few issues with them compared to Stihl and now the Makitas.

It will be interesting to see how they hold up over the rest of the season, now that they understand how they have to treat them.

You can air saw with one at a Home Depot that has tool rental. I wanted to like them when looking for a second saw but the ergonomics just weren't for me.

Could you please try to describe how the ergonomics did not suit you (Dolmar/Makita 7910) for example compared to a Stihl or a Husqvarna, I'm just curious as if I was to buy one I would not be able to handle it first.

Could you please try to describe how the ergonomics did not suit you (Dolmar/Makita 7910) for example compared to a Stihl or a Husqvarna, I'm just curious as if I was to buy one I would not be able to handle it first.

I don't have much experience with a variety of saws and only handled the 64xx for a few minutes, so don't read too much into my preference. Like many other saws, it's just different from the smaller husky I use. I purchased a 357 because it feels very similar to the 350 that I've had for years.

I only have experience with my 6401, which I have run quite a lot. I find the handling and ergonomics just fine with the saw. They really are a great running/performing saw. My only complaint would be that it's a little chunky feeling after awhile compared to other 60cc class saws. However, the 7900/7910 in the same chassis has one of the best power to weight ratios out there, so would imagine that it would be a pleasure to run compared to other 70cc class saws.

I don't have much experience with a variety of saws and only handled the 64xx for a few minutes, so don't read too much into my preference. Like many other saws, it's just different from the smaller husky I use. I purchased a 357 because it feels very similar to the 350 that I've had for years.

I only have experience with my 6401, which I have run quite a lot. I find the handling and ergonomics just fine with the saw. They really are a great running/performing saw. My only complaint would be that it's a little chunky feeling after awhile compared to other 60cc class saws. However, the 7900/7910 in the same chassis has one of the best power to weight ratios out there, so would imagine that it would be a pleasure to run compared to other 70cc class saws.

Thanks guys, that is most helpful to me indeed.

Latest posts

Back