Saws stolen, deciding between....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhoKingGenius

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So, I've got a small scale salvage operation that I run... And as of a week ago, had a break in and they stole all of our running saws. So back to the drawing board, I've got a pile of saws that need tinkering and fixing and wanted to hear opinions on which are the best for what we cut here...

We're cutting:
Douglas Fir
Grand Fir
Maple
Alder
Birch
Arbutus
Red Cedar

Saws Available:
McCulloch Super Pro 81
McCulloch ProMac 850
Shindaiwa 680

The tree sizes range from 10" to 3' diameter on average with the occasional 4'-6' monster

Any input is appreciated!

I chain my saws to a tie beam in the barn thru the handles .

Some SOB tried to steal them, he found my hacksaw and cut the chain and himself. Must have been a good cut as blood all over and saws sill there.

Cops did nada. Lots of blood and bloody fingerprints in/on barn/saws/tools/building/cut chain. I guess they were late for coffee/doughnuts.

I've since upgraded to hi-test 3/8 logging chain, and bigger hardened padlock. Also installed more security lighting and cameras.

Attachments

• Bloody tools 2.jpg
    Bloody tools 2.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Blood.jpg
    Blood.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 63
  • Blood on saw.jpg
    Blood on saw.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Bloody chain 3.jpg
    Bloody chain 3.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Saws.jpg
    Saws.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 63
  • Door 2.jpg
    Door 2.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 62
I chain my saws to a tie beam in the barn thru the handles .

I like this approach.

516jLbvl0ZL.jpg

Sorry to hear of your loss. Those two Mac's will do the job nicely and they are smooth to operate and balance very well. They can handle a 36" bar just fine. I run 32" on mine and they have the torque of a ported 390xp, just less speed. A lot of loggers cut some pretty big trees in the 70's & 80's with those. RandyMac sure did with an 850.

OP, I am so sorry to hear this. Thieves sicken me. In late April thieves stole all of my hardwood firewood rounds that were ready to split, my log splitter, and all my maintenance tools in four days. I was in shock. Nobody knows who did it and/or nobody wants to say who did it. I'm done with all firewood deliveries this year and likely forever, but it was not my choice. Crooks decided to ruin my firewood delivery business, and they succeeded.

OP, I am so sorry to hear this. Thieves sicken me. In late April thieves stole all of my hardwood firewood rounds that were ready to split, my log splitter, and all my maintenance tools in four days. I was in shock. Nobody knows who did it and/or nobody wants to say who did it. I'm done with all firewood deliveries this year and likely forever, but it was not my choice. Crooks decided to ruin my firewood delivery business, and they succeeded.
Sorry to hear about your loss, Edwin, thieves sicken me also. It's always a good thing to store your valuables close to where you live if possible and keep everything locked up...at least that's what I try to do.

The crime rate here for theft is off the scale.

Sunday morning I went to Rural King around 10am with my 4 year old grand daughter to sell her rabbits. I get out of the truck and go around to open the tailgate. I heard someone scream and look up and some ****-hook is running past me with a complete Milwaukee power tool set, still banded with the security devices, with a couple of employees giving chase. He jumps into an older Ford F-150 and speeds off. I got a good look at him and partial license plate. One of the employees said he did the same thing couple of days earlier.

My son works for them at night and told me they have lost $110,000 in theft since they opened about a year ago. They have one guy on film loading up a push cart full of power equipment and going right out the front with it on a busy Saturday afternoon.

There is also a lot of daytime theft in Rural areas during the day while folks are at work. The police have some many other things to deal with the petty theft thing isn't even on their radar........Cliff

Sorry to hear about your loss, Edwin, thieves sicken me also. It's always a good thing to store your valuables close to where you live if possible and keep everything locked up...at least that's what I try to do.
That was the problem. All my firewood, my splitter, and my maintenance tools were being stored at a friend's nearby vacant lot, about 30 miles from where I live. The theft took place about five days prior to his death, so nothing was being watched. I learned that he was in hospice, under morphine. Throat and lung cancer killed him.

These thieves were like jackals, hyenas, or buzzards. I reported the theft to the sheriff, but he offered no hope. Many times the thieves have a buyer and the stolen goods get hauled out of the county or even the state.

The first sound the thief will hear is my dogs. Next it’s the ratchet on the 12 ga. I hardley sleep at night, I like to watch the dogs chew I don’t feed them that much lol

You do know that you can’t shoot someone for stealing your stuff right? Unless they’re in your house.

You do know that you can’t shoot someone for stealing your stuff right? Unless they’re in your house.
Thieves don’t know that. And if they do I’m sure they don’t know if I do or not! And I’m not sure if they’d be willing to gamble their life on it.
Don’t need to shoot them. Just scare the crap out of them:chainsaw:

Thieves don’t know that. And if they do I’m sure they don’t know if I do or not! And I’m not sure if they’d be willing to gamble their life on it.
Don’t need to shoot them. Just scare the crap out of them:chainsaw:
I had experienced small theft before, maybe half a truckload of split wood, but to see about 12 tons of freshly-gathered ash and hard maple rounds disappear was a complete shock, not to mention a really nice Brave log splitter, my sledge hammer, a prized all steel shovel, and even my fire extinguisher. What I needed was a mean guard dog -- Doberman, Rottweiller, German Shephard, etc. The land owner was a gun collector, but he was helpless, lying in bed and dying in pain.

Back