Does Anyone Own a SOLO chainsaw or Have Opinions on Them?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the Solo 680, 681, and Super Rex are supposed to be kinda strong, maybe even desirable.
I would say beyond “ maybe even desirable”. The 665 and 681( my main frame of reference) are modern, very well built, strong saws with outstanding power to weight. Allegedly there were some crank issues with some 6xx saws that were pushed far beyond the mfgr expectations in race applications. Super rex is ancient and totally unrelated, tho very desirable for a collector.

Is this thread dead yet? I resurrected my 654 and I'm pretty happy with it. I needed something between my super xl and my xp1050, and this powerhead was 10 bucks
f35f76e5914facc66e1485b1c5b1d645.jpg
6f54abff2d5c5e47f0f0c5cb5708f36f.jpg
08a33819c6b33489f0078d87789f5878.jpg
e19f1b816b7f74082bfbb7fa9fbe6e6e.jpg

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

The only Solo I own is a 603. It has been an excellent saw. Mine is the 'West Coast' version (Full wrap handle, Free breathing air filter and large dog/spike).

I have 24"...32"....and 43" bars for it. Run it with both 3/8" and 404 pitch chains (depending on the need).

Lots of torque. You can bury it in hardwood and lean on it....it really doesn't care.

Attachments

• 603short1.jpg
    603short1.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 603spike.jpg
    603spike.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Solo 603a.jpg
    Solo 603a.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 603WC.jpg
    603WC.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 30
  • sticker2.JPG
    sticker2.JPG
    283.1 KB · Views: 29
The only Solo I own is a 603. It has been an excellent saw. Mine is the 'West Coast' version (Full wrap handle, Free breathing air filter and large dog/spike).

I have 24"...32"....and 43" bars for it. Run it with both 3/8" and 404 pitch chains (depending on the need).

Lots of torque. You can bury it in hardwood and lean on it....it really doesn't care.
Nice looking saw, but come on, do you really use it? That's a beauty. :)

Yep, had found that previously and been in touch with the local "agent" who were not much help. Got on to the national importers of Solo products and they seem more promising- but for a very limited stock of parts. Can probably get seals and bearings, but not piston and ring.
The saw is in line to be pulled down and a full list of needed parts assembled- hopefully the piston and cylinder are savable, or the piston can be swapped out for more commonly found parts here.

......... 16 years later ............ and we are still alive!!!!!!!

I have had a Solo 636 for about 10 - 15 years. Bought it 2nd hand for AU$90. Love it. Lotsa grunt and really hammers. I go away for 3 or 6 months at a time and it will start up on the 3rd pull. I sold my stihls, huskys and macs and kept this. Still running like new. Looking to upgrade to more cc and will only get another Solo. Not sure who they were manufactured by before but i see they now come out of AL-Ko industries. I wonder if still German and if still so good?

I have had a Solo 636 for about 10 - 15 years. Bought it 2nd hand for AU$90. Love it. Lotsa grunt and really hammers. I go away for 3 or 6 months at a time and it will start up on the 3rd pull. I sold my stihls, huskys and macs and kept this. Still running like new. Looking to upgrade to more cc and will only get another Solo. Not sure who they were manufactured by before but i see they now come out of AL-Ko industries. I wonder if still German and if still so good?

Hey opalxx , my Solo 645 is a good step up to my 636 . Both saws are built similar to the Husqvarna 350 with the lower crank case half plastic molded in the chassis with the gas and oil tank .

This thread just keeps going . As I mentioned previously briefly owned a Solo 654 . I purchased it from a local shop used (demo) . It performed flawlessly as do most German built units. However the dealer network was really poor unfortunately . I have had a few blowers pass through the shop , saws are scarce lately . :(

A 681 Solo feels a lot stronger than a 461 or 372. The closest saw in power to weight is a 7900/7910 Dolmar (which looks surprisingly similar to a 681...wanna know why? cause Solo designed/engineered the 6400/7300/7900 series Dolmars). My 681 will run closer to my 660 or 390xp. They were at one stage THE best power to weight saw on the market. The 2009 catalogue was much bigger than both Stihl & Husky. They made great sprayers, brushcutters, backpack blowers and saws. Hedge trimmers were excellent too. We're making product in W/Germany since about the same time or earlier than Stihl. The factories were actually pretty close. If they were marketed as well as the major 2 brands Solo would be hands down number 1 in O-P-E.

A 681 Solo feels a lot stronger than a 461 or 372. The closest saw in power to weight is a 7900/7910 Dolmar (which looks surprisingly similar to a 681...wanna know why? cause Solo designed/engineered the 6400/7300/7900 series Dolmars). My 681 will run closer to my 660 or 390xp. They were at one stage THE best power to weight saw on the market. The 2009 catalogue was much bigger than both Stihl & Husky. They made great sprayers, brushcutters, backpack blowers and saws. Hedge trimmers were excellent too. We're making product in W/Germany since about the same time or earlier than Stihl. The factories were actually pretty close. If they were marketed as well as the major 2 brands Solo would be hands down number 1 in O-P-E.

Yep, think we do a lot better Solo wise than our "neighbours" across the other side of the Pacific. Not sure what it was like on your side of the ditch, but Solo did not manage to bust the Stihl stranglehold on the Pro market here- had they managed that, it could be a whole different story.
Hell even if they had displaced the second runner Husqvarna here, they would have a stronger following, but even with a lower initial price, they still never took hold.
They still have a pretty good service dealership coverage this side of the Tasman.

Solo...or, a company named Solo is still selling concrete saws and i can only advise against them. They are good looking and do run well if you can get them to start...the customer service is a joke...no help at all from them and they list shops on their site as dealers who have never heard of them.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Back