Stihl 2 in 1 chain sharpener question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly it’s just a side effect of manufacturing. Any time a chunk of steel gets heat treated there’s no guarantee of a perfect outcome. It’s position in the oven could’ve changed how hot it got. Even how quickly it cooled off. Files are typically mid 60s Rockwell so they can cut 99% of materials out there. It takes an exact science in order for perfection to be produced. It’s unfortunate that you happened to find the odd ball but the replacement should be good to go.

I use mine with the depth gauge file removed, it does a good job on the cutters. It was taking the depth gauges down too far on both sides.
It was worse on semi chisel than full chisel, the semi was unusable after sharpening it was so grabby but the full chisel was just a little bit grabby. I have Oregon .325 chain, both the semi chisel speed cut and full chisel lpx, it may work great on stihl chain but I'll never know, I don't have any.

Replacement STIHL depth gauge files for that are $11 each. Ought to be flat for that.

With almost any type of chain filing, people are stronger on one side than the other. So counting strokes is not always the best way to file them evenly.

Yours was bent. But even with a "good" 2-in-1 file guide you may need to adjust either the amount of force, or the number of strokes, to get a balanced chain.

Philbert

For that price it better be straight.

I don't count strokes, I do what it takes til that tooth is sharp. Just happens on this chain that it was about 3 or 4 strokes on each. May have been some that needed 5 or 6, point was chain wasn't too bad to begin and how few strokes it took to bring depth gauge down that far.

Point taken though, I'm sure its going take several sharpening sessions to get the feel of this file down.

Hey Mogul!

I couldn't help noticing that the LH cutters were longer than the RH cutters by a fair margin. Technically, the shorter teeth should have lower depth gauges to keep them cutting properly, so the problem may not be with the depth gauge file. I would look for the reason in length difference, because this may cause the issue you are describing. Maybe there's nothing wrong with the file? Would be interesting to know....

Mike

Hey Mogul!

I couldn't help noticing that the LH cutters were longer than the RH cutters by a fair margin. Technically, the shorter teeth should have lower depth gauges to keep them cutting properly, so the problem may not be with the depth gauge file. I would look for the reason in length difference, because this may cause the issue you are describing. Maybe there's nothing wrong with the file? Would be interesting to know....

Mike

That's what I see as well. ;)

Bummer about the bent file. It's hard to tell but you may be deeper in the gullet on one side too, but both sides look too deep. Notice the file depth in the pic train posted. Others have posted a general rule of thumb that 1/5 the diameter of the file should be above the top plate.

Filing too low in the gullet like that might also account for the low rakers JW51 had.

Good luck. I filed some nice arc cutters before learning a little more. Pretty sure everyone does.

Bummer about the bent file. It's hard to tell but you may be deeper in the gullet on one side too, but both sides look too deep. Notice the file depth in the pic train posted. Others have posted a general rule of thumb that 1/5 the diameter of the file should be above the top plate.

Filing too low in the gullet like that might also account for the low rakers JW51 had.

Good luck. I filed some nice arc cutters before learning a little more. Pretty sure everyone does.

Just for clarification, those pics were of a chain yet to be sharpened by me, its how they came, and pretty much everything was wrong on that chain, pics show where the file should be from the roller guide, and how it is different to the shapes, angles on the tooth its about to sharpen.

Hey Mogul!

Mike

Yeah there is some slight difference in tooth length, but the nice thing about the 2 in 1 is that it chases that shorter length because the guide that sets gauge height rides on the tooth being filed and the one before it. As the teeth get shorter each depth gauge is cut accordingly.

This is all great info I've picked up from this thread. Lots of good details here, however, I flipped the square file over in the tool and when ran across the low gauges it didn't even touch. So I think the main problem was that. But lots of good tips to be assured I'll have a sharp chain using the 2 in 1 and free hand filing.:cheers:

I find my ones to take too much off the depth gauges eventually, so I took the raker files out of my 2 in 1s and just use them to sharpen the chain. I then go and manually do the rakers. It allows you to take a little more off so cuts faster. Stihl have them set minimal so amateurs dont get hurt after using the 2in1.

Guess I’ll lay the rake files on a flat surface and check for true. But even if I discover something there, I doubt I will ever use it much.

Watching a couple BBR videos, and with a little bit of practice.....I’m already semi-competent with just the round file. I’m sure many here could point out flaws in my chains. And I know my angles are less than perfect, but they cut fast and smooth when I’m done and throw nice chips.

I bought the 2 in 1 thinking it would be easy for a rookie. I guess the purchase was still valuable in the sense that it taught me that sharpening isn’t rocket surgery, and there’s some margin of error.

Good catch on the file. I own more than a couple of those guides and have not had any issues with them so far, beyond typical wear and tear on the files. Getting one with with a misshaped depth gauge file would be discouraging. Hopefully a rare occurrence.

Back